Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Monorail Expansion in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by tizzo I tried to look up the tour you mentioned. There's a "Backstage Magic" tour, and a "Magic Behind Our Steam Trains" tour. I'm assuming your friend ...
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: Monorail Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by tizzo View Post
    I tried to look up the tour you mentioned. There's a "Backstage Magic" tour, and a "Magic Behind Our Steam Trains" tour. I'm assuming your friend took the first one, because that's the only one that comes close to 8 hours (WDW's web site puts it at 7 hours). But I can find no mention of it involving a visit to the monorail barn. Does anyone know if this is a standard stop for that tour, or is it more of a "you get what you get" kind of thing?

The rumor aside (I'd love if it were true, but just can't bring myself to believe it), I would be very interested in taking a tour that included a look at that facility.
    Now that I think of it, I've never heard of an advertised tour that included the monorail barn. Backstage Magic includes all 4 parks (which is why it is so long), and does go back into the backstage areas behind MK (like the Christmas warehouse, AA workshop, etc.) but I've never heard of anyone getting to see go in the monorail barn. It could be one of those optional "swing" locations, like if the warehouse isn't available.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I can make up a Rumor that this is why they are shutting down the monorail a hour after closing...to work on the expansion at night.
    Anything is possible!

Quote Originally Posted by tizzo View Post
    I tried to look up the tour you mentioned. There's a "Backstage Magic" tour, and a "Magic Behind Our Steam Trains" tour. I'm assuming your friend took the first one, because that's the only one that comes close to 8 hours (WDW's web site puts it at 7 hours). But I can find no mention of it involving a visit to the monorail barn. Does anyone know if this is a standard stop for that tour, or is it more of a "you get what you get" kind of thing?
    Sorry! That was my bad! Backstage Magic is the name of the tour she took.

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Now that I think of it, I've never heard of an advertised tour that included the monorail barn. Backstage Magic includes all 4 parks (which is why it is so long), and does go back into the backstage areas behind MK (like the Christmas warehouse, AA workshop, etc.) but I've never heard of anyone getting to see go in the monorail barn. It could be one of those optional "swing" locations, like if the warehouse isn't available.
    So I checked back in with my friend and she said it was while they were over in that area (the section of warehouses etc. East of the park) that they made the stop at the monorail barn.

I soooo agree with all the comments you guys have made. I have some serious doubt too! But, for those that know me... you know I am not some kid whose teenage friend went to WDW and brought back a rumor that was unfounded. I wouldn't have even thought to share this had it not come from a) a 35 year old woman and b) a CM working at the monorail barn. I agree with all the doubts and thoughts that it seems unlikely but this person not only had the plans but shared a schedule for it all. Who knows, maybe it's a D23 announcement waiting to happen or maybe it's a CM having fun with a tour but boy oh boy I'd be ticked to spend $224 and be lied to.
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 07-13-2011 at 09:55 AM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1014 View Post
    i second that, the monorail barn would be awesome to see lol
    There's a road that goes around the parks. From there, you can see the maintenance areas, the monorail barn, and many of the sites from which they shoot off the fireworks. Pretty neat to drive through.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    There's a road that goes around the parks. From there, you can see the maintenance areas, the monorail barn, and many of the sites from which they shoot off the fireworks. Pretty neat to drive through.
    Yes we ended up back there once by accident and now I love to do it on purpose! LOL
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

I go back there on every trip. A friend of mine is a former cast member, now enjoying the pittence they pay as pension. He took me to the housing for the college program, as well as some off-sites area where they do laundry (thrilling, I tell ya), some repair shops, the area where costuming used to be, and then showed me the backstage area. I can now get there from on-property as well as the road out back (can't remember the name) that runs through a small field and then dumps you right into the monorails and fireworks areas.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Y'know... that same road used to go behind 20,000 Leagues (and then behind the sad flat of grass that was left when they killed it). Now with the expansion I suppose it ends there at that turn to the right (i.e. no more left turn).

I'm going to be driving back there again during my trip in December. Want to see what changes they're making. Though they can't do too too much with what's there alread (monorail garage, etc). There is that marshy area where they blow off the fireworks, so that can probably go. Though they have to figure out how not to mess up Wishes. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Y'know... that same road used to go behind 20,000 Leagues (and then behind the sad flat of grass that was left when they killed it). Now with the expansion I suppose it ends there at that turn to the right (i.e. no more left turn).
    The road is still there - it is the primary access to the utilidors, and now the contruction area. The FLE basically is expanding all the way back to that road.

I believe that road is gated, though.

And as for driving back stage, there is some interesting disconnects in the signage...from the road by the Contemporary, the signs say something like "Disney Service Vehicles Only" (not that the Disney Cops are going to stop you...), but at the opposite end by Reams Road, "Guests" are included in the access...as if guests are supposed to be allowed in only one direction...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

wait so your not allowed to go on that road then ?
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1014 View Post
    wait so your not allowed to go on that road then ?
    Which road?

Like I said, the Disney Police aren't going to come get you - the sign is more likely just to stop wayward guests from going backstage.

But as for the access road that goes right to the back of the MK...it looks to be gated.
    Doc

penguinmickdis1 is offline C-Ticket Holder

At one point the monorail was going to go to all parks but at the time it cost 1,000,000 dollars per mile and would be much more expensive today. Don't bet on that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinmickdis1 View Post
    At one point the monorail was going to go to all parks but at the time it cost 1,000,000 dollars per mile and would be much more expensive today. Don't bet on that happening.
    Sounds like that came from a bus driver or boat skipper

The "million a mile" number is often quoted, but even back when the other two parks were built, it would have cost quite a bit more than that. Remember, two of the parks were built much later, and as far as I know there was NEVER a plan to extend the monorail to AK, beyond some bluesky plan which would have the monorail going everywhere...

The plans to go to what is now Downtown Disney are quite old and predate DHS and AK. It dates back to the 70s, and still come from some of Walt's original ideas for EPCOT and would connect ALL areas of Walt Disney World - but that included shopping and office districts, not the other parks at the time.
    Doc

And even then, it made sense when there were only two parks. I could see a monorail line running around the giant lagoon thing in between the two halves of Epcot, running out the back and over the road between Epcot and DHS. That line might make sense. Even at a million dollars a mile. Especially since the trip from the back of Epcot over to DHS isn't even a mile. Maybe round trip, perhaps. But still.

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

stupid gates lol ill have to talk to my friend who works in frontierland maybe ill get a personal tour
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by penguinmickdis1 View Post
    i never did subscribe to that theory... something tells me that there would be a way to keep costs down...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast