Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss I would love a "LOST" ride in the News & Rumors forums; Hi, this is my first post here. I found the forum through the iTunes podcasts. Anyway, for a long time I've thought that the TV show "LOST" would serve as ...
    VirginiaCreeper is offline A-Ticket holder

I would love a "LOST" ride

Hi, this is my first post here. I found the forum through the iTunes podcasts.

Anyway, for a long time I've thought that the TV show "LOST" would serve as the perfect premise for a ride. It's an ABC series, so if any park were to consider it it would most likely be Disney (World hopefully).

I was just curious if there have ever been any rumblings that anyone is aware of?

Jaxum is offline D-Ticket Holder

Re: I would love a "LOST" ride

Interesting idea.... You would need to place it in Hollywood Studios as it wouldn't fit anywhere else.
    Jaxum- Disneyland Aficionado!
    Disneyland, WDW, and DLPR Annual Passholder
    D23 1st Day Charter Member
    My Disneyland and WDW videos and photos!
    http://youtube.com/tkfore21 .... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaxum_readis/sets/

Disney days for 2009:
    Disneyland:(27) / Tokyo Parks:(4) / WDW:(19)
    Total Days in the parks for 2009: 50!
    Disney Days for 2010:
    Disneyland: (27) / WDW:(31) / DLRP: (6)
    Total Days in the parks for 2010: 63!
    Disney Days for 2011:
    Disneyland: (0) / WDW:(17)
    Total Days so far in the parks for 2010: 17!

D23 and Other events:
    Expo '09, Candlelight Spectacular '09, Magic and Merriment '09, D23 Anniversary DL/WDW, Studio Tour April '10, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Destination D: Disneyland 55, Disneyland Scavenger Hunt, Sip and Stroll '10, Tangled Screening, TRON Pop-up Shop, Magic & Merriment '10, Everest Challenge '09, Adventurer's Club Weekend '09, DL Candlelight '09, Gumball Rally '10, WDW Radio 24 Hour Live Show '10, Disneyland's 55th Anniversary, Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet '10, Mickey's Halloween 5k '10,WDW Radio Walkabout '10, ConGaloosh '10, DL Candlelight '10

maxg is offline A-Ticket holder

VirginiaCreeper,

Do you think you could give us an idea of what you think this ride might be like? Would it be an 'E-Ticket' attraction?

Experiment_626 is offline B-Ticket Holder

There were rumors a while back that Discovery Island would be re-themed into a Lost-related experience, but nothing ever came of it.

With only one season left for the series (just 17 hours left!), I kind of doubt they'll do anything at this point. Honestly, what kind of ride would they do? You get to crash on flight 815 (or narrowly avoid crashing thanks to Frank Lapidus' piloting skills on Ajira 316)? Or maybe you get to ride the Smoke Monster ...

SSB

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

The Discovery Island rumor was the closest I thin we'll see to a LOST attraction.

Well actually I was thinking that they wouldn't even fully have the ride mapped out until "Lost" ends a year from now. To get the full concept of how to even go about planning something of a "Lost" attraction I imagine you will have had to have seen the entire series from start to finish. Something that happened back in season 3 may not make since or be relevent a year from now, which is when the show will conclude. If you watch the show you know exactly what I mean.

"Lost" has a massive presence online (most watched show online). It's very big internationally. DVD sales are always strong as new people are discovering the show for the first time. Besides after the show wraps, I could see it as sort of an "X-Files", "Star Trek", "Star Wars", etc. franchise that lives on in other incarnates. Even the producers of "Lost" have hinted at that.

It would indeed have to appeal to the masses, though. To people who have never watched the series. I'm sure there are people who love "Star Tours" who aren't necessarily "Star Wars" fans or maybe who've never even seen the movies. That attraction was built about six years after the last "Star Wars" film and ten years before the next series of films.

Sell the ride first, then the show on which it's based.

As for the ride itself, there are so many possibilities. Of course you would be riding Oceanic (flight 815), not Ajira airlines because Oceanic is far more iconic to the show at this point. Pilot Seth Norris of course. You'd only hear his voice. I'm thinking a similator ride inside a theater. The plane breaks apart in the sky. You find yourself on the beach surrounded by wreckage. Board a Dharma van, white flash, you're transported 1977. Polar bears and the smoke monster are involved. That sounds lame, but you get the idea. It can be done.

I love animatronics so I'd want them to find a way to include those as well. Maybe a John Locke animatronic in the queue asking the waiting ride-goers, "Do you want to know a secret?" (from season 1; that line gave me chills, btw), building the intrigue.

And there can be an exhibit nearby housing authentic "Lost" props and costumes: a Dharma van, one of Sayid's signature black tank tops, Jughead just to name a few.

Michael Giacchino's "Lost" scores can be playing over the speakers outside of the entrance. He's the composer of several Disney films as well, including "Up" and "The Incredibles". So there's sort of another Disney connection.

So you get the general idea. I love "Lost" and I love Disney World. I want to see them converge. I know I sound like a geeky kid, maybe I am at heart.

After I posted this thread last night I actually Googled "Lost ride" and I found an interview from a couple of weeks ago where the "Lost" producers were playfully talking about a "Lost" ride:

Cuse: "This is the Jurassic Park-type theory. Ö I think this theory would work really well for the Lost Ride if (ABC owner) Disney were ever to create one at Disneyland."
    Lindelof: "Especially since the word 'imagineer' is thrown in here."
    Cuse: "Imagine that you go on this ride and many Disney cast members dressed as Others basically attack and pummel you throughout the ride. I think that sounds very exciting."
    Lindelof: "We've always discussed that the ultimate Lost Ride at Disneyland would be that they just put you in a dark room, close the door, don't let you out for four hours and spin it around really fast so you come out and you don't know exactly what just happened to you. That sort of best simulates the experience of watching the show.

So there. I know they're joking, but it's out there. I just hope that if it does happen it happens at WDW not Land.

Disney's Folly is offline C-Ticket Holder

As a huge Lost fan, my only issue with this is that it would have made more business-sense if done a few years ago. At this point, not only would the show be completed but possibly off the air for a few years, before any Lost "ride" or "land" were to be developed. I'm not discounting the fandom of the franchise and how long it may last. But it remains to be seen how much a series finale may alienate fans if it's not as fulfilling as hoped.

The biggest issue is that as great as it is, Lost isn't Star Wars or Indiana Jones, or (gasp!) Harry Potter. It struggles to bring in an audience on most nights so I don't think it's as easy of a wide-appeal as people may think. I think the time to do it would've been in Season 1 when it was a huge hit.

As for Discovery Island...as much as I liked the idea when I first heard it, it's a bit preposterous unless they could find a way to make it that you couldn't see land, the Wilderness Lodge, boats and the Contemporary from the shores of the island, which on the show is meant to be a deserted island in the middle of nowhere!

lollerstace is offline A-Ticket holder

it's hard by the time they would develop and place the ride in place, how relevant would it be? its like how american idol just opened. i haven't experienced it yet, and i hear its really cool, but how many years does AI have left? just like who wants to be a millionaire closing. i wonder how the kim possible attraction will go over at epcot, since it's not like a ride i guess it might last longer, it seems pretty cool even if you arent that interested in kim possible, but still. its hard to determine between trends and what will last.
    a dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by lollerstace View Post
    it's hard by the time they would develop and place the ride in place, how relevant would it be? its like how american idol just opened. i haven't experienced it yet, and i hear its really cool, but how many years does AI have left? just like who wants to be a millionaire closing. i wonder how the kim possible attraction will go over at epcot, since it's not like a ride i guess it might last longer, it seems pretty cool even if you arent that interested in kim possible, but still. its hard to determine between trends and what will last.
    Yeah but they got AI opened while the show is still a huge hit (as seen by this year's continued frenzy). Quite honestly it's not my cup of tea at all so I'm not one to defend anything AI-related but i think this was a smarter decision. Mostly because all AI really is is a Karaoke contest at its core. And people will always love to sing and compete. Even if the show eventually disappears. Plus, i understood that construction wasn't as extensive as it would have been for an entirely new ride or pavilion. Which makes me think they didn't have to put a lot of money into something that's likely to lure a lot of people. (And at the end of the day can be replaced by America's next great reality TV show, probably something like "Octomom Nation")

InPerfectClouds is offline A-Ticket holder

Gosh, I get chills just thinking about a Lost ride. It would kill it. Disney owns a tiny little island and was apparently looking into doing something with it, but there is a bird sanctuary on it. How cool would it have been to take you on the "sub" to the island?

I don't think it's too far-fetched to think they could come up with a Lost ride in the future at all. It would be an amazing idea.

MagicMom is offline C-Ticket Holder

Ok, I was sitting here thinking about VirginiaCreeper's ride description. I was picturing it, rather than as a simulator, as a hybrid of styles borrowed from Dinosaur! and Kilmanjaro Safari. Riders could either be Dharma recruits or maybe even a search and rescue team from Oceanic. The vehicle could cover different parts of the island passing different locations from the show like the Orchid or the Dharma villages, or the hatch. Live actors could interact as survivors, Others, etc.

The only thing I couldn't overcome was the idea that this attraction would not be in a theme park, but isolated off behind a resort. Surely the resort guests do not want major crowds trapsing through the Deluxe Resort for which they are paying. But the suggestion made by InPerfectClouds about riding the sub, really cool! It would have to launch from behind Tomorrowland, but World Drive presents a problem.

Being an obvious Lost geek, I think it is a lot of fun to dream up ideas for this attraction. However, it would more than likely cost an extremely large amount of money to build and run. I doubt that Disney would net enough profit to lay out the capital it would take to build an attraction to their standards.

But, we can dream, can't we?
    Last edited by MagicMom; 06-19-2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: grammar

lazylaces is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I currently reside in "Good" "Old" Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney's Folly View Post
    That's convenient!
    I don't waste time jumping into the action.
    Check out my photostream... Please?

Is that site legit?!

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I think the concept of a Lost ride has a fatal flaw: Just like the show it would have no ending...it just goes on and on and onnnnnnnnn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast