Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Is this for real? Mel Gibson being courted to buy Disney? in the News & Rumors forums; The Story Comcast Out, Mel Gibson In On Disney Takeover? The New York Post's Richard Johnson is reporting that "A consortium of mysterious European investors has approached [Mel] Gibson about ...
    adambreakey is offline Moderator

Is this for real? Mel Gibson being courted to buy Disney?

The Story

Comcast Out, Mel Gibson In On Disney Takeover?

The New York Post's Richard Johnson is reporting that "A consortium of mysterious European investors has approached [Mel] Gibson about a possible takeover of Disney now that Comcast has thrown in the towel, sources told PAGE SIX."

Wow.

First, Gibson couldn't even get anyone to distribute his movie, and now that it might become the biggest selling dvd of all time, the movie cognoscenti are interested.

Well, at least they're paying lip service to the idea. They would still want Gibson to throw in a couple hundred million of his own money to help buy the Mouse House, but they also want him to run the company.

One insider told Johnson: "We were very impressed with the way Gibson handled 'The Passion of the Christ'" - especially the part where he produced the movie for around $30 million, but has made $600 million in the theaters so far.

Gibson friends agree: "Gibson has the sensibilities Hollywood needs," one told Page Six. "He has the right insight to lead a studio. Look at those numbers! Now, that is how to make movies - none of this $120 million nonsense."

But, the source added, "He hasn't said yes, and he hasn't said no" to the proposal for a Disney corporate takeover.

Another person close to Gibson said, "The discussions have not gone anywhere . . . yet."
    To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Awww, come on... this can't be serious...

Then again....

"The Passion of the Muppet"
    "BraveMouse"
    "Mad Mouse: Beyond CountryHome"
    "Tink on a Wire"

I'll shut up now.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

ripkensnana is offline A-Ticket holder

Talking

Ace!

How about -

Lethal Mickey
    What Muppets Want
    We Were Mouseketeers
    The Patriot 2: Defending Liberty Square
    Forever Goofy

:mickey: Carol (Ripkensnana)) :mickey:

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Oh...oh...oh...

Mad Mouse

Mad Mouse 2: The Speedway Warrior

Mad Mouse: Beyond the Boardroom

~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    You guys need help.
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

BethBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    You guys need help.
    Come on Todd - I know you are sitting at home thinking up stupid movie titles - your my brother - it's in our gene's to come up with ridiculous things - like "Man without a heart - the micheal eisner story" or "DoleWhip Sunrise" there are all kinds of possibilities!

By the way - I love Eliza's quote! haha

Parkhopper is offline A-Ticket holder
    Unfortunately, with the way things are currently in the Disney Management I would find it hard to believe that it wouldn't be at least some improvement.

iamdaisyduck is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBabe
    Oh...oh...oh...

Mad Mouse

Mad Mouse 2: The Speedway Warrior

Mad Mouse: Beyond the Boardroom

These are really funny! I know i'm late to read this, but I got a chuckle out of it anyway!!!

grimghost is offline A-Ticket holder
    Wednesday, May. 5, 2004 1:31 p.m. EDT Comcast Out, Mel Gibson In On Disney Takeover?

For what its worth look at the date on this..I remember hearing about it, and just wanted to double-check since I felt it was a while and ago, and nothing has been mentioned of it since.

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    No way could Mel buy Disney, even with a 100 blockbuster movies. He would need several hundred billions of dollars. Maybe they were talking about him buying the Holy Land park near WDW!?

P.S. I checked out the website and now I keep turning clockwise when I walk, oops hop!!!
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 12-18-2004 at 08:23 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Tampa is offline No longer in service

Heeeeeeeeeyyyyyy Mel, I have a whacky idea!

Tell me Mike. Tell me but, tell me with passion. Like Christ would.

How about youuuuuuuu, direct a movie... wadda ya say pal, woot woot?

Hmm.. I will need one giant cross. To appeal to feminine activists, I'll need a tigger fur, a Disney Trivia Pin*, and lots of redbull... WITH little tiny umbrellas..

hmm...

YOU GOT A DEAL PAL!

great! But first... wanna see a card trick?
    Last edited by Tampa; 05-30-2005 at 08:52 AM.

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    ok, you soooo all need help! LOL
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

Chip&Dale is offline A-Ticket holder
    bump