Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Yeti? in the News & Rumors forums; It's not empty. It's full of dreams. Your accusation makes kittens and unicorn ponies cry....
    MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Yeti?

It's not empty. It's full of dreams. Your accusation makes kittens and unicorn ponies cry.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

...and if they won't, we'll turn the lights off and light them with a strobe.

No one will know the difference.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by 20K View Post
    In fairness, I wouldn't be so quick to say it was a case of laziness.

That certainly is true elsewhere in other maintainance areas, but provided the "fan orthodoxy" is true (which, of course, is touch-and-go), it would appear to be more of a bad-planning issue - a design flaw coupled with the fact that the park would empty with Everest closed for any period of time - rather than a laziness one.
    I believe you hit that nail with Everest being the big draw to AK for many.

Remember when Typhoon Lagoon had to shut down for a extremely extended period of time because the damage was so, so severe to the Wave machine?

But it does make me wonder why Disney could not work on Yeti in the over night hours. It isn't like the coaster couldn't roll without Yeti until he recovered.

My DH is now working on a design flaw for the automotive industry on a project that was not his, but is now. Retrofitting bungled projects is never a simple task.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

I just struggle to believe they would be so brainless as to create a highly-machined (and thus more likely to break) piece of show-action equipment and then install it in such a way that it (remember, more likely to break) cannot be repaired without a full refurbishment. Leads me to wonder if it is just another nonsense fan tale by the usual apologists.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe
    Retrofitting bungled projects is never a simple task.
    Absolutely. USF and their two sub-contractors had to spend the better part of two years and some $55,000,000 getting Jaws to some semblance of normal operation by October 1993.
    Last edited by 20K; 01-15-2011 at 08:12 PM.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    But it does make me wonder why Disney could not work on Yeti in the over night hours. It isn't like the coaster couldn't roll without Yeti until he recovered.
    It isn't the Yeti that's broken, but the support structure. The scuttlebutt is that the damage is of a nature that cannot just be repaired in place, but would necessitate a serious downtime for refurb.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Raise your hand if you like freakishly large earrings and under-achieving audio animatronic cryptids.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    It isn't the Yeti that's broken, but the support structure. The scuttlebutt is that the damage is of a nature that cannot just be repaired in place, but would necessitate a serious downtime for refurb.
    I wonder what the scuttlebutt source is. The support structure is off the track area. Disney could just put up a Yeti Tarp with a strobe light until work is completed.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

My wish for all this would be to just have Disney Imagineering come out and say what is wrong and what they have planned to fix this thing. Enough beating around the bush and letting rumors run rampant, just tell us...
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    My wish for all this would be to just have Disney Imagineering come out and say what is wrong and what they have planned to fix this thing. Enough beating around the bush and letting rumors run rampant, just tell us...
    ... and them admitting they blew it on this one... stop telling us how "advanced this AA is..." it was so advanced we couldnt put in a support system that could hold it up... is that correct...?
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

oh and BTW...

you only wish you were this cool...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

It amazes me that they would spend countless Disney dollars on sending Joe across the seven seas to bring back artifacts for this park (and earring) and to do so much research in an effort to get each land of the park as authentic as possible. The Imagineers carefully planed out how the ride would be build into the roller coaster structure so that both the tracks and mountain would support each other. Then they go and forget that eventually something might need to be repaired. Eventually being a month later. When pieces are no longer removable without causing serious concern to the attraction...
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    It amazes me that they would spend countless Disney dollars on sending Joe across the seven seas to bring back artifacts for this park (and earring) and to do so much research in an effort to get each land of the park as authentic as possible. The Imagineers carefully planed out how the ride would be build into the roller coaster structure so that both the tracks and mountain would support each other. Then they go and forget that eventually something might need to be repaired. Eventually being a month later. When pieces are no longer removable without causing serious concern to the attraction...
    thats the same way i feel... something tells me a sort of thought process should have been instituted here somewhere... sadly i fear thought was used elsewhere...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

I think they stressed being "PC" rather than engineering.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

I will say though, regarding sending Joe to Nepal, the theming and accuracy is part of what makes Animal Kingdom my favorite park in Florida.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    I will say though, regarding sending Joe to Nepal, the theming and accuracy is part of what makes Animal Kingdom my favorite park in Florida.
    Yes. And they spent a ton of money on research to make the park as authentic as possible for a parkload of cretins who will most likely never see the real thing. So it pretty much doesn't matter what's there. Put any junk there, tell the guests it's authentic and truthfully, what difference does it make?
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast