Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Fantasyland Skyway Station to be Demolished in the News & Rumors forums; Hey Guys. According to WDWMAGIC the beautiful but abandoned Skyway Station at the entrance of Fantasyland will be demolished in favor of new bathrooms. This has been confirmed by a ...
    WDW_MK89 is offline A-Ticket holder

Exclamation Fantasyland Skyway Station to be Demolished

Hey Guys.

According to WDWMAGIC the beautiful but abandoned Skyway Station at the entrance of Fantasyland will be demolished in favor of new bathrooms.

This has been confirmed by a few people with blueprints already released as to what they'll be doing. Hopefully it wont look as bad and plain as the former Tomorrowland Station. that one looks sad.

The news goes as followed. The bathrooms next to Peter Pan will be demolished and the Peter Pan queue extended into that space, with a possible next-gen going in. Since those bathrooms are being removed, the Skyway station will be knocked down and new bathrooms built in that area potentially using the Skyway's foundations. A new pathway will be put in as you exit Haunted Mansion to your right to make a new and second entrance going into Fantasyland.

Its a shame to see this station go, but Skyway will never return I wish it would, as I would've loved to ride it. I really hope that the bathrooms retain on the exterior the picturesque and beautiful design that the station currently has. It just fits in so beautifully in that little corner. Its amazing that it's stayed this long. I wish Disney had been a little smarter and re purposed the building for something else. Something could've been put in there. But oh well.

If anyone wants to see what it'll look like in blueprint form. Scan through the thread over @ WDWMAGIC. (sponsored by Celebrations Magazine)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news haha. I wish I could've gotten some photos of it before it gets knocked. Unfortunately my trip isn't till May. I was hoping to even get inside and get some shots with permission (yes it's been done by others with permission). Currently its used for snow pumps and maintenance stuff.
    Last edited by WDW_MK89; 03-04-2011 at 01:10 PM.
    Disney Enthusiast. Music/Film Collector.

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Re: Fantasyland Skyway Station to be Demolished

Meh, I always thought the Skyway was a bit out of place at the Magic Kingdom.

Glad to see the space is finally being used (rather strangely), and that Disney has successfully continued its fine 1990s tradition of closing an attraction and then abandoning its infrastructure.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by 20K View Post
    Meh, I always thought the Skyway was a bit out of place at the Magic Kingdom.

Glad to see the space is finally being used (rather strangely), and that Disney has successfully continued its fine 1990s tradition of closing an attraction and then abandoning its infrastructure.

haha. I thought the Skyway fit in quite well going through Fantasyland & Tomorrowland with a turn in the middle. The amazing views are some no one will ever be able to get again. Its a shame, with how amazing cameras take photos, getting those views would be phenominal. As nice as it is now, Fantasyland is a sad shadow of its former self in a big state or renovations. I hate seeing the old go, but I'm anxious to see the new come in, though 20k looked quite amazing from the outside. Could've been repurposed, but I prefer it going away then becoming Finding Nemo. How embarrasing. The Living Seas has gotten really "cheap" since Nemo took over.

As for Disney leaving their stuff to rot. Yup, its true. Another prime example is Discovery Island & River Country. WOW. The stuff growing in those places must not be good for the air around. Dynamite needs to be brought in and remove all that stuff. I hear vultures have took over Discovery Island.

Had Disney been bright, they would've left River Country open but let only Fort Wilderness & surrounding guests use it. A private area for them. A little reno in 2001 and it would've been perfect for that area as a private pool area. Oh well. Cheap way out was to let it rot and nature take over it. Then they get angry when people trespass out of curiosity. Well, humans are curious being and if there's something there to look at, as a human they'll go and check it out. Either demo it or fix it up. I'd choose Option 1 at this point!!

I wasn't trying to suggest the Skyway was a bad attraction, far from it. It was a really unique experience for the region and you are right, the views it afforded were something else.

- Walt Disney

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

the building was out of place... considering there wasnt anything in it for like 10 years...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Most theme/amusement parks have gotten away from skylift type rides. I'm not sure if it has to do with liability or what. While it's a shame for something that dates back to opening to be gone and replaced with restroom, I'm just not certain that it has a place in the MK anymore.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    Most theme/amusement parks have gotten away from skylift type rides. I'm not sure if it has to do with liability or what. While it's a shame for something that dates back to opening to be gone and replaced with restroom, I'm just not certain that it has a place in the MK anymore.
    Its a real shame. Even though they offer amazing views, there are immature people who used to spit out of the cars. Like come on. Time to grow up a little. Also, they weren't "wheelchair" friendly. No wheelchair could ever make it into either Skyway buildings. I read somewhere that in America they passed a new law around the late 90's that required everything in Walt Disney World or Theme Parks in general to be friendly for wheelchairs and non wheelchair people. If you really think about it, everything in WDW is wheelchair friendly now. " "... It was a not to be discriminate to anyone. Oh well. I wish they were still around as for the photography views alone, it would be so worth it. Specially with the new Fantasyland construction when its complete. Though 20k from above was an AMAZING view and produced some of the most fantastic photo's ever taken in the Magic Kingdom...

Quote Originally Posted by WDW_MK89 View Post
    I read somewhere that in America they passed a new law around the late 90's that required everything in Walt Disney World or Theme Parks in general to be friendly for wheelchairs and non wheelchair people.
    Not quite; only new-builds had to. Older attractions were "grandfathered" in.

- Walt Disney

Skyway was sooo not wheelchair friendly...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Like the queue for Peter Pan wasn't long enough. Wish they would have put some more effort into the attraction (it really is dated) and get a higher capacity for a popular attraction rather than make a bigger queue.
    Jeesh!
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Can't use skyway station and they can really use some more restrooms in that area.

Passarino6 is offline Dreaming of Something Disney!

Correct me if I am wrong here...isn't the skyway building up on top of a hill? I remember it being high up to conceal the Haunted Mansion show building. If they are turning this into restroom facilities, they are going to have to plant some big trees or really do major theming to cover up the Haunted Mansion building. Wonder what they'll do...
    -Kevin

If we can dream it, we can do it.

soarinsally is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'm hoping that they make the Peter Pan queue more interactive, like they have done with the Winnie the Pooh Ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Passarino6 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong here...isn't the skyway building up on top of a hill? I remember it being high up to conceal the Haunted Mansion show building. If they are turning this into restroom facilities, they are going to have to plant some big trees or really do major theming to cover up the Haunted Mansion building. Wonder what they'll do...
    i think it is built up... not like on a hill... it seems like its ground up i think...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

InStitches is offline Fastpass Holder
    Georgia, but wishing I were on the "Loveliest Village on the Plains!"

I'm kinda sad that it's going to go. It's just another piece of MK from my childhood that will be gone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast