Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Studio Backlot Bulldozed???? in the News & Rumors forums; From WDW News Today: Studio Backlot Bulldozed??? December 28, 2009 at 7:07 AM EST A few days ago, we reported on an interesting refurbishment that was announced for both the ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Studio Backlot Bulldozed????

From WDW News Today:

Studio Backlot Bulldozed???

December 28, 2009 at 7:07 AM EST

A few days ago, we reported on an interesting refurbishment that was announced for both the Studio Backlot Tour and the Studio Catering Co. at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, scheduled to take place between February 15, 2010 and March 28, 2010. A few days later, it was announced that the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure would be closed for refurbishment during that same period. Rumors are now circulating that these closures are for more than routine maintenance, they may indeed be permanent closures. These rumors go back to a few previous reports we had made about possible changes to the Hollywood Studios backlot area (Which can be read HERE and HERE), including rumors of a Monsters Inc. themed roller-coaster going into the vacant Soundstage 1, a smaller version of Radiator Springs Racers replacing the Backlot Studio Tour, the Backlot Catering Co. becoming a Monsters Inc. or Ratatouille themed eatery, and the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure would being re-themed to “A Bug’s Life”.
    Again, this is simply a rumor at this time, but if true, these locations will permanently close on February 15th and will not return on March 29th as Disney is stating. Since this is all rumor at this point, we don’t know when any phases of the changes would be completed or if Disney will simply let the locations sit and wait for work to near completion on the huge Fantasyland expansion at the Magic Kingdom. It is very hard to believe that Disney would conduct huge expansions of both the Studio Backlot at Hollywood Studios and Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom simultaneously, but it is also very strange to see three major pieces of the backlot area go down for refurbishment at the same time. As you can see in this report, our information is limited, but we will report more on this breaking story as more becomes available. Stay tuned….

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: Studio Backlot Bulldozed????

Sounds good to me! I think the Studios is the best place for Pixar related attractions, to go along with Pixar Place.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

bety is offline Disney World Beast

If this is true, I'm glad I did the backlot tour this year. It was the first time I've done it in about 15 years and I think I would have regretted not seeing it again before the end of its time.
    July 1994- off site
    February 1999- Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2000- Caribbean Beach
    January 2004- off site
    February 2006- Pop Century
    April 2006- off site
    January 2007- Pop Century
    December 2007- Coronado Springs
    December 2008- Pop Century
    December 2009- Coronado Springs/All Star Sports
    Next trip: December 2010- All Star Music

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Of the four parks, the Hollywood Studios could really use a major facelift. I can't remember the last time I actaully stopped to shop in any of the stores on the way to or from the main entrance, and outside of a small handful of mainstay attractions, the place is pretty usless. Once the Christmas lights come down, does anyone really spend any time on New York Ave? of course not. It's a cut-through to the silly little car stunt show. The change to A Bug's Life should have been made ages ago. Does any child young enough to play there even know what Honey, I Shrunk the Kids was? I'm surprised they even bothered (thankfully) to take Roger Rabbit out of that area. Or **** Tracy, for that matter. Time to breathe some much-needed life into what has become a less-than-half-day park these days.
    Last edited by supernova; 12-30-2009 at 10:20 PM.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder

Thanks for the heads up... Guess I'll have to get some photos and a ride/walk through, just in case.

If this is true, I think it's a good thing. The studios is a good place for Pixar and expanding Pixar Place into the slowly declining Backlot is a good thing in my opinion. This brings up another question though... I've always considred Streets of America as part of the backlot (since the old tour did kinda included it). Would this area be bulldozed as well? If that is the case, I wonder what would happen to the Osborne Lights...

Ok... I'm done with my continuous speculation.
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I would like to see Pixar expanded as well. While I enjoyed the backlot tour, and even got picked to be the PT boat skipper two years ago, I love the Pixar films and would love to see more Pixar themed attractions.

Finkelstein is offline A-Ticket holder

Have done the Backlot Tour a couple of times but to be honest I would not mourn its passing. It was a passable enough distraction but nothing more than that. I really like DHS but find it a bit of a mish-mash of a park with some areas seemingly forgotten and a couple of attractions that are either way to slight to justify their existance, Narnia, or too old to be relevant although I can accept their is a large sentimental and nostalgic reason for their popularity, I am thinking of TGMR in this instance.

Personally I feel that Pixar is now firmly established and the films and characters they have created are immensely popular across a variety of age groups and interests so it makes sense to increase their placement in the parks. Given the forthcoming developments of MK I think DHS is perfectly placed to cater to the interests of those whose world is not all about Princesses and Pixies.

Then again it may all come to nothing....still its good to dream.

Gordon
    99 - Offsite, 2004 - Offsite, 2006 - Pop Century,
    2008 - POFQ, 2010 - OKW

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

most of that sounds good to me except I don't think I would be inclined to eat at a restaurant run by rats
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Have done the Backlot Tour a couple of times but to be honest I would not mourn its passing. It was a passable enough distraction but nothing more than that. I really like DHS but find it a bit of a mish-mash of a park with some areas seemingly forgotten and a couple of attractions that are either way to slight to justify their existance, Narnia, or too old...
    Gordon
    I agree, Gordon. It's only a matter of time before no one remembers Narnia. That's the big problem I have with Universal Studios. They tend to bank their money on popular attractions for the times, but later on, they feel outdated. Men In Black? Twister? Back to the Future??? Yet they took out the Hitchcock and Hannah Barbara, and King Kong rides, which are more timeless than the stupid Ghost Busters car that still drives around the streets there. Now with the Harry Potter world going it, that'll be relevant for about ten years or so, now that the books are done. By the time the Potter fans grow up and forget about the books, the new generation will be on to the new "Twilight" of the decade, whatever that fad turns out to be. So stop calling your rides Jurassic Park and make it a dinosaur ride. Sure, Jaws is a neat ride. But in 2010, what the **** is ET???
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by GIOny View Post
    most of that sounds good to me except I don't think I would be inclined to eat at a restaurant run by rats
    Sounds like a cheesy idea to me.

Thank you. I'm here all week.

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

Honestly DHS is in need of some TLC. The Back Lot tour is a mess. Other than disaster canyon and the pre-show it doesn't really have any purpose. The Version II for Star Tours is a good step. Revamping the Honey i Shrunk the kids is a good idea, that thme hasn't aged well. Throwing in some PIXAR works those age very well. They might as well use the current narnia spot showcase feature movies as theya re releases. i seem to remmber they tried showcasing the Haunted Mansion movie there a few years back
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by GIOny View Post
    Kinda like the rat that appears in the French restaurant in Epcot.

Ever since they smooched the houses and the drive through operating studio, it was a waste of time. Rode it last time and we said never again unless they add to it. Well closing it, next best.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Ever since they smooched the houses and the drive through operating studio, it was a waste of time.
    Someone's been out kissing houses? We need to call Disney security!

lollerstace is offline A-Ticket holder

so it's been over a month since this was posted, and we're nearing the closing dates ... any news on this rumor that i hope is true??
    a dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I agree, Gordon. It's only a matter of time before no one remembers Narnia. That's the big problem I have with Universal Studios. They tend to bank their money on popular attractions for the times, but later on, they feel outdated. Men In Black? Twister? Back to the Future??? Yet they took out the Hitchcock and Hannah Barbara, and King Kong rides, which are more timeless than the stupid Ghost Busters car that still drives around the streets there. Now with the Harry Potter world going it, that'll be relevant for about ten years or so, now that the books are done. By the time the Potter fans grow up and forget about the books, the new generation will be on to the new "Twilight" of the decade, whatever that fad turns out to be. So stop calling your rides Jurassic Park and make it a dinosaur ride. Sure, Jaws is a neat ride. But in 2010, what the **** is ET???
    I think you are right about Narnia but the rest I disagree on. Just like Star Wars, I think some franchises have long legs. Harry Potter is one of those. I think every few years it will come back and be relevant again. If only because Universal is investing a lot of money to build Potterville.

I also think DHS should be the home for Pixar. I've said before that MK should be for classic Disney characters or new character in the Disney tradition. I know Pixar is owned by Disney but so is Marvel now. I don't know that in 10 years I want to see Spiderman in a Disney Parade.

As far as this refurb goes, change can be good. Gotta keep it fresh.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast