Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Will the Success of "The Muppets" yield anything in the parks in the News & Rumors forums; I'd really like to see Les Chefs de France start serving a frogs' legs and pork entree. That would be awesome....
    MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Will the Success of "The Muppets" yield anything in the parks

I'd really like to see Les Chefs de France start serving a frogs' legs and pork entree. That would be awesome.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcb View Post
    I was merely pointing out that the Muppets was hardly a smash hit
    But it was, it far and away out performed what the studio was hoping for, was widely heralded by the public and met with rave reviews by the critics.
    It was a small budget movie with a small promotional budget featuring a dead franchise by pop culture standards. If Disney had spent half as much promoting it as they did The Game Plan it probably would've done twice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    I'd really like to see Les Chefs de France start serving a frogs' legs and pork entree. That would be awesome.
    And scatter mouse traps throughout The Magic Kingdom.

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by StewbotTalborg View Post
    But it was, it far and away out performed what the studio was hoping for, was widely heralded by the public and met with rave reviews by the critics.
    It was a small budget movie with a small promotional budget featuring a dead franchise by pop culture standards. If Disney had spent half as much promoting it as they did The Game Plan it probably would've done twice as well.
    Where do you get your information that Disney didn't promote the film? Or that Disney only spent half as much promoting it? I believe Disney spent quite a bit promoting the fime
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

They did really promote it quite a bit... But the part about the budget and such was spot on... They really didn't break the bank for it at all...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder

A movie like the Muppets obviously wasn't going to be a blockbuster. With the exception of Toy Story 3 most animated/children's movies do not make a lot of money. The critical appraise and facn reaction was huge though and they are such a great group of characters to incorporate in DHS
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcb View Post
    Where do you get your information that Disney didn't promote the film? Or that Disney only spent half as much promoting it? I believe Disney spent quite a bit promoting the fime
    I'm sorry, I wasn't speaking off of direct figures, just the general rule that studios try and spend no more than a third of the films budget on marketing.

I still really don't feel like it was promoted quite well enough but everyone else I talk to seems to think it was, so I'll admit I'm probably in the wrong on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipadeedooda View Post
    A movie like the Muppets obviously wasn't going to be a blockbuster. With the exception of Toy Story 3 most animated/children's movies do not make a lot of money. The critical appraise and facn reaction was huge though and they are such a great group of characters to incorporate in DHS
    I think animated/children's movies do fairly well actually. Disney, for one, wouldn't be where they are if child focused entertainment wasn't as profitable as it is. You're getting families into these movies, who buy 3-4 tickets to get everyone in. And for a company like Pixar, whose films aren't cheap to make, they have to make even more to make a profit. And so far they're doing pretty well.

The Muppets wasn't going to be a blockbuster, IMHO, because for young children, they were pretty irrelevant. The major pull for the film was for the nostalgia of people who grew up with them and wanted to introduce their children to the characters they so loved at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by StewbotTalborg View Post
    I think animated/children's movies do fairly well actually. Disney, for one, wouldn't be where they are if child focused entertainment wasn't as profitable as it is. You're getting families into these movies, who buy 3-4 tickets to get everyone in. And for a company like Pixar, whose films aren't cheap to make, they have to make even more to make a profit. And so far they're doing pretty well.

The Muppets wasn't going to be a blockbuster, IMHO, because for young children, they were pretty irrelevant. The major pull for the film was for the nostalgia of people who grew up with them and wanted to introduce their children to the characters they so loved at that age.
    I agree that Disney animated films are generally money makers... So long as they are good... I think the Muppet film was not so much doomed by irrelevance as it was the rebuilding of their relevance... They definitely were at a disadvantage because the children had probably never seen a Muppet film... But I think this is the beginning so long as Disney is willing to put the time in...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    I think the Muppet film was not so much doomed by irrelevance as it was the rebuilding of their relevance... They definitely were at a disadvantage because the children had probably never seen a Muppet film... But I think this is the beginning so long as Disney is willing to put the time in...
    Exactly. I'm not saying that today's kids can't "get" the Muppets because they aren't CGI or anything like that, just that they are strangers to them.

I'm with ya... It could be the beginning...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

Jetjaguar is offline D-Ticket Holder

My hope upon hopes is that the movie is the launch platform for at least 2 new Muppet attractions (but realistically, we can hope for 1). Either a thrill-type ride (I know a Muppet-themed coaster ride was being talked about) or better yet, an interactive-audience attraction. I'd much rather have the Muppets interact with the audience than Crush...

9/2004 - Polynesian - first time at WDW!
    10/2005 - Not the Polynesian (Port Orleans)
    12/2006 - 1/2007 - Polynesian - Christmas & New Year's!
    10/2008 - Polynesian for Halloween!

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Jetjaguar View Post
    My hope upon hopes is that the movie is the launch platform for at least 2 new Muppet attractions (but realistically, we can hope for 1). Either a thrill-type ride (I know a Muppet-themed coaster ride was being talked about) or better yet, an interactive-audience attraction. I'd much rather have the Muppets interact with the audience than Crush...
    I don't see a Muppets Rollercoaster coming anytime soon. I feel like we would be more likely to see a Monsters Inc. coaster first (involving the door sequence). But an interactive show would be good
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

I'd take the muppet themed restaurant like Great Gonzos... Anything Muppet like would be great with me...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

I definitely would not vote for a thrill ride, but a major refurb of Muppet Vision along with a muppet themed dining experience would be great. Question - would the Muppets continue to be mostly limited to HS, or do you see their influence expanding to other areas of the resort?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast