Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss So What's REALLY Going On? in the News & Rumors forums; i agree. Iger's plan would have taken a few years... remember from film to park alot of Eisner's plans and oks were a few years ahead... So when Iger took ...
    JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Re: So What's REALLY Going On?

i agree. Iger's plan would have taken a few years... remember from film to park alot of Eisner's plans and oks were a few years ahead... So when Iger took over in 2005 he had to steer through a few years of Eisner plans (or squash them... effectively causing Disney to do nothing for 5 years) outside of the Pixar purchase which was a Bob Iger bandaid fixing the problem Eisner left him, he has had to navigate through pretty tumultuous times... this is the fruit of his labors now... (though i do think Fantasyland was a response to HP land...)
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

ajwiseman09 is offline C-Ticket Holder

From what I was told when I was there in October, November of last year and then March of this year, it was mostly improvements for the 40th. They are just wanting to make things look good. And as for the tiki room and dinoland ride, those are just being worked on because things were wrong with them (fire and death).

Could be wrong, but I just think they are realizing that it has been 40 years and getting to be proactive.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." Walt Disney

Prior to 1998-Offsite (2 trips)
    2000-Fort Wilderness (5)
    2001-Fort Wilderness (5)
    2006-Offsite (3)
    10/10/09-10/17-Coronado Springs (Honeymoon) (6)
    12/31/09-1/4/10-All Star Movies (New Years) (3)
    10/7/10-10/16-Wilderness Lodge (1st Ann.) (8)
    11/24/10-11/28-Lighthouse Keys (2)
    3/9/11-3/15/11-LK & PO Riverside (5)
    7/29/11-8/6/11- LK and Disney Dream (3)
    9/2/11-9/6/11- LK (4)
    12/31-1/6/12 - LK and Carribbean Beach (7)
    3/29-4/2 - Pop Century (3)
    7/27-7/30 - LK (4)
    11/1-11/11 - Poly, Port Orleans Riverside & Disney Dream (5)
    5/23/13-5/27 - LK (5)
    8/3-811 - Disneyland (4)

Total Days in Disney Parks: 72

Cortini is offline Annual Passholder

I feel that 2012 is going to be a HUGE year! Disney Fantasy, parts of Fanatasyland, and Art of Animation. I feel to that there is something else around the corner. I just wonder what. Especially because of the lack of things for the 40th.
    D23 Charter Member~Castaway Club Member~DVC Member @ Wilderness Lodge & Saratoga Springs~Pin Trader~Vinylmation Collector

"A wish is a powerful thing especially when it comes from the heart."

Finally figured out most of my travel histoy!
    2012- March- 4 nights at Wilderness Lodge then 3 nights at Bay Lake Tower
    2011- March- 5 nights at Treehouse Villas then 2 nights at Bay Lake Tower
    2010- March- 6 nights at Saratoga Springs then 1 night at Bay Lake Tower.
    2010- July- 7 nights at Saratoga Springs.
    2009- March- 9 nights at Boardwalk Villas.

2009- October- 2 nigths at Dolphin then
    Disney Wonder- 3-Night Bahamian Cruise (w/ a friend who I met on the Magic cruise)
    2008- March- Disney Magic- 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise (1st cruise ever)
    2008- November- 5 nights at Coronado Springs
    2007- March- 9 nights at Wilderness
    2007- November- 2 nights at Swan
    2006-1998 Yearly Trips sometimes two trips a year at various resorts which are the following(resort (# of times not previously stated))-
    Saratoga Springs (1), Contemporary( Tower (1), Garden Wing (2 i think)), All-Star Movies(1 night then on the another hotel), All- Star Music (1), Wilderness Lodge (Lodge (1), Villas (?)) Coronado Springs (1), Animal Kingdom Lodge (1)

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

All valid reasons for the improvements going on for sure. I guess I was just working on some wishful thinking that it was more than just a reaction to the changes at Universal.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

Whatever there doing , just keep on doing it and lets sink universal
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Out of nowhere, in a recession no less, they are completely rebuilding an entire land of MK (Fantasyland), repainting buildings on Mainstreet as well as adding greets etc., refurbing areas of Frontierland, redoing the entire queue of HM, repainting the "legs" of SSE, tons of concrete work all over, redoing the TTA, refurbing Primevil Whirl, bringing back the old Tiki Room (or a version of it), revamping the old Pleasure Island, building a whole new resort, etc. etc.
    If you think about it, there is no better time than during a recession to do something like this, provided you have the cash, which Disney does. Everything from materials to labor is plentiful and (theoretically) cheap. Furthermore, if the dollar continues to decline as expected, the value of the infrastructure that Disney ends up with for their investment is going to be worth more than the dollars they spend building it.

On the other hand, it seems certain that the Fantasyland expansion must have been planned starting years before the economy soured. So it seems more likely that it is part of a long term plan, possibly adjusted or augmented in response to the Potter thing at Universal, and that the coincidence with the recession is just a fortuitous coincidence.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Keep in mind, Disney refurbs everything (hotels, attractions, etc.) every 10 years - hotels get repainted, things are powerwashed, updated, etc. Some of it is just the general 10 year upkeep (remember, MK is now 40 years old, its a 10 year milestone). I do agree that a lot of it is trying to keep up with Universal, though.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

[QUOTE=tizzo;961603]If you think about it, there is no better time than during a recession to do something like this, provided you have the cash, which Disney does. Everything from materials to labor is plentiful and (theoretically) cheap. Furthermore, if the dollar continues to decline as expected, the value of the infrastructure that Disney ends up with for their investment is going to be worth more than the dollars they spend building it.[/qupte]

Exactly...and if/when the economy recovers and those who stayed away because of it come back, then you're ready for them. That is why there was a lot of expectation that POP Legendary Years would finally be finished (although they changed the theme).

On the other hand, it seems certain that the Fantasyland expansion must have been planned starting years before the economy soured. So it seems more likely that it is part of a long term plan, possibly adjusted or augmented in response to the Potter thing at Universal, and that the coincidence with the recession is just a fortuitous coincidence.
    I fully expect that Disney has a LOT of plans sitting in filing cabinets, ready to go if they ever see the need...but I also think that if they REALLY wanted to counter Harry Potter, the expansion should have been done at DHS...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

tarzangoofster is offline A-Ticket holder

As much as I hate to see Universal doing better than Disney in some respects, I am very happy that Disney now has some competition. Disney got so used to being the top banana that they rested on what they had, choosing not to add new things unless they had to (or seeing how long they could get away with not putting in something new). Now that they have competition again, I think we're going to start seeing the Disney World of olden days again; new ideas, big things happening. I only hope that out of this necessity to keep up they start to find that old "because we can and should" mentality that used to bring such amazing attractions one after another.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

I absolutely agree! They've had the competition for awhile now but didn't take it seriously until the Potter stuff helped bring in more kids!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    ...but I also think that if they REALLY wanted to counter Harry Potter, the expansion should have been done at DHS...
    Interesting point. One thing to note is that everything is tied together, sometimes in ways that are not obvious.

Consider that despite the economy, Disney has managed to keep the parks pretty full.

Consider also that (as I understand it) the FLE is going to substantially increase the capacity of MK, and is being done without too much in they way of disruption (from the standpoint of capacity).

Seems to me that such an increase in capacity at FLE would decrease the impact, and hence increase the likelihood, of activity requiring a temporary reduction of capacity elsewhere.

I'm just sayin' . . .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12