Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss new enforcement of fastpass in the News & Rumors forums; I don't know. I don't buy that reason. Park capacity is park capacity. Doesn't matter what year. As the overall resort attendance has risen, so have the number of restaurants ...
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: new enforcement of fastpass

I don't know. I don't buy that reason. Park capacity is park capacity. Doesn't matter what year. As the overall resort attendance has risen, so have the number of restaurants to service the masses.

The dining plan is indeed the main culprit because it got people into restaurants they wouldn't have normally patronized. That's wonderful for Disney, but stinks for folks who'd rather fly by the seat of their pants.

Sorry, I realize there are more than two sides to every story, but this is one that I feel strongly about and have no intention of budging on.

Thom Morrow is offline B-Ticket Holder

I don't understand why you can't still fly by the seat of your pants. You still can. You just may run into a few places that are too busy to accomodate you. So what you would rather is have everything your way always and no options for people who may not have the money to experience something cool like the DDP otherwise.

And the more Disney studies queues and guest movement, the more feedback they receive on crowd movement, attraction utilization, etc., the more we all win because intelligent flow incentives and guest "scheduling" throughout the parks will work to distribute people better and minimize wait times for everyone.

Sometimes people are so afraid of change. Give it a chance.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Give it a rest, brother. I'm not opposed to change.

When we went during Christmas in 2006 we could not even eat a sit down meal in our own resort. Now, admittedly it had been a decade since we had last been there, but that was the first time I'd ever run into a situation where we had to leave our resort in order to get a decent meal.

And don't give me this elitist nonsense. Disney isn't losing money on the dining plan. People could still afford to eat at those restaurants, they just never bothered to find that out until the dining plan came out.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    Maybe this is slightly off topic but it goes along with reservations but since Fastpass is a reservation sytsem I'll go with it. We had reservations at Akershus once for breakfast. We stood in line to check in and I struck up a conversation with the guy in front of us. Once we got up to the desk he told the hostess that they were late for their reserved time. I'd say they were late, they missed it by an HOUR. So they got seated before us and we "missed" our reservation.

I agree though, making reservations 90 days out for things like a standard egg, bacon and potato breakfast is a little silly. But what do you expect?
    Yes, vacations should be about flexibility. Why would I want to figure out what park I'm planning to be at in 90 days? I'm there for a week. I'll hit each park eventually. My plans always change day to day, minute to minute. I never understood dopey people paying other dopey people for 'touring plans'. Figure it out yourself. Planning on going to Epcot tomorrow but it's going to rain? Maybe switch to Animal Kingdom, where there are more natural and man-made canopies overhead. But trying to plan out which park to visit three months from now so you can plna out meals is ludacris. Same way people check the weather forecast a month out to pack for a trip that's still a month a way is downright insane.

As for fast pass time enforcement, good for Disney. That's the way it should have been all along. I've heard people complain that maybe the fast pass return time isn't until 2:30 and it's only 10:00 now, so they might not still be in that park because they have an ADR elsewhere. Then don't get the fast pass. It's not like the distribution time is a secret... there is a sign before you get your pass. If it's not within your stupid touring plan schedule, then don't get it. Or better yet, toss your touring plan, take the fast pass, and relax. You're on vacation.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Duuuuuuuude, just cancel the ADR if you don't want to use it. Just make sure it's not within 48 hours of the ADR because several restaurants on property impose a per-person penalty for doing so. $20 a head at California Grill.

OH!! Enjoy your stay!

Can you imagine another 4 or 5 star hotel on the planet that would tell its guests they're going to have to eat elsewhere?

disneyfun55 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    But that assumes that that is the reason they are enforcing the rules. But the "rules" for Fastpasses - as given to the CMs - are to accept late FPs, as long as they are the same day. There are a variety of reasons that there is a window instead of just a "return after" time (I think I mentioned them here already). This has been known for years, and Disney has had data for years. But they are making the change now, right before they introduce another system that will likely increase the use of the FP line and could create issues, but also it is likely they want to have one consistent rule for both systems (which jives with what CMs have been told).
    I think we are in agreement Doconeill. I know that the CM's have been given the instructions that they can accept FP's anytime after the window opens, but I view this as WDW extending a courtesy to the guests as an exception to the printed requirements. I also agree that their new policy of adhering to the printed return window is in preparation for the new system so the guests will be more prepared and used to following their FP instructions. The only thing I was trying to say was that the loop hole that had been used to horde FP's or return hours later will be removed - you will now have to follow the rules that have really been in place for years.
    A correlary would be that if one made a reservation at a restaurant for lunch, you wouldn't expect it to be valid at dinner time simply because you decided to do something other than eat lunch there.

As for the ADR situation as it pertains to the dining plan, this can be argued till infinity. The dining plan is a great plan for both WDW's bottom line and for the guests. The focus of the plan is to book up the restaurants so they can maximize their revenue streams. All businesses want to do this. Demand is high for quality restaurants at WDW. Even before the Dining Plan was implemented, it was still very hard to get an ADR at a lot of restaurants, so I do not feel that it is entirely to blame for the crowding of the restaurants - but it certainly is not innocent of it either!

What the dining plan has done is get people to prepay an amount for their food. They then try to maximize that plan and they become more focused on where they are going to eat. Net result is more people calling into make ADR's that may not have even known that table service was available in the parks!

What it has also done for the guest is to allow them to "work the system" and get more out of the plan than what they paid for it. This can be done with careful planning on the use of their credits - I know that the total me and my wife's meals were over $500 for a 4 day visit and saved a good chunk of change by using the plan.

Both sides really benefit if they "work the system". WDW has recognized that there were problems with the ADR's and has implemented policies to help make things a bit more fair for everyone. The first that I saw was when they required a credit card to hold a reservation for places like CRT and a penalty if you did not show or cancel within a certain amount of time. The second was that they have done a lot to prohibit people from making reservations at multiple restaurants at the same time on the same day. This opened up more tables for more guests! Yes, one had to plan out where they were going to eat on which day and it took a little more planning on the part of the guest - but is that REALLY all that different from making reservations at restaurants in one's own home town? Some high end restaurants in the real world book up weeks, if not months and years in advance!

While I agree it is a shame that you can't walk up and get a table at CRT, I also understand that the reason that you can't is because WDW provides a quality experience at their top notch restaurants that many people want to experience. There are a lot of people at the parks because WDW has done a lot to enhance the whole park experience and have done a GREAT job at advertising it. Do I miss the 80's when you could essentially have the park to yourself and walk into any ride or restaurant - yes! But if it had remained that way, there would not be a WDW today, or at the very least, not be as good as it is today!

I also know that it is not desirable to not be able to go into the table service restaurant at your own resort and be served. It is inconvenient. But the table service restaurants at the resorts are, for the most part, better than what you find in the parks. One would have to expect the better restaurants to book up. It is also why WDW has opened counter service restaurants at every resort that has a table service location as far as I can remember. This way, a guest always has a food option at their resort. And if the food at the counter service is not what you would like, then there is always room service.

If I choose to experience WDW's top notch restaurants, I know what I have to do - the same if I want to go to a top notch restaurant in the real world, make a reservation. On the other side of the coin, I also know that I can always walk into 5 Guys, Pizza Hut, or McDonalds at anytime and get food too.

Not everyone is always going to be happy, but I think that what WDW has done is implement marketing and procedural policies that have the possibility of pleasing the majority. If you are not in the majority, then I would rethink what you are really trying to get out of your vacation and just how much of an imposition WDW is really putting on you.

So you have to make reservations three to four star restaurants a month out or more? I never have.

disneyfun55 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Duuuuuuuude, just cancel the ADR if you don't want to use it. Just make sure it's not within 48 hours of the ADR because several restaurants on property impose a per-person penalty for doing so. $20 a head at California Grill.

OH!! Enjoy your stay!

Can you imagine another 4 or 5 star hotel on the planet that would tell its guests they're going to have to eat elsewhere?
    Actually, I can. I worked at a 5 diamond resort in Hilton Head, SC that would book up in advance during the busy times of the year. Resort guest or not, if you didn't have a reservation, you were not seated. They would also do all that they could if there was a possibility of serving every guest, but they would not risk angering a guest that had made a reservation because they had taken a walk up.

Well, I've done a lot of travelling and WDW is the only place I've ever been turned away. So, I'll take your word for it, but still have to factor in my own experiences.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Yes, vacations should be about flexibility. Why would I want to figure out what park I'm planning to be at in 90 days? I'm there for a week. I'll hit each park eventually. My plans always change day to day, minute to minute. I never understood dopey people paying other dopey people for 'touring plans'. Figure it out yourself. Planning on going to Epcot tomorrow but it's going to rain? Maybe switch to Animal Kingdom, where there are more natural and man-made canopies overhead. But trying to plan out which park to visit three months from now so you can plna out meals is ludacris. Same way people check the weather forecast a month out to pack for a trip that's still a month a way is downright insane.

As for fast pass time enforcement, good for Disney. That's the way it should have been all along. I've heard people complain that maybe the fast pass return time isn't until 2:30 and it's only 10:00 now, so they might not still be in that park because they have an ADR elsewhere. Then don't get the fast pass. It's not like the distribution time is a secret... there is a sign before you get your pass. If it's not within your stupid touring plan schedule, then don't get it. Or better yet, toss your touring plan, take the fast pass, and relax. You're on vacation.
    i think the whole dining issue is for people who make reservations and simply blow it off... thats where it becomes a problem... i would wonder how many times a day a random restaurant at WDW has a missed res... we know they want you to cancel a day in advance, but i would bet if you called a few hours ahead and told them you wouldn't be able to make it, they probably wouldn't crucify you for it... as for the FP mike i am with you... it used to get me every time i would go on an attraction and see people with FP's from 4 hours ago... i get the idea that people don't want to be "structured" but honestly... if you have a FP for Space in an hour, stay near Tomorrowland... if not... just forget it... thats what i think Disney is saying now...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    i think the whole dining issue is for people who make reservations and simply blow it off... thats where it becomes a problem... i would wonder how many times a day a random restaurant at WDW has a missed res...
    They've taken some steps against this in the past. Their computerized system now keeps guests from making multiple ADRs for the same time, which was a big problem for them in the past.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    They've taken some steps against this in the past. Their computerized system now keeps guests from making multiple ADRs for the same time, which was a big problem for them in the past.
    They also recently increased the locations for which there is a credit card hold, and a charge for a no show - basically any of the most popular ones. Like was said earlier, I'm sure they are pretty lenient as long as you call on those.

They are REALLY trying to cut down on the people who book multiple ADRs in different locations just so they have an option for wherever they happen to be that day. It was a fairly well known tactic.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I'm happy that they are actually enforcing this, too. Too many of these "overplanner" families who can't seem to plan where they will be dining, somehow. I guess there was no column on their charts and graphs for dining? No, better to just book seven different dinners in case they're at one of the parks, a resort, Downtown Disney, or a water park. Still, I had called one day to cancel my reservation and they told me the system was down and to just not make the reservation. Never did get hit with the fee. I hope they actually enforce this policy.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

As annoying as the reservation system and FP system is, my problem is this. Every CM needs to be on the same page. For example, on our last trip we went to DHS and we decided to ride Star Tours. There are five of us but our youngest is too little to ride so we opted for the Rider Switch. I asked the CM's at the entrance for a switch pass and I was told that it wasn't needed. I was told to just tell the CM who was letting people on that the wife and I would be switching due to the little one. So we spent an hour going through the line and when we got to the end I told the CM there that we were gonig to switch off because of the little one. She told me no. She told me I had to get a rider switch pass at the entrance to the queue line. I argued with her but she wouldn't budge so I sat out and let the wife and other two girls ride it. I was furious. As we were waiting at the exit a CM came up to my daughter and I and asked how we enjoyed the ride. I explained to him what happened. He apologized and reached in his pocket and removed three switch passes and told us to ride all we wanted.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    As annoying as the reservation system and FP system is, my problem is this. Every CM needs to be on the same page. For example, on our last trip we went to DHS and we decided to ride Star Tours. There are five of us but our youngest is too little to ride so we opted for the Rider Switch. I asked the CM's at the entrance for a switch pass and I was told that it wasn't needed. I was told to just tell the CM who was letting people on that the wife and I would be switching due to the little one. So we spent an hour going through the line and when we got to the end I told the CM there that we were gonig to switch off because of the little one. She told me no. She told me I had to get a rider switch pass at the entrance to the queue line. I argued with her but she wouldn't budge so I sat out and let the wife and other two girls ride it. I was furious. As we were waiting at the exit a CM came up to my daughter and I and asked how we enjoyed the ride. I explained to him what happened. He apologized and reached in his pocket and removed three switch passes and told us to ride all we wanted.
    I wonder if the one on the inside was new, or working Star Tours when they don't normally. They often use the "switch at ride" method at Star Tours, so if she worked there regularly I don't know why she wouldn't be aware of this. Plus, they let you into the queue with the young one, which they normally wouldn't do either if RS was being used...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast