Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Astro Orbiters Fire/Now Closed in the News & Rumors forums; Anyone got any info about the fire this am in Tomorrow Land? Due to a power issue. I heard the Oribiters are going to be closed for several months??? Anyone ...
    MissMEY is offline C-Ticket Holder

Astro Orbiters Fire/Now Closed

Anyone got any info about the fire this am in Tomorrow Land? Due to a power issue. I heard the Oribiters are going to be closed for several months??? Anyone got more news?

Staying at Old Key West & cruising on the Disney Fantasy

HOST AT THE MINNIE MINXES DISNEY PODCAST
    An all-female Disney podcast from the UK

www.facebook.com/theminnieminxesdisneypodcast
    Our Blog http://theminnieminxes.blogspot.co.uk Our Twitter@theminnieminxes

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

Re: Astro Orbiters Fire/Now Closed

It has been very hush hush about this. I read about this morning and at first did not believe when the story I read had sentences like Firetrucks down mainstreet ( I would believe that there was a backstage area for it) and tomorrowland in ablaze. Gabe (HauntedGabe) posted a link to a picture of a firetruck on mainstreet. IMHO I will be happy if they did not reopen in it, I think it is overrated and a copy off of Dumbo.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

News to me, I need to get back online more.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

It looks like the versions of what happened have been really overdramatized. I found a couple posts on other blogs and even in response to a news article that make it sound like Tomorrowland was ablaze! Funny how things get blow out of proportion.

Astro Orbiter closed at Disney's Tomorrowland after fire
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Believe some over-played and others like Jenn's link underplayed. Lets face it, driving fire trucks through the Magic Kingdom while the park is open certainly isn't a normal activity in the MK. Nor are shorts that cause a small fire, enough to warrant closing off all of Tomorrowland. Thankfully all are well except Astro Orbiter.

Here is the link that Wallfan329 eluded to in her post above:
    Here's the firetruck leaving Tomorrowland at 10:22 this ... on Twitpic

Photo by twitter Klewald, Here's the firetruck leaving Tomorrowland at 10:22 this morning. It then turned up the path by Rapunzel's meet & greet.

Rotate photo View full size

I certainly would remember this!
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

this is an interesting turn of events... i wonder where the truth is... overplayed or underplayed...?
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Well glad no one was hurt... hope the ride does re-open as I loved riding it, especially at night-time when a storm was on the horizon... pure magic!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Nothing like a good electrical fire in the rain. Oops.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Gather its up and running again now... so perhaps it was a tad overplayed!

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'm kind of assuming at this point that the cause was as stated in the newspaper article, but that the fire truck was brought in as a precautionary measure when they first detected the fire. Interesting picture though, seeing that fire truck.

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    this is an interesting turn of events... i wonder where the truth is... overplayed or underplayed...?
    My gut feeling is that after some of the bad press Disney has gotten about accident/injuries/illness at the parks, even the smallest of issue like this now warrants a big response (i.e. firetrucks down Mainstreet). I think the idea is to never give the impression they are slow to respond or underestimate impact etc. It is reopened now with no visable damage etc. so I truly feel it was precautionary overdramatization on the part of Dis.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

I'm thinking the reaction from the fans now is more hindsight. Small Fire is a fire. Reedy Creek Fire stated they had no problem extinguishing it so it required a response. Firefighters generally arrive by fire trucks. When Reedy Creek firefighters get this call they are responding to a fire at an attraction that is up in the air which guest load by elevator. I'm am guessing but with confidence that Disney has certain areas that will accommodate larger firetrucks with ladders that are capable of evacuation of CM's and guest from an elevated platform. I'm also confident the Fire Dept. has routes predetermined. Remember when the bridge was out they could only redirect the parade in certain directions because of clearance.

I am for one happy the Firefighters responded this way. I cannot imagine Reedy Firefighters have the desire to create drama, nor do I believe drama is in the best interest of Disney. You never know when a small fire can expand. Example, the damage is short order to the Tiki Room. I would expect firefighters react the same way to hotels, schools, airports etc., they are professionals.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Oh I absolutely agree. I wasn't trying to say that they decided to create Drama by doing this but rather saying that I think it is in their best interest to over dramatize, or maybe better put: over react, in order to prevent panic or issues where something small becomes something much bigger.

But in the moment were the CM's or Fire Dept. able to determine that their response was an over reaction or does that knowledge come subsequently? Did the CM's have enough knowledge of electrical fires to know when calling 911 that the small fire would not expand? If indeed they have this type of Fire Fighting experience then maybe they over reacted.

If the Fire Department knew when they dispatched the rescue fire trucks for an elevated structure that it would not spread then yes it would be an over reaction. Me<---I think Disney and the Fire Dept. would have to be clarvoyent in order to predetermine what that fire potential was with their decision to respond to a call 911 and equally clarvoyent in dispatching the fire trucks. Both CM's and Fire Dept. react in the moment, nobody has the luxury of time to pre-analyze a fire that has started.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Woah woah woah woah...

I just got back from Disney World yesterday afternoon and this is the first I am hearing about this! I was in EPCOT on Sunday and not a word was mentioned anywhere that I saw, and we watched the news while we were there!
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast