Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss For those of us worried about Star Tours II... in the News & Rumors forums; ok... if most of you are like me you are worried about the new Star Tours update scheduled for reboot in Oct. 2010... Let me first ask: What is the ...
    JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

For those of us worried about Star Tours II...

ok... if most of you are like me you are worried about the new Star Tours update scheduled for reboot in Oct. 2010... Let me first ask:

What is the worry?

For me it is 3 fold...

1. Please do not make it strictly a pod race... that would be so disappointing...
    2. I will miss Paul Ruebens if he is not the voice of the driver (even though his voice can drive a person nearly bonkers...)
    3. What major changes will they do to the queue and the characters involved...

Hopefully this might make you feel better...

Paul Sciretta wrote this on his site about a year ago... but it might not have circulated to us all (i literally only just read it)

"The ride really hasn’t been updated since it opened in 1987. It’s not the total podracer reboot that was rumored a few years back, thank God. I’m hearing that its essentially the same ride but updated. It sounds to me like they might be shooting the footage in 3D, but I’m not sure.
    Our source reveals that the revamp will incorporate prequel characters (like Naboo citizens and Geonosians) along with many aliens from the original trilogy (Aqualish. Bith, Rodians, etc). In the action sequence, the Star Tours vehicle is now going to be chased by Boba Fett. C3PO and R2-D2 are still the hosts, and Anthony Daniels will be recording his parts this week. Admiral Ackbar holographically communicates with the Star Tours vehicle. Right now they’re shooting mostly green screen footage, as it is the middle part of the production timeline.
    I was a huge fan of this ride as a kid, but when I revisited it a few years back, it did feel dated. Not in a “Back to the Future… The Ride” way. The experience of entering the Star Wars universe was still there, it was the technology that felt dated, especially compared to some of the rides that have been opened in the last decade. If the revamp incorporates 3D as I suspect (there is a convergence tech on set) and features new action sequences (ie Boba Fett), it would add new life to the aging theme park attraction."

Secret Star Wars Production Shooting in Hollywood | /Film

let me know what you think of this...

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

fanboy1217 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: For those of us worried about Star Tours II...

On my last trip in 2008, I never made it to Endor. Sure i was on the ride, but about halfway through the ride stopped. All the lights came on and forced everyone out of the simulator. While we were walking towards the exit you could smell some sort of fluid burning. I don't think i have ever seen all the vehicles empty out at one time.

I guess you could say we were kicked out into the vacuum of space.

sweet... that is terrible...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

talpa is offline A-Ticket holder

that update doesnt sound too bad

sounds better than a pod race... i know that much...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

and this time it looks like you will actually be able to "tour" the planet that you were supposed to see...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

Huntertwilliams is offline B-Ticket Holder

I am am so worried yet very excited to.

Jaxum is offline D-Ticket Holder

I'm looking forward to experiencing a reboot of this attraction. I remember riding it when it first came out over 20 years ago, and hoping for an update for the last ten years. They did give us a glimpse of 30 seconds of the attraction during the D23 Expo last year. While it is durning the pod race portion, I believe our always bungling pilot drops us into it for a short bit then takes off agian. If you want to see it, just click below. (I'm starting to feel more and more like, "Instead of an app, I have a vid for that".)
    D23 showing of Star Tours 2.0
    Jaxum- Disneyland Aficionado!
    Disneyland, WDW, and DLPR Annual Passholder
    D23 1st Day Charter Member
    My Disneyland and WDW videos and photos!
    http://youtube.com/tkfore21 .... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaxum_readis/sets/

Disney days for 2009:
    Disneyland:(27) / Tokyo Parks:(4) / WDW:(19)
    Total Days in the parks for 2009: 50!
    Disney Days for 2010:
    Disneyland: (27) / WDW:(31) / DLRP: (6)
    Total Days in the parks for 2010: 63!
    Disney Days for 2011:
    Disneyland: (0) / WDW:(17)
    Total Days so far in the parks for 2010: 17!

D23 and Other events:
    Expo '09, Candlelight Spectacular '09, Magic and Merriment '09, D23 Anniversary DL/WDW, Studio Tour April '10, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Destination D: Disneyland 55, Disneyland Scavenger Hunt, Sip and Stroll '10, Tangled Screening, TRON Pop-up Shop, Magic & Merriment '10, Everest Challenge '09, Adventurer's Club Weekend '09, DL Candlelight '09, Gumball Rally '10, WDW Radio 24 Hour Live Show '10, Disneyland's 55th Anniversary, Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet '10, Mickey's Halloween 5k '10,WDW Radio Walkabout '10, ConGaloosh '10, DL Candlelight '10

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I read the update will make it sort of like the Buzz Lightyear ride only in this iteration you get to take target practice on Ewoks. Sounds cool to me!

now that would be fun...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

akika555 is offline A-Ticket holder

I think this ride is MOST in need of updating. It's almost jarringly old-fashioned at this point.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

The "oh no, something's gone wrong" premise is so cliched...I wish they'd come up with something original.

akika555 is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    The "oh no, something's gone wrong" premise is so cliched...I wish they'd come up with something original.
    oh yeah, of course there's that, but the film, and the mechanism of the ride itself are both very antiquated in a way that doesn't seem charming somehow.

It's supposed to be about space travel... but it feels like you're watching a VCR in the back of a moving Winnebago.

People lament the closing of Body Wars but that attraction used the same technology as the Star Wars ride, which I agree is pretty lousy.

Elvistelth... couldn't agree with you more... BW and Star Tours were and are dated... hopefully they update will make the ride more worth while...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast