Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Yeti? in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by supernova Yes. And they spent a ton of money on research to make the park as authentic as possible for a parkload of cretins who will most ...
    WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Yeti?

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Yes. And they spent a ton of money on research to make the park as authentic as possible for a parkload of cretins who will most likely never see the real thing. So it pretty much doesn't matter what's there. Put any junk there, tell the guests it's authentic and truthfully, what difference does it make?
    Why put it there? Because the passionate people like us appreciate it.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Absolutely, and for no other reason than it is simply following in the best traditions of those who went before them, but the trip seems to be quite an extravagance.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    Why put it there? Because the passionate people like us appreciate it.
    Naturally. However, the population of "us" that visit the park is far far far less than the other millions of visitors that pass through the gates during the course of a year. Again, I'm talking about people who walk around the parks with their guide maps upside down. There are those who read the inside story of the parks, and those who buy the Birnbaum guide (or however he spells his name). To those people, Six Flags is also accurately themed. Heck, the Nemo ride is accurately themed because it's a beach. Some people just don't know any better, and that should help make the Imagineer's job that much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by 20K View Post
    Absolutely, and for no other reason than it is simply following in the best traditions of those who went before them, but the trip seems to be quite an extravagance.
    Of course it was.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

At Six Flags, and even at Universal to an extent, the theme elements are pretty limited. Oooo...signs showing various Batman characters and their history. Only need to read those so many times. They are not going to hold my attention. But with the details Disney puts into things, there is often something that wasn't noticed before.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Limited detail?

I raise you the queue for E.T...

...built, by the way, by former Disney Imagineers.

- Walt Disney

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    But with the details Disney puts into things, there is often something that wasn't noticed before.
    THAT'S imagineering.

Ignore my dolly.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Limited detail?

I raise you the queue for E.T...

...built, by the way, by former Disney Imagineers.
    I did not say every queue at Universal...I said "to a certain extent".
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

that guy creeped me out....how would I know how to fix a yeti?
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I did not say every queue at Universal...I said "to a certain extent".
    Fair enough...

...but... the queue for Kongfrontation? With its rolling news video - filmed in an actual NY news studio - and its famous wall-to-wall graffitti?

...or the three queue "houses" at Jaws? Packed full of maritime bric-a-bric picked up across New England, as opposed to being fabricated?

...or the Simpsons queue?

...or the queue for The Forbidden Journey for that matter? Probably one of the most incredible pieces of thematic design I have ever seen.

There is no working difference between the talents of WDI and Universal Creative anymore. The fact that the employees are constantly jumping from one to the other is only proof of that. The Wizarding World was the final nail in the "Disney is better at theme" coffin.
    Last edited by 20K; 01-18-2011 at 06:30 PM.

- Walt Disney

I agree Universal has done some interesting work, but for some reason I really don't feel the need to see it. I have gone there the last 3 years as a chaperone and if I wasn't required to go, I wouldn't. I'm not a HP fan so I don't want to see that even though it's supposed to be great. I guess what I'm trying to say is they have stepped up their game but I'm not interested in playing there.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I'd stop posting those pictures of Joe if I were you. If he gets wind that he's being openly mocked, he may stop giving us this hilarious ammunition
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    If he gets wind that he's being openly mocked, he may stop giving us this hilarious ammunition
    As if he could stop.

IN A CAPTAIN KIRK VOICE: "Must wear......gigantic earring!!! No will....of my own left..."

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

Just fix the yeti. yes it closes down the biggest draw in the park for a year, and it shows Disney is willing to make hard decisions.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

RuddyWDW is offline Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery

Fair enough...

...but... the queue for Kongfrontation? With its rolling news video - filmed in an actual NY news studio - and its famous wall-to-wall graffitti?

...or the three queue "houses" at Jaws? Packed full of maritime bric-a-bric picked up across New England, as opposed to being fabricated?

...or the Simpsons queue?

...or the queue for The Forbidden Journey for that matter? Probably one of the most incredible pieces of thematic design I have ever seen.

There is no working difference between the talents of WDI and Universal Creative anymore. The fact that the employees are constantly jumping from one to the other is only proof of that. The Wizarding World was the final nail in the "Disney is better at theme" coffin.
    Agree wholeheartedly with the above, think you can add MIB, The Mummy and Dueling Dragons to that list too. (Dueling Dragons is especially impressive).

As someone who only gets to visit Florida every few years or so I can appreciate the changes a lot more than someone say who visits even twice a year.

Whilst Universal have continued to improve vastly over the years, Disney IMO have stalled and even perhaps gone backwards a little. Whereas Universal have invested in new Parks like IOA and pumped lots and lots of money into the Studios, Disney seem to have done things a little half heartedly and the things they have changed havent always been for the good.

I have no doubts Disney invest a lot of money in the parks but it seems they are not doing it in the right areas or not putting enough in. Whilst Universal are adding things new things all the time and bringing in all new technology which frankly a lot of blows Disney out the water. They are still keeping the old rides such as Jaws and E.T fresh, the ironic thing is they manage this by doing very little, just basic maintenance to keep it looking good.

On the other hand Disney seem to alienate the purists by doing silly alterations to classic rides or replace them with gimmicks.

Haunted Mansion - Taken the hitchiker mirrors out and replaced with a garish screen that looks frankly awful. Admittedly they say it is temporary, but how many times have we heard that over the years.

POTC - Jack Sparrow, O.K this doesnt really look awful but adds absolutely nothing either, I dont think he quite fits in with the older AAs either.

20k - Gone to be replaced with....nothing.

Backlot Tour - Taken all the good bits out and now relies more or less totally on Catastrophe Canyon which really doesn't work.

The Great Movie Ride - Taken all good parts out this too and replaced them with nothing.

Alien Encounter - The only genuine Thrill ride closed, nothing done to improve the ride reopens with Stitch headlining totally toned down and is now extremely poor.

Mr Toad - The less said the better really.

When I first visited Florida around 15 years ago Universal was a horrible park it was dirty, rundown and just didn't have a nice feel to it at all. Disney on the other hand was amazing and I couldn't quite believe how magical and how everything worked so well.

The power now appears to be switching, and with every visit to IOA or the Studios it gets a little better whereas with Disney its like something else has closed, even simple things as your favourite store closing or they've stopped selling a souvenir you liked or your favourite food.

This is my second negative post of the night and for that I apologise, I love Disney very much and I only moan as I hope they will soon realise the error of their ways and start listening to us the people who really matter.

I fear if they dont address this sort of thing then we could soon see Universal take over as the big name within the Parks in Florida.

Apologies also for going a bit off topic!
    Last edited by RuddyWDW; 03-05-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Ruddy

Quote Originally Posted by RuddyWDW View Post
    The Great Movie Ride - Taken all good parts out this too and replaced them with nothing.
    What has been removed? Aside from modifying the first scene shortly after opening, I'm not aware of anything actually being significantly modified or removed.
    Doc

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast