Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Disney Theme Park in Missouri? in the News & Rumors forums; I know, I know, another mysterious rumor about Disney buying up land and building a new theme park. Two years ago a good friend in Dayton (Houston area), TX claimed ...
    DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator

Disney Theme Park in Missouri?

I know, I know, another mysterious rumor about Disney buying up land and building a new theme park. Two years ago a good friend in Dayton (Houston area), TX claimed that Disney was looking at buying land out there. Last year a family member swore that Disney was looking into land around San Antonio, TX. I didn't believe them because it was just talk. Friday I heard from several reliable sources that Disney was buying (bought) a huge chunk of land in Missouri. Has anyone else heard anything about this? I don't know if I fully believe it or not myself. I think a lot of it is just wishful thinking and some of it could be land speculation. I can't think of anything better than a rumor of a new Disney park to get the price of land to go through the roof.

I looked online and found this thread: http://www.themeparksonline.org/tpoforum3.asp?threadid=3080&forumid=3, but nothing else that was substantial.

I am doubting that it is true on several levels:
    1- When Disney bought the land for Disney World 40+ years ago, nobody knew anything.
    2- A park in this area would need to be closed 4+ months a year.
    3- I'm not sure if their last park expansions have paid off- AK and California Adventure.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by DisneyonaDime; 06-06-2005 at 01:03 PM.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Would this be anything like the Disney tours they may be doing in Hawaii...and Colorado? I'm fuzzy on the details/location, but I remember reading that before...

Maybe the Ozarks/Branson attract enough people to make it worthwhile?

I kinda doubt they'd build a themepark in that area of the country as well, mainly due to the weather. I think southern Texas would be more likely because they could be open the entire year. If they have plans for another Disney themepark, I would hope Australia or South America would get the next one before another USA location. Let's spread them out people! That way I can travel all over the globe for my small Disney obsession.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Branson is a pretty big vacation magnet. For those that have never been there, it has 49 show theatres, over 120 live performance shows, 2 theme parks (not Disney-level, but they're there), a water park, 10 themed museums, and tons of other stuff. It is considered the number 1 driving destination in America. This could be enough for Disney to make a decision on, but I'm still skeptical. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be an hour away from a Disney park, but I won't fully expect it until something official comes out.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com

Disneynut57 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I have my doubts because I remember somthing about the fact when looking for land for WDW Disney only look where it could be open year round. That would be hard to do in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut57
    I have my doubts because I remember somthing about the fact when looking for land for WDW Disney only look where it could be open year round. That would be hard to do in that area.
    Well, they were about to build a park in Virginia that would have the same issues. I agree that the San Antonio area with it's mild climate would be a better location, but it's not out of the question.
    Chris
    www.DisneyonaDime.com

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Chris-

It just dawned on me. You are not too far from my in laws in Oklahoma (1 hour Northeast of Tulsa). On our trips to visit them, we have driven to Branson and Columbia in Missouri to visit friends and Silver Dollar City.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Yep, Fayetteville is about an hour and a half from Tulsa and about the same from Branson. It's one of those geographical oddities- not much here, but about 2-5 hours from a lot of places (Dallas, Memphis, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Oklahoma City).

So you've been to Silver Dollar City, huh? It's a far cry from Disney World. I'm accustomed to the nice big walkways and clean atmosphere that is at Disney. That place will definitely make you feel like you're in the past. It's not bad per say, just very different. If you aren't in shape, the hills will kill you.
    Chris
    www.DisneyonaDime.com