Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss News release hails Yeti, yet still in B mode in the News & Rumors forums; Does anyone find it interesting that WDWnews.com, the official news source for Walt Disney World, has a press release hailing the technological advancements of the Yeti in Expedition Everest, yet ...
    clion is offline Fastpass Holder

News release hails Yeti, yet still in B mode

Does anyone find it interesting that WDWnews.com, the official news source for Walt Disney World, has a press release hailing the technological advancements of the Yeti in Expedition Everest, yet the much-hailed feature has been in B mode for a year now? If you look at the release date for the news release, it's actually from 2006, yet it's been re-issued as if it's a new item.

Disney Imagineers Combine Science, Art to Create Expedition Everest?s Fearsome Yeti

I wonder if this means Disney is re-thinking getting the Yeti back into it's main mode. I had heard that Disney was having a hard time making repairs that wouldn't involve shutting down Everest for quite a while.
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

Re: News release hails Yeti, yet still in B mode

They are having a hard time to repair it because it is like in the middle of the ride or something like that so it is hard for them to get to.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

tdf192 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Well the problem is that to fix the problem they would have to close the whole ride down for a while which they are unwilling to do atm. Also the company which made the Yeti hs gone bust and so getting new replacement parts has become very hard / impossible and so Disney might have to go through other channels.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Even in B mode, you got to admit, it's still fun.

Jetjaguar is offline D-Ticket Holder

What's B mode? Does that have anything to do with the reduced lighting around the Yeti part of the ride?

9/2004 - Polynesian - first time at WDW!
    10/2005 - Not the Polynesian (Port Orleans)
    12/2006 - 1/2007 - Polynesian - Christmas & New Year's!
    10/2008 - Polynesian for Halloween!

Fun2BFree is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'm annoyed I may never see the Yeti in its A mode.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by Jetjaguar View Post
    What's B mode? Does that have anything to do with the reduced lighting around the Yeti part of the ride?
    The Yeti does not move...the lighting is darker and a strobe light it used for effect.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

WDWmemories is offline C-Ticket Holder

I can't find the reference now, but I read somewhere that Yeti will probably be stuck in "B" (non-moving) mode for a long time. The issue is that the physical forces needed to move this huge figure are so high that the concrete structure on which he stands can't take the stresses. So it would be a big and expensive project to fix him.
    Check out free high resolution Disney World Pictures and Disney Vacation information.

neverland23 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I am very sad to hear that B mode will continue to run for a long time, but I am fortunate to have seen the Yeti in all it's A mode glory. Possibly the best ride effect in the entire world!
    Kati
    91'offsite, 92'Caribbean Beach, 93'Caribbean Beach, 94'Beach Club, 96'Boardwalk, 97' Disneyland Hotel, 98'Beach Club , 00'Caribbean Beach, 02'Animal Kingdom Lodge, 04'Wilderness Lodge, 05'Grand Californian, 06'Beach Club, 07'Saratoga Springs, 08' Beach Club

D23 Charter Member

Drink up me hearties, yo ho!
    Next trip ~ July 19 - 26 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Disnyfan83 is offline Fastpass Holder

The Yeti in "B" mode still raises screams throughout the train! In fact, the first time I rode Everest, that "A" mode Yeti almost made me pee my pants!!!!
    Leslie Henson
    leslieH@mei-travel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Old Magic Kingdom Tour Guides never retire -- we still tell people where to go and what to do!

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

I think what is really wrong is that all of the Travel Channel specials that talk about this still show i in "A" mode. I know that they were recorded a while ago but I still think they should add something about the Yeti being down.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

RBrooksC is offline A-Ticket holder

My guess would be this will not be changed for quite a while. The Yeti in "A" mode might be neat, the fact that it is in "B" mode does not change their story for the ride. And, the Yeti in either mode doesn't stop the cars from moving. Couple that with which would most likely be an extraordinary cost to "fix" the Yeti, it may be in Disney's best interest to NOT fix the Yeti.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Although I've heard an occasional report of people seeing it in A mode, it definitely was in B mode early last week, and yesterday morning (rode it 4 times by 9:30am!). It also shut down later that morning for some issue.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news