Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss New MAJOR entertainment coming to WDW in the News & Rumors forums; I'm not much of a parade guy but would definitely welcome some shake-ups to Fantasmic and Illuminations. Last time I saw Illuminations, it seemed shorter than years past. I know ...
    Thom Morrow is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: New MAJOR entertainment coming to WDW

I'm not much of a parade guy but would definitely welcome some shake-ups to Fantasmic and Illuminations.

Last time I saw Illuminations, it seemed shorter than years past. I know it has gone through quite a few changes, but I remember a time when there was music from every country, and they were separately lit up. I really liked that version.

As always, I am happy to see what the minds in charge have up their sleeves!

Experiment_626 is offline B-Ticket Holder

I've seen The Magic, the Memories and You several times. It was one of those ideas that, when I first heard about, I really wondered what Disney was thinking (and my optimism and positive attitude is usually at a level comparable to Lou's). I thought it sounded pretty lame.

We happened to see the show opening night, and all my doubts were blown away. Seriously, I was actually ashamed of myself for doubting. We all thought the show was awesome, and repeated viewing hasn't changed my mind.

Take the photos and videos out of it? The whole point of the show is built around them! But at the same time, the photos an such are just support. Whether you can actually see the details is pretty unimportant unless you happen to have one of your own photos used in the show. I cannot imagine objecting to seeing "strangers'" photos being used, now that I've seen the show. I couldn't care less that the show isn't about me -- and really, it is about me, and my own memories of the day I spent in the parks. Who cares that the images being used aren't of me or my family specifically? I certainly don't.

I'm really surprised at the reaction I'm reading here. Does nothing impress you folks anymore? I think this show was maybe the most pleasant surprise I've had at Walt Disney World in at least 10 years.

SSB

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Disney05 View Post
    I agree. I think they should just take away the pictures. Saw it in May and if you're down Main Street, it's hard to see the pictures anyway. I really like the concept though.
    in DL they have this technology but it does so much more (or so i hear) when is this technology going to take the next step in WDW...? thats what i am wondering...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

I am kind of sad to think they are going to get rid of Main Street Electrical Parade (again)...I hated Spectromagic. Its nostalgic for me to watch it, and I love the music.

However, I agree 100% that EPCOT needs help. The Experimental Prototype Community Of TOMORROW is stuck in the 90's. Illuminations is typically everyone's favorite fireworks and nighttime show, so I think their money would be better spent updating the attractions.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Morrow View Post
    I'm not much of a parade guy but would definitely welcome some shake-ups to Fantasmic and Illuminations.
    And nor should you be. After seeing a parade once, it becomes little more than an excellent time to ride attractions and be in ANY other part of the park but the parade route.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Aww Phooey is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwilliams View Post
    - Fantasmic! reboot with a new concept, scenes and effects (early summer 12)
    - New "mega parade" at the Magic Kingdom called Festival of Fantasy (spring 12)
    - Upgrade or replacement of Illuminations: Reflections of Earth at Epcot (late 12/early 13)
    We're talking about the possibility of going to WDW in summer of 2012. I was actually against the idea at first (favoring a Disney cruise instead with some of those itineraries leaving NYC)) because I've gone 4 times since December 2008...and three of those times were within 12 months of each other. I was hoping we wouldn't go back until the Fantasyland expansion was complete. Each time we've been seeing more and more attractions get shut down and not enough have come back.

But if this is true...especially the Illuminations part...that will change everything.

I want to see Fantasmic change. It actually pains me to admit it but I was never a fan of the show (except for the part where Sorcerer Mickey appears at the very top of the mountain). I remember being *cringe* underwhelmed the first time I saw it (and it was still new!). I was expecting something different after all that promotional material...or at least a dragon that didn't look like it was made of tinsel and erector set with a Maleficent face... DL's "Murphy" dragon, in spite of all of it's flaws, actually got my heart pounding in a good way.

But anything that involves removing the current soundtrack to Illuminations...I told my husband I will fly to WDW for one night just to say goodbye to that show. It's a long sappy story but I've got a lot of sentiment rooted there. The music in particular.
    Gotta love a duck in uniform.

dramaqueenk is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    the tech is interesting... but who really wants to see some strangers mug on the side of the castle at night... and how would you feel if it were you... and you were busy riding Space Mountain...?
    So true! I don't wanna see other people's faces ruining the beauty!
    I never got to see Spectromagic, woulda loved that.

Fantasmic does need some work although i agree with previous sentiments that EPCOT seriously needs to be brought into the present, a couple more pavillions around the globe and futuristic rides would be welcome and sort out the Wonders of Life Pavillion!
    dramaqueenk

"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
    Walt Disney

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

I've sort of stayed away from this thread because of where it was going but I do want to comment now. Nothing personal folks ok? Consider me the Jiminy Cricket of the thread today. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    I want rides and proper maintenance! I couldn't care less about parades or firework shows.
    To me, this is a place where the Disney parks continue to honor Walt's legacy. He loved this sort of entertainment. He didn't understand why parades had to be limited to the Holidays. Why not celebrate the magic each and every day? I think if Disney parks got rid of the parades and night shows, they'd just be another amusement park. It's the parades and shows that make Disney something special. Something more than a Six Flags for example.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    But how long am I really going to stand around watching someone else's vacation photos? ANd not just one person, but tons of 'em. No thanks.
    I think that's easy to say until you're watching it and up pops a photo of you and your family. I think this little Wishes "pre-show" (as I've been referring to it) is a great way to get back to and celebrate what the Disney parks were about... families coming together.

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment_626 View Post
    I'm really surprised at the reaction I'm reading here. Does nothing impress you folks anymore? I think this show was maybe the most pleasant surprise I've had at Walt Disney World in at least 10 years.
    I have to agree and was thinking the same as I read through some of these responses. The theme right now at the parks is Memories and as a mom, I can't even put into words what a fantastic memory I'd carry with me if I looked up to Cinderella Castle, the icon of the magic for me, and saw a photo of my son.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyDancer87 View Post
    I am kind of sad to think they are going to get rid of Main Street Electrical Parade (again)...I hated Spectromagic. Its nostalgic for me to watch it, and I love the music.
    I think Spectro was a great way to switch things up while keeping the idea of a nighttime parade alive. Much as I may remember back to old rides/attractions/shows and say how much I wish Disney didn't get rid of them and/or would bring them back... there is something to be said for continual change and nostalgia. Walt's mantra was to keep moving forward. He didn't want things to become stale. While I would love to see some of my favorite attractions come back, it just wouldn't be the Disney way if they did. Bringing back MSEP and Captain EO for example made me so so happy... but they had also had their time, come and gone, in the honor of moving forward.

That said... MSEP is timeless so I do have to agree with you a little there.

And nor should you be. After seeing a parade once, it becomes little more than an excellent time to ride attractions and be in ANY other part of the park but the parade route.
    Hrm! Interesting way of looking at it. To me the parades are another attraction so it's always worth doing multiple times. If I limited myself to only riding/seeing each attraction once and then checking it off my list, I'd be making very few trips!

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueenk View Post
    So true! I don't wanna see other people's faces ruining the beauty!
    Sort of back to my earlier comment about this show... to me the beauty is in the memories. The faces of the people who are there to share in the wonder and the magic that Walt wanted us all to experience. It's the same concept as a trip report in that it might not be your memories, but our love of Disney brought us all here... and sharing in each other's memories and experiences is what it's all about.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    I've sort of stayed away from this thread because of where it was going but I do want to comment now. Nothing personal folks ok? Consider me the Jiminy Cricket of the thread today. LOL!

Sort of back to my earlier comment about this show... to me the beauty is in the memories. The faces of the people who are there to share in the wonder and the magic that Walt wanted us all to experience. It's the same concept as a trip report in that it might not be your memories, but our love of Disney brought us all here... and sharing in each other's memories and experiences is what it's all about.
    I see what you're saying, but i love seeing kids faces as i'm walking around, when it comes to images in a show, i'm all about seeing the Disney. I do love reading other people's reports though on their trips and sharing memories, just don't want to look at pictures as those people coulod be posing smiling about anything. Nothing beats actually seeing a kid (or adult, like me!) getting over excited in one of the parks
    dramaqueenk

"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
    Walt Disney

I think that's easy to say until you're watching it and up pops a photo of you and your family. I think this little Wishes "pre-show" (as I've been referring to it) is a great way to get back to and celebrate what the Disney parks were about... families coming together.
    But that can be controlled. It's not like they're going to just pop up a random picture of you. Don't you have to send one in? Or are they just using PhotoPass pictures? I have no idea. But if you do have to send them in, then it comes down to time, interest, and desire. None of which I will be wasting on this.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

I gotta agree with supernova; I don't want to see strangers' pictures projected anywhere regardless of how happy they are and how big they're smiling. The chances of seeing your own picture is probably similar to winning a lottery so if that's why you like this idea, you're most likely setting yourself up for disappointment.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

And my original reasons for not responding have now come to pass. I should charge money for psychic readings.

To the OP: I think you are owed an apology re: your thread, essentially announcing exciting news, being hijacked and turned into that which was completely off topic. Yay good news!
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 07-27-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

Quit hijacking our hijack.

And my original reasons for not responding have now come to pass. I should charge money for psychic readings.

To the OP: I think you are owed an apology re: your thread, essentially announcing exciting news, being hijacked and turned into that which was completely off topic. Yay good news!
    You're right, apologies to the OP for going off on a tangent (hang my head in shame)
    dramaqueenk

Walt Disney

Quit hijacking our hijack.
    LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast