Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss FL being revised? in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by BamaEd1 I want an attraction so good that they can base a movie on IT, not the other way around. Well put! That is EXACTLY what I ...
    MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: FL being revised?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaEd1 View Post
    I want an attraction so good that they can base a movie on IT, not the other way around.
    Well put! That is EXACTLY what I want too.
    The Disney Company USED to be able to do it that way...POTC, The Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, The Jungle Cruise....none of those attractions were based on movies but they are so good movies have been based on some of them. I think it's foolish to think they CAN'T do it this way again...I think they are guilty of corporate laziness {or cowardice} and simply lack the WILL to be that creative. Maybe the company is stretched so thin with all the parks they now have they are unable to take the chances they once did..I don't know...I just know I hear a lot of excuses on their behalf and it's getting frustrating.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

I think that Fantasyland really needs something because for me personally it is my least favorite land in the MK. I would love to see something new and exciting there. Like I said before, I would love an Aladdin ride.

I would be super excited for a Frontierland expansion! I agree though Adventureland could also use a sprucing up as well. I'm not saying Disney needs another thrill ride, because let's face it Disney was not founded on thrills, it was founded by imagination and wonder. I would love to see something that is somewhat of a throw back and not a technological marvel. There is an old saying...

"keep it simple stupid!"

Now nothing in Disney is simple but we don't need another Mission Space or Expedition Everest, we need something with a story that will make you want to get on and ride again. Something that is 100% an immersive experience.
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Yup!
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    Big question though does Disney have a current franchise that will pull people in for years to come? Narnia wasn't it, Pirates I don't think will. Could it be TRON? How about Marvel once they figure out how to pull it from Universal? I think that they have missed the boat with some of their older cartoons that just aren't as relevant now. I still think a Robin Hood dark ride would have worked in Fantasyland and would still be relevant if it were open. I think the speculation that families will give up a day at Disney for HP is right on the money. But I think it will have more of an affect on AK or Epcot then MK. I think when most people say I'm gong to DisneyWorld, they mean MK and not the resort as a whole.
    It is disappointing. Disney has missed the mark so many times lately. I had fun with my kids at Disney when they were little but had Seuss been around at Universal at the time, we would have spent a few days there. Now 2 days at Universal and then Disney. Variety.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Remember, expansion for Pop has been scrapped in favor of the new animation resort.
    Not actually. Do you realize that the vast majority of the Pop expansion has already been built and just abandoned? The are just re-theming the buildings. Rumors are that once abandoned area is ready to be finally opened that Pop will be re-themed to complement the animation theming.
    They will share buses.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Not actually. Do you realize that the vast majority of the Pop expansion has already been built and just abandoned? The are just re-theming the buildings. Rumors are that once abandoned area is ready to be finally opened that Pop will be re-themed to complement the animation theming.
    They will share buses.
    I wasn't aware that "vast majority" covered only the main hall, 2 out of 10 of the guest room buildings, and slabs for two more (that I think it was reported needed to be ripped up due to weather/nature damage). I'd ballpark that only about 15% of the bulk work is done.

Oh, and the parking lots. The parking lots are there already

To say it is just a re-theming would imply the theme was already there. The two guest room buildings were nothing more than the shells, without the finishing work yet. The main hall had some of the theming elements in place.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

BamaEd1 is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by supermariodrums View Post
    I'm not saying Disney needs another thrill ride, because let's face it Disney was not founded on thrills, it was founded by imagination and wonder.
    I completely agree that Disneyland was not founded on thrill rides but that was in 1955 when it was the ONLY Theme Park in the World and the amusement parks were poop; that's why Walt dreamt it in the first place. There are now other choices for families that are nearly as good; better in many cases when convienence and cost are factored in(when hotel stays, transportation, OUTRAGEOUS food prices, etc are calculated in) that have good thrill rides. I can ride 2 hours to a 6 flags park, usually get in for $20 (I'm military and get a discount) and have a good time. It's not Disney by any means; in fact, it's dirty, unthemed, and the employees are not a cast but a bunch of snot-nosed, minimum wage flunkies. With that said I like their roller coasters and thrill rides, as do my wife and kids. When we go to Disney, we'll do a character meal but usually skip all of the other M&G's unless the little one spots a character. To me, the new FLE has no appeal other than the VLM attraction and the opening up of the space for better traffic flow across the back of the park. Visually, it looks stunning which has a lot of value for sure but to have a "weenie" for Fantasyland, there needs to be something MUCH bigger than a nice dark ride and a bunch of M&G's in my not very humble opinion.
    Last edited by BamaEd1; 07-29-2010 at 12:42 PM.

Doombuggy13 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Talking Re: FL being revised?

I have two daughters and my oldest has not stopped asking when she will get to see the new Fantasyland? It is Fantasyland which is themed to Disney's fairytales. To keep the theme, it can not be "Stichland".

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

what if instead of expanding one "land" they expanded all of them a bit... that would allow the parks to look less "under construction" and would spread out the crowds when they open...

i would bet my last dollar that Universal is empty right now... i would also tend to bet that most of IoA is quiet with the exception of the areas surrounding HP... and HP is having people monitor how many persons are entering because of fire codes... so in essence people are going to spend 2 days at IoA because they probly dont see much of HP in one day... What Disney needs to do is capitalize on what works as Universal did... Pixar... as much as I feel as though too much Pixar could be a bad thing... the fact of the matter is this... Pixar SELLS...! and when it comes to theme park success... yes imagineering is important... but basing attractions off of something that is successful works just as much...

dont get me wrong... Disney has been successful with things that they either created (Pirates) or something they added elements to (Soarin', Tower of Terror) but lets look at the successful attractions these days...

Star Tours...was one of MGM's most popular attractions for a long time... will be more popular when the update is ready...

Peter Pan's Flight... because of its elements and the popular film it was based off of...

Rockin Roller Coaster... Aerosmith probly helped a bit...

The fantasyland expansion was based on a Little Mermaid dark ride and Beauty restaurant... how about doing that and adding a ride for Frontier... something as well for Adventureland... and an attraction for Wall-E maybe as a replacement for Stitch...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I wasn't aware that "vast majority" covered only the main hall, 2 out of 10 of the guest room buildings, and slabs for two more (that I think it was reported needed to be ripped up due to weather/nature damage). I'd ballpark that only about 15% of the bulk work is done.

Oh, and the parking lots. The parking lots are there already

To say it is just a re-theming would imply the theme was already there. The two guest room buildings were nothing more than the shells, without the finishing work yet. The main hall had some of the theming elements in place.
    No far more is actually done. All the infrastructure is in. Water, sewer, lighting wiring. Electrical is down and buried. Wiring in for all street lighting and hotel lighting. Yes they lost some sidewalks and some of the parking but the guts are there already. Some of the buildings were completely themed. You can even see the signs on those. See pictures. Other buildings were just being painted when they outright quit. The main building is in also. They will change Phase 2 from the legendary theme that is there already to animation. See pictures When that is complete they are saying that Pop phase I will be rethemed to match or complement the Animation theme of the phase II.

Oh ya, the bridge is in also...

Picture: Bamma Jenn

Pictures: Jeff Lange How Suite will this be? A closer look at the uncompleted portion of WDW's Pop Century resort - Jeff Lange - Columnists - JimHillMedia: Walt Disney Company news, reviews, history & commentary, Jim Hill

Incomplete Legendary Years building across Hourglass Lake compared to completed Classic Years building on right. (February 2010)

Yes, they have buildings to go but the land is cleared, it is flat, infrastructure in, parking plotted out. Won't take long. Saw how quick POR Phase II went up after phase I Port Orleans went up. One year and they were working with tree covered acreage. Now if they would just start.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    No far more is actually done. All the infrastructure is in. Water, sewer, lighting wiring. Electrical is down and buried. Wiring in for all street lighting and hotel lighting. Yes they lost some sidewalks and some of the parking but the guts are there already. Some of the buildings were completely themed. You can even see the signs on those. See pictures. Other buildings were just being painted when they outright quit. The main building is in also. They will change Phase 2 from the legendary theme that is there already to animation. See pictures When that is complete they are saying that Pop phase I will be rethemed to match or complement the Animation theme of the phase II.
    You seem to be saying "some of the buildings were completely themed" and others "were just being painted". There were only three buildings even started! You can see this on all the satellite imagery available and I saw them myself last year. The pictures in the article in your later post are of these three buildings, and other than the main hall the only other buildings shown are the look back towards the existing POP.

The three buildings are:

- The Main Hall - yes, this at least had outside theming for Legendary Years. It is doubtful much if any inside finishing work was done that early.

- Two guest room buildings - call them "30a" and "30b", which are opposites of two of the 80s buildings at POP (take POP, and rotate it around the pond, and you get the Legendary Years plan almost exactly). They are the brown buildings that need all the finishing work done to them, both outside and inside. In recent years they at least put windows and doors in.

In addition, the concrete slabs for "40" and "20a" were poured, but may need replacing.

Underground infrastructure work was done for all of the buildings, but some of that might also need some minor work (capped pipes were known to be leaking at times, etc.)

So they need to:

- Repair existing infrastructure that needs it
    - Pour slabs for 6 to 8 guest buildings
    - Build 8 buildings
    - Retheme outside of main hall, and complete inside
    - Theme and complete 10 guest buildings

Not saying it will take longer than they say - just that there is a lot of work needing to be done. Some of that work probably has already started in "re-prep" for the construction.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Kymie is offline B-Ticket Holder

I think the Fantasyland plans were too 'girlyfied' but I would like to see Pixie Hollow, with a view to expanding and making an area for Peter Pan / Cap'n Hook. Yes the Tink films went straight to DVD but she has been around as a popular character for a long time, and Peter Pan is a great character for boys, especially if Disney were to link in stories from the Peter and the Star Catchers series of books by Ridley Pearson and Dave Barry. Maybe it might be a bit too much with the Peter Pan ride already. Im still gutted Mickey and Minnies houses etc are to be demolished! I think that Toontown itself should have been focused on with more plans for the Fab 5 (or Sensational 6 with Daisy). Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is huge and would have made a great template for something special to celebrate the Mouse who made it all come alive for so many people!!

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

Consider your source......

Is CofP still open?
    Is the ESPN resturant at the Boardwalk still open?
    Have you been able to attend Halloween Horror nights at Disney Studios?
    Did you have a heart attack after eating at the resturant in Italy?
    Have you been able to tour Russia at Epcot?
    Has a show called "Skydance" replaced Illuminations?

ANd so on........

Just because Jim Hill says it... there's a good chance he's the only person who ever heard of it! Unlike Lou, there appears to be NO effort to "confirm" his rumors prior to publication!

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

^ Didn't say it was true or that I believed it. Just said it was interesting.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolla View Post
    Consider your source......

Is CofP still open?
    Is the ESPN resturant at the Boardwalk still open?
    Have you been able to attend Halloween Horror nights at Disney Studios?
    Did you have a heart attack after eating at the resturant in Italy?
    Have you been able to tour Russia at Epcot?
    Has a show called "Skydance" replaced Illuminations?

ANd so on........

Just because Jim Hill says it... there's a good chance he's the only person who ever heard of it! Unlike Lou, there appears to be NO effort to "confirm" his rumors prior to publication!
    Did he really claim people had heart attacks after eating there?
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast