Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Yeti? in the News & Rumors forums; Does anyone have word on when the Yeti might be repaired and stop operating in "disco" mode?...
    BamaEd1 is offline A-Ticket holder

Yeti?

Does anyone have word on when the Yeti might be repaired and stop operating in "disco" mode?

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: Yeti?

There isn't a lot of solid information as to what they are trying to do, but recently he has been hidden by a tarp so there MAY be some work going on.

Best info I've generally heard is that the base is severely damaged and cannot be easily repaired without a major refurb. There have been attempts to try an "A-mode lite" that would allow for movement but without as much force as normal, but that apparently didn't work out. So he's been kept in B-mode (a.k.a. "disco"), or from some reports, "C-mode" - i.e. no lights at all.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

UrsulasShadow is offline E-Ticket Holder

I spoke to a CM (Hi, Roberto!) in December, who works on the animatronics in AK. Apparently the problem with the current Yeti is the starting and stopping motion puts too much strain on the entire mechanism. He said that the funding has been approved to build a continual-motion sort of Yeti. It won't be as realistic as the old one...no reach and grab motion...but it will move, and will be the same size. He says it should be up and running in "2011 sometime".
    Mindy

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

What a sad situation. Disney bragged incessantly about how this AA was such a technological marvel and all it's done is serve to embarrass them and show how far the company has slipped.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Couldn't have said it better myself.

It also further underlines the unfinished nature of Animal Kingdom.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

and Disney's lack of interest in rectifying this situation further proves that they dont follow through on projects... if it doesnt work correctly fix it before it becomes a major issue... alla disco Yeti...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

In fairness, I wouldn't be so quick to say it was a case of laziness.

That certainly is true elsewhere in other maintainance areas, but provided the "fan orthodoxy" is true (which, of course, is touch-and-go), it would appear to be more of a bad-planning issue - a design flaw coupled with the fact that the park would empty with Everest closed for any period of time - rather than a laziness one.

- Walt Disney

"Yes it's true; more planning went into the engineering of my giant distended earring than Everest's Yeti."
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

"Lose that abomination hangin' from your gourd and fix that bigfoot, son!"
    Last edited by MartianCrab; 01-14-2011 at 11:16 PM.

You just made my night.

Maybe they could have had more money for R&D if they hadn't gone on their jolly to Nepal. Marc Davis and Claude Coats built Pirates without having to visit the Caribbean.

- Walt Disney

The original imagineers did more with craft store supplies a flashlight and baling wire than these current ones can do with all their fancy computers, lasers, and college degrees. It's pathetic.

ohiodisneydad is online now Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

It is amazing to see that the original AA's seem to hold up a lot better then the newer ones. One would think that with technology advancements being what they are, that wouldn't be the case.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by 20K View Post
    In fairness, I wouldn't be so quick to say it was a case of laziness.

That certainly is true elsewhere in other maintainance areas, but provided the "fan orthodoxy" is true (which, of course, is touch-and-go), it would appear to be more of a bad-planning issue - a design flaw coupled with the fact that the park would empty with Everest closed for any period of time - rather than a laziness one.
    i didnt necessarily mean they were lazy... more that i think they never really finish what they start... not because of laziness... more because of to broad of horizons... like they try to start another project before the first one is completely finished... i think that is the issue here... not long after the attraction opened they knew the Yeti was already an issue... and rather than reprogram it to be less "herky jerky" they were onto new important business... and the Yeti was a backburner project...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Fair enough, but then that's an even more ****ing indictment of the culture and scope. Compare and contrast with WED working on every single Magic Kingdom attraction at the same time forty years ago...

- Walt Disney

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Still, we need to keep this all in perspective. As fans (albeit cynical ones), we forget the rest of the visitors. You know. The ones who walk around with their park maps or guide books. To those people, there is no "yeti in b-mode". Everest isn't the ride where you encounter the yeti. It's the roller coaster where you go backwards.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast