Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Anyone else notice the K-9's? in the News & Rumors forums; So last week while we were at the World, there were several mornings that we would be walking in the parks and there would be a K-9 dog walking around ...
    ajwiseman09 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Anyone else notice the K-9's?

So last week while we were at the World, there were several mornings that we would be walking in the parks and there would be a K-9 dog walking around with a police officer? I have never noticed this before, but has anyone else? I was a little worried the first time I saw it, but then saw it was just walking around the park gate.

On another issue of animals, I also saw many dogs walking with people. Most were guide dogs or being trained. However, there was one person with an motorized scooter who had a little white poodle in the basket in the AK? It was strange and I couldn't figure out why it was there.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." Walt Disney

Prior to 1998-Offsite (2 trips)
    2000-Fort Wilderness (5)
    2001-Fort Wilderness (5)
    2006-Offsite (3)
    10/10/09-10/17-Coronado Springs (Honeymoon) (6)
    12/31/09-1/4/10-All Star Movies (New Years) (3)
    10/7/10-10/16-Wilderness Lodge (1st Ann.) (8)
    11/24/10-11/28-Lighthouse Keys (2)
    3/9/11-3/15/11-LK & PO Riverside (5)
    7/29/11-8/6/11- LK and Disney Dream (3)
    9/2/11-9/6/11- LK (4)
    12/31-1/6/12 - LK and Carribbean Beach (7)
    3/29-4/2 - Pop Century (3)
    7/27-7/30 - LK (4)
    11/1-11/11 - Poly, Port Orleans Riverside & Disney Dream (5)
    5/23/13-5/27 - LK (5)
    8/3-811 - Disneyland (4)

Total Days in Disney Parks: 72

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Anyone else notice the K-9's?

Having been on the Board of Education for many years I've seen many "heads ups" of various service dogs in our schools.

The newest is service dogs for children with autism. For whatever reason the dogs trained to be companions of these special students seems to have an overwhelming calming tone to the students. The dog stays right next to the student throughout most of their days and it seems to add a relaxing security to these students and the students make academic strides.

We had a little Westie dog that was with a girl with life threatening seizures. Dogs can often sense a seizure before the student or staff sense it coming on. Often Meds can be administered to stay off the seizure. Possibly what you saw in the basket.

A golden assists a young student with cerebral palsy, he grabs books, pencils etc for him. As he grew older the Aide was no longer needed, just his service dog.

We have had seen the wonders of dogs stretch way beyond the once only for the sight impaired.

Mike Fink is offline C-Ticket Holder

[QUOTE=londonpup09;911964]So last week while we were at the World, there were several mornings that we would be walking in the parks and there would be a K-9 dog walking around with a police officer? I have never noticed this before, but has anyone else? I was a little worried the first time I saw it, but then saw it was just walking around the park gate.

I was at the Magic Kingdom in May and saw a K-9 team near the entrance, right at the west side of the area where the resort buses park. These were not assist dogs, but police dogs. I don't know if they were there to sniff for bombs or contraband . . . It wouldn't surprise me if Disney regularly scans the parks for explosives due to the ever-present threat of terrorism. I'm sure if there were ever a serious threat Disney would evacuate the parks.

johnatthebar is offline C-Ticket Holder

Disney Security has their own K9 units. They are not law enforcement technically, but a part of Disney Security. I have seen Orange County Sheriff Dpt K( units on property, but more often it's Disney and Disney K9 units are the only ones I have seen walking around the parks.

They have had them for a long while now, though I saw more of them 2 weeks ago, don't know if thats coincidence or if they increased the size of the dpt.

dcaffey is offline A-Ticket holder

I saw them working around the train station in Disneyland when we were there for Destination D.

Don't remember seeing them in the parks at WDW but I have seen the Disney Security K9 teams on property - usually near the entrance(s)

i-neighborhood Guest

The K-9s particularly the Sheriff's department routinely and randomly check the Monorail. Ferryboat and bus areas to/from Mk for harmful materials. I'm sure that recreational contraband will not trigger but still should not be brought into the parks, as this is a place for families and children and it is illegal.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

I've seen the OC K9s around occasionally.

I've seen the Disney K9s appear out of nowhere to check out a backpack left outside Starring Rolls within minutes...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I've seen the OC K9s around occasionally.

I've seen the Disney K9s appear out of nowhere to check out a backpack left outside Starring Rolls within minutes...
    Good to hear! OC Pups are a staple at TTC, around that area frequently. I'm a fan.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.