Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss New Swiss Family in the News & Rumors forums; This isn't really park related, but it does relate to a park attraction... confused yet? Word on the movie sites is that Disney is working on putting together a remake ...
    Xharryb is offline C-Ticket Holder

New Swiss Family

This isn't really park related, but it does relate to a park attraction... confused yet? Word on the movie sites is that Disney is working on putting together a remake of Swiss Family Robinson. It would be a new film, but not thankfully updated to a modern setting. It would still be set in the original period of the piece. So here's my question... what do you think of this idea? will it work? will it be yet another bomb? what are your thoughts on how they could do it right or wrong (and will it matter)? and what might the potential effect of this film be in the parks (might they rehab the treehouse to fit the newer film?)? thoughts anyone?
    This space designated as a DRAMA FREE ZONE

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    I think that this may, in fact, be a pretty good idea. One thing I have noticed is that many kids can't often relate to attractions, etc. based on older films (e.g. Swiss family, Mr. Toad, etc.). If done correctly, it could open a up a great story to a whole new generation who might otherwise never see the film (or even read the story for that matter). And as much as I'm not for "updating" of original attractions, etc., a slight rehab of the Treehouse, which is think is often overlooked by many park guests as boring (among other things), might be a good thing.

(my 2 cents):$$:
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

aesalsa is offline A-Ticket holder

Wink

I absolutely LOVE SFT, and I don't think it's boring at all(I actually find it quite remarkable)--even though I didn't get to see it on my last two WDW visits. If a movie is in planning, I have one thing to say--IT BETTER BE GOOD! I'm not a fan of the lay-it-on-thick, cheesy humor a la The Haunted Mansion.

Erika
    A Self-proclaimed Disney Freak (And Proud Of It!) :mickey:

BethBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    Has anyone else seen the SFTH in Disneyland - it was rehabed into a Tarzan Tree House - pretty lame...

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Believe me, I understand that Disney doesn't run its parks out of the goodness of ttheir collective hearts - they're in it to make money. Fine.

However, I don't necessarily agree with making every single attraction in the park associated with a movie, TV show, etc. Is this the price we pay for Disney losing (or failing to renew?) corporate sponsorships? Must we now lose attracions like Mr. Toad because they can sell more Pooh items? (Although I would have loved a Toad plush, myself!!)

The Tarzan Treehouse is just another example. And it happeneing at WDW, too. Sure, we're all excited about a rehab of the Living Seas... into a Nemo ride. And the rumors of the Canada attraction being a Brother Bear ride aren't too far fetched.

Some more examples include:

-Magic Carpets of Aladdin
    -Alien Encounter being eaten by Stitch
    -Even the old Tiki Room now has Aladdin and Lion King characters.

OK... let me be clear... I'm not complaining. I like most of these attractions. But please don't sacrifice the classic just to sell some T-shirts.

(Mickeybabe can have her soapboax from one of the other forums back now)
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

aesalsa is offline A-Ticket holder

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by BethBreakey
    Has anyone else seen the SFTH in Disneyland - it was rehabed into a Tarzan Tree House - pretty lame...
    That's DISGUSTING!!!! And Pretty Lame! I hope that they don't touch the one in WDW. Hasn't everyone gotten over that whole Tarzan thing? IMO, it's not one of the Disney greats--not very memorable. . .so why theme an already-great, historic attraction after that? It's all so sad. . .

Erika
    A Self-proclaimed Disney Freak (And Proud Of It!) :mickey:

tiggerguy is online now As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly
    Quote Originally Posted by aesalsa
    That's DISGUSTING!!!! And Pretty Lame! I hope that they don't touch the one in WDW. Hasn't everyone gotten over that whole Tarzan thing? IMO, it's not one of the Disney greats--not very memorable. . .so why theme an already-great, historic attraction after that? It's all so sad. . .

It's doubtful that they will change the WDW version. The DL version was changed just about 4 years ago.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

tkdlouie is offline A-Ticket holder
    well when i was at the MK about a month ago the swiss family robinson tree was completely closed for renovation so i dont know if that means anything?????

ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough
    IMDb says that this movie's supposed to come out this year. i wonder why it's not a big deal yet.
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio

ChampDisney is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I personally just heard about Disney being in the works of a Jungle Cruise movie that will be released next year but nothing about the Swiss Family Robinson remake unless you guys back then in 2004 were talking about Meet the Robinsons. And there is news on the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse & this comes straight from Jim Hill Media....

"The Swiss Family Treehouse would be ripped out & replaced by a full-sized version of the Black Pearl that you could explore."

And if you guys haven't found out the news to this then I'll gave you the story to it all....
    Jim Hill : Why (For) Disney doesn't feel all that bad about missing out on the theme park rights to "Harry Potter" ?

alalune042 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Last time I was there (May) the ride was closed...
    NADIA

a dream is a wish your heart makes