Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss New Imagination sponsor: Colorvision? in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by Mo Noyz So the MK was built in the 70's, and the themeing of Tomorrowland was based upon the not-so-distant future... ...as seen... ...in the 50's. That ...
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: New Imagination sponsor: Colorvision?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    So the MK was built in the 70's, and the themeing of Tomorrowland was based upon the not-so-distant future...

...as seen...

...in the 50's.

That was realistic, not corny and retro.

Perhaps I need to look up the word retro again.
    It was for the most part a copy of what was already in Disneyland. Yes, by that time it was becoming retro, although I don't think it was nearly as severe as it is seen now, since that future was still fresh in people's minds - we had just finally made it to the moon, so the optimistic future was still there, and kids still wanted to be astronauts, etc.

Now more recently we've taken a more cynical view of that future. Heck, we still have problems getting to orbit...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Yeah, but where do you go from there? You're kind of making it sound like it's an easy fix and Disney needs to get off their lazy hindquarters.

I didn't like the make-over, but the Jules Verne fantasy future was as good of a choice as they could have come up with.

I still miss the old Tomorrowland, as well as the original decor and theme of the Contemporary. I'm more of a minimalist these days, so I miss that sleek, uncluttered look. The "Jetsons" future.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Maybe it's because they took a pretty solid pavilion and essentially destroyed it. Not something you often see in WDW. So why not start over again with what worked?
    Actually, I think it's quite the opposite, especially within Epcot (peeking into MK, Stitch's Great Escape comes to mind). But with Epcot, Living Seas vs. Nemo, Horizons vs. Mission:Space, World of Motion vs. Test Track, Spaceship Earth v1 and 2 vs v3 (although the new animatronics are amazing, I'll ive them that). The pavilions I would MOST like to see get a face lift would be Imagination and Energy. Universe of Energy has to be one of THE worst installations in that park, and that includes Dr. Nigel Channing's blunder across the way.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Yeah, but where do you go from there? You're kind of making it sound like it's an easy fix and Disney needs to get off their lazy hindquarters.

I didn't like the make-over, but the Jules Verne fantasy future was as good of a choice as they could have come up with.

I'm not sure I was necessarily advocating anything or saying there was an easy fix. I was saying that Disney decided for the most part permanently to forgo trying to keep Tomorrowland as a representation of a reasonably possible future, and keep the "retro future" idea...basically so they didn't have to keep re-inventing everything. They can for the most part just sit on it longer now. Unfortunately, what changes they HAVE made haven't really improved anything, with Stitch (my oldest daughter LOVES Stitch, and even she'll skip the attraction) and Monsters Inc. being the most recent abombination-er, I mean, "improvements".

"Future World", however, should still be showcasing cutting edge innovation and ideas around science and tech. Imagination was an "outlier" in some respects, but was meant to represent how Imagination sparks innovation, so it kinda fit. But for the other pavilions:

- The Seas - they took out the cool stuff that made it an "underwater base", and made it a Nemo-themed aquarium.

- The Land - Soarin' is not an attraction that fits the theme. Hydroponics are almost as "retro" as Tomorrowland

- Universe of Energy - I don't think anyone disagrees, it needs a heavy update if not a bulldozer. sure, we can get power from the wind, and we do - but nobody actually wants the things in their backyard...

- Wonders of Life - nothing to see here, move along...

- Mission: SPACE - Hey, it fits the theme, although a large percentage seem to dislike it in general. Too bad it made too many people sick. And too bad they based it a bit off a bomb of a movie, and even brought in the lead actor (as much as I like Gary Sinise in general). Far more would prefer the return of Horizons.

- Test Track - Outlier. Wasn't much about innovation...but the refurb might bring it more in tune - we'll see. World of Motion was probably more of a fit (it had closed to begin the Test Track conversion when I first visited).

- Innoventions - well, it's got it right there in the name. Too bad they seem to add as much kiddie play areas as they do interesting technology.

I still miss the old Tomorrowland, as well as the original decor and theme of the Contemporary. I'm more of a minimalist these days, so I miss that sleek, uncluttered look. The "Jetsons" future.
    I once thought that I'd find it interesting to stay in a hotel themed to being a spaceship. But then I realized how that probably wouldn't be popular... Plus, there's two basic spaceship themes - the antiseptic, whitewall types ala the Rebel ships or Enterprise, or the industrial, cramped, we-keep-it-dark-so-you-don't-see-the-grime type, ala Aliens
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Yeah Mike, but other than Living Seas and Spaceship Earth the other attraction were wholesale change.

Imagination really stands out because it was a solid pavilion, they destroyed and shortened the ride, and shut down an entire floor.

Then they tried to bring back a half-hearted version of the original, which didn't work either. Definitely an odd situation.

And don't even get me started on that corner of Tomorrowland. That building needs to be bulldozed. Period. Alien Encounter was very solid, but everything else that has ever been in there was/is a complete disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    "Future World", however, should still be showcasing cutting edge innovation and ideas around science and tech.
    Doc, cutting edge technology is released as quickly as they can complete it these days.

How does EPCOT spend a year or more creating this cutting edge technology without it it already being mainstream by the time the project is completed?

It simply isn't possible anymore.

Doc, cutting edge technology is released as quickly as they can complete it these days.

How does EPCOT spend a year or more creating this cutting edge technology without it it already being mainstream by the time the project is completed?

It simply isn't possible anymore.
    That's part of the problem with basing anything on an idea of the future, especially the near future, but that didn't stop them from trying.

In theory, it should be the companies/sponsors wanting to showcase their cutting edge ideas, not Disney necessarily having to invent it themselves - although Imagineering is good at it. That's what should be filling Innoventions at least, and the companies can continually refresh. Takes the onus off Disney, but then runs the risk of a suddenly empty pavilion.
    Doc

It might be cheaper and easier on everyone if Disney just changed the name from "Future World". If ever there was a time, it's now.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

I say they just need to find a way to freeze it in time, so to speak. Make it the "Jetsons" future of the 50's and 60's while also incorporating newer technology.

Not that this would qualify, but I always wondered why they didn't do something along the lines of combining the WoM dark ride with the Test Track thrill ride. Since the only truly thrilling part is outside of the original building, they could have easily fused the two in an interesting way.

I say they just need to find a way to freeze it in time, so to speak. Make it the "Jetsons" future of the 50's and 60's while also incorporating newer technology.

Not that this would qualify, but I always wondered why they didn't do something along the lines of combining the WoM dark ride with the Test Track thrill ride. Since the only truly thrilling part is outside of the original building, they could have easily fused the two in an interesting way.
    That would have been a great idea...go through the history of motion and vehicles...build up speed as you go...then VROOM! outside...

I think the idea of freezing time is what they already did for Tomorrowland, and it would be a cop-out for Future World as well. Better off breaking the association with "Future" and come up with something else.
    Doc

In many ways, we've already surpassed some of the communication technology from old shows like Star Trek. Plus, the minute you leave the store with your brand new tech gadget, it's already outdated, these days.

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

It's a fun discussion, isn't it? Don't get me wrong, the future is difficult and costly to present. Future World itself in it's original form primarily depicted the past via Time Travel rides. For the future we would usually get treated to the always inspiring views of our space program, usually with one of the shuttles blasting off. Spaceship Earth has never spoken much about the future at all. Horizons was the only ride that went into full tilt future mode and that was only the second half of the attraction.

What I feel is missing is a commitment to the idea that technology can make life better. We have become cynical. When you say that you can't keep up with technology, I agree that you can't if you're looking near future - innovations are coming fast and furious. You could present current and soon to be technology in Innoventions, I think that makes sense. But I also think the strength of the original concept was to show what was possible. Disney didn't do that by themselves, it was a cooperative effort between them, corporations and scientists. I'm thinking in a much longer viewpoint. How do we become more efficient in our use of resources? Maybe we should be looking inwards a bit rather than always towards outer space. Instead of Avatarland, Cameron should be working on the Living Seas - that's a perfect fit. Imagination can be done in any number of ways, but there needs to be things there that allow people to explore their creativity. Technology can be part of it but certainly isn't the driving factor. I do think that outer space does spark inspiration, how about a pavilion dedicated to our solar system? Perhaps Energy could be shortened and rethemed that way?

The original building structures and layout of Future World are pretty masterful. To me they've always been a logical extension of the classic Tomorrowland design. It's the design of Tomorrowland I miss, not the rides themselves. The one ride I truly miss there is If You Had Wings, and that had nothing to do with the future, but about the possibilities of travel. I agree the whole Future World theme should be reconsidered. Imagination was never about the future, and their decision to destroy it still puzzles me (maybe everyone). By now that original ride would be sadly dated, just like Horizons would be. We'd be clamoring for a refurb.

Sorry for the rambling, I'm trying to gather my thoughts on this together without much success.

I still say they did themselves in when they branded it "Future World." At that point, they shoehorned themselves with theming. Now is their opportunity to revise the area and call it something more appropriate. Let's face it... Walt's boneheaded original vision of "EPCOT" was never going to happen. At least they gave us a fun little 3D map to view on the TTA, but that was a close as anyone was ever going to get to building that crazy city. As sad was they were to see him go, at some point someone along the line must have breathed a sign of relief with his passing, as well. "What? Walt's gone? I say we take his city of the future idea and just build an amusement park instead. Who's with me?"

So Walt and Roy were able to buy a huge chunk of land in central Florida under the guise of several phony companies to keep speculation to a minimum. He then somehow talked the Florida legislature into essentially annexing the land from the state and becoming their own autonomous region with full governmental control. He also applied for, and was granted, a permit to build a nuclear plant by the federal government.

And you're going to sit there today and guarantee he WOULDN'T have ever built EPCOT.

Um, yeah.

Because we all know Walt was never into doing anything everyone else thought impossible.

Not Wa'ts vision of his amusement park. He got that. Not even a development of a city. They built Celebration. But I'm talking about his "city of tomorrow". Check the old map (should be pictures online) an tell me how close they came to that original vision with what became the Epcot amusement park. Crazy city of the future? Yeah, you know what? We're not going to build that. Another amusement park where families can go and spend time together? Sure, that's a bit more reasonable for us to construct.

I'm not arguing what COULD have been. I'm stating what the developers chose to do after Walt's death. Not even close.
    Last edited by supernova; 03-28-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast