Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Big Thunder Mountain in the News & Rumors forums; I haven't see or heard this anywhere yet so I thought I'd pass it along. We were at The World in August and spoke with a cast member after getting ...
    twoputt is offline A-Ticket holder

Big Thunder Mountain

I haven't see or heard this anywhere yet so I thought I'd pass it along.

We were at The World in August and spoke with a cast member after getting off of BTMR. He told us that they would be closing the attraction in January for a refurb. As part of the refurb he said they'd be replacing the track with one that was similar to the design of the track for Everest. He explained it would make the ride faster.

Here's hoping that this goes through!

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Big Thunder Mountain

Wow that seems to be kinda out of left field. Part of me is really excited at the prospect of this and the other part of me isn't quite too sure. Personally I have a "the faster the better" mentality about rides, but I like that BTMR is a little tamer than Space Mountain for people who feel differently. I was lucky enough to get my wife on the ride because I assured her it wouldn't be as intense as SM and I'm sure many of the little ones can enjoy it for the same reason.
    Whatever they do though, I'm sure BTMR will still be a highlight of my next trip!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I kind of like BTMR at the speed it travels now. There is so much detail to see on the route that faster will make it more difficult to see all the little details.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

I am a coaster enthusiast who also believes that the faster, the taller, the better. However, I am also emotionally tied to BTMR and can't imagine this ride changing. It has been a favorite of my family for years...why make it like something you already have at AK? BTMR may need a little updating just to keep it up to code and all, but I don't think they need to tweak it beyond that.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

hopefully not, it already goes fast enough!!
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

twoputt is offline A-Ticket holder

My guess is that, if indeed they replace the track in favor of a faster one, it won't be that much faster. Perhaps they want to increase the speed a bit so they can get one or two more trains a day through the mountain, increase capacity.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

There are a lot of things that would need to be considered if they wanted to increase the speed, not just the track - higher speeds would likely require a redesigned track, changes to curves, different trainsets, etc.

And how is the track at Everest different? They are both tubular steel rails. I think it's the design of the track more than anything.

And by the sounds of it, it would be an extensive makeover - which the haven't announced yet. I also can't see them doing something like that until at least some portion of FLE is open.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

thebrad is offline A-Ticket holder

Initially the upgrade of track appealed to me for one possible reason and that would be a smoother more fluid riding experience. Then the purist in me retracted that thought and reminded me one of the things I love about BTMR is the designed "out-of-control-runaway" feeling. Just from the sound of this it almost sounds like this may purely be a mechanical/maintenance type upgrade that may not significantly alter the rider experience.

That said I really have developed a lot of trust in the imagineers. (with special exception to my tragic friend Figment)

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    I kind of like BTMR at the speed it travels now. There is so much detail to see on the route that faster will make it more difficult to see all the little details.
    Agreed. Otherwise, we'll all just be walking around the outside to see the details since they'll all be a blur during the on-ride experience.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

maybe it will be more smoother but hopefully not I might be going back in january grrrr
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

I can't see them making this sort of change while FL is being expanded... And I was on it on august and it seemed fine to me... It was rather smooth... And the speed I think suited the ride... It doesnt need to be faster... It just needs some TLC every few years...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

It is possible. They have replaced track a couple of times at SM once to make it faster and smoother. Disney seems it appears to be rehab'n everything they can prior to the opening of FL. As if Disney doesn't want to piece meal the MK rehab, just get in there while it is a mess and be done.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    It is possible. They have replaced track a couple of times at SM once to make it faster and smoother. Disney seems it appears to be rehab'n everything they can prior to the opening of FL. As if Disney doesn't want to piece meal the MK rehab, just get in there while it is a mess and be done.
    I think I'd prefer piecemeal. Otherwise, the entire MK would be covered up in barrier walls and scaffolding. One piece at a time and not overdo the construction.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Well doesn't look like your wish is coming true. DS was through there and said there are walls and tarps everywhere including Frontierland. Said 40 year old wooden fences gone too.

Canada has ugly tarp, wonder why. Sorry, hopped a park
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

For all I care, the actual country of Canada could have a giant ugly tarp across it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast