Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Fort Wilderness Water Park?? in the News & Rumors forums; So I've been hearing rumor on and off lately about WDW opening a full blown water park in Fort Wilderness, like Typhoon Lagoon size. Anyone else hear or know anything ...
    Ayhab is offline D-Ticket Holder

Fort Wilderness Water Park??

So I've been hearing rumor on and off lately about WDW opening a full blown water park in Fort Wilderness, like Typhoon Lagoon size. Anyone else hear or know anything about this?
    Ayhab the Arab
    It's amazing to think that this all started with one little mouse.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: Fort Wilderness Water Park??

Never heard of it.

They did in the past year or so apparently relocate the slide from the old River Country water park to the main pool. And before that there were rumors of rehabbing River Country to perhaps become part of FW, but nothing became of it.

IF they were to do something, it would probably be with River Country, but it is nowhere near the size of TL or BB.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

I doubt that rumor is plausible. I just don't see them doing that. I do miss River Country. That was a fun water park

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I think that is just another rumor circulating around. At this point, River Country woudl be too expensive to bring back and a new water park is probably out of the question. Maybe the pools at WL will recieve some rehabs with more water park type entertainment.

RuddyWDW is offline Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery

Dont think WDW need another water park, I doubt they could afford it either, especially since Disney will be spending a lot on the Fantasyland upgrade.

Ruddy

Quote Originally Posted by RuddyWDW View Post
    Dont think WDW need another water park, I doubt they could afford it either, especially since Disney will be spending a lot on the Fantasyland upgrade.
    The only argument I can see for a third water park right now is that the existing ones have been closing for capacity pretty often as of late.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

River Country frequently used to be closed due to capacity, back in the day.

Disnyfan83 is offline Fastpass Holder

I would love to see them bring back River Country. I loved the "low tech" feel of it!! After seeing Google maps pictures of it recently, and of it's decay, it would take waaay to much money and effort to bring it back to it's glory days.
    Leslie Henson
    leslieH@mei-travel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Old Magic Kingdom Tour Guides never retire -- we still tell people where to go and what to do!

RuddyWDW is offline Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery

Quote Originally Posted by Disnyfan83 View Post
    I would love to see them bring back River Country. I loved the "low tech" feel of it!! After seeing Google maps pictures of it recently, and of it's decay, it would take waaay to much money and effort to bring it back to it's glory days.

Its really sad, just like they've forgotten its even there anymore.

Ruddy

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I remember back a year or so ago hearing that they could no longer get away with the fresh water thing. Even the lakes are tested to see if they are open for swimming now a days. Little current, so many birds, the park would likely be closed more than it was open with testing requirements. As I recall the originally hotels at one time had lake swimming and that went wayward also.

The other two are chlorine parks, little to no problems there.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I remember back a year or so ago hearing that they could no longer get away with the fresh water thing. Even the lakes are tested to see if they are open for swimming now a days. Little current, so many birds, the park would likely be closed more than it was open with testing requirements. As I recall the originally hotels at one time had lake swimming and that went wayward also.

The other two are chlorine parks, little to no problems there.
    From what I understand, River Country was not directly connected to Bay Lake (although it is real close). Various rumors seem to indicate that the water kept being contaminated from Bay Lake anyways, and that may have contributed to the closure.

I don't know how much testing is done of freshwater sources in Florida, but the main cause of concern nowadays comes from a parasitic amoeba that thrives in warm shallow fresh water that can in rare cases enter the body and reach the brain, causing what is called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis. It is very difficult to treat and often fatal.
    Doc

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I seem to remember the Polynesian used to have swimming in the lake.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I don't know how much testing is done of freshwater sources in Florida, but the main cause of concern nowadays comes from a parasitic amoeba that thrives in warm shallow fresh water that can in rare cases enter the body and reach the brain, causing what is called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis. It is very difficult to treat and often fatal.
    Yep, that would be a reason to close it. And if I were Disney I would not put that in the press release. I'd just nail up the closed sign.

Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    I seem to remember the Polynesian used to have swimming in the lake.
    Hmmm. Showing your age too,
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.