Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss New Imagination sponsor: Colorvision? in the News & Rumors forums; Walt's EPCOT didn't come about for the most part because he died, and the corporate types, including his brother, didn't necessarily share his vision for such a massive amount of ...
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: New Imagination sponsor: Colorvision?

Walt's EPCOT didn't come about for the most part because he died, and the corporate types, including his brother, didn't necessarily share his vision for such a massive amount of spending.

Walt wanted the city built first - but the others balked on it. Walt gave in and said they would build the Magic Kingdom first, which appeased the money guys because they could get revenue sooner. When he died, everything else was put on hold, and eventually canceled. EPCOT itself was rebranded as Walt Disney World. And even the MK and the resorts had cutbacks in areas.

I also think that Walt's original vision was over-idealized as well, and probably would be scaled back. Celebration was developed with some of the ideas, but obviously not nearly to the grand scale that Walt wanted. Speaking of futuristic, retro or otherwise - if EPCOT did get built, it probably still would be an example of a futuristic city and not likely duplicated anywhere at this point.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Not Wa'ts vision of his amusement park. He got that. Not even a development of a city. They built Celebration. But I'm talking about his "city of tomorrow". Check the old map (should be pictures online) an tell me how close they came to that original vision with what became the Epcot amusement park. Crazy city of the future? Yeah, you know what? We're not going to build that. Another amusement park where families can go and spend time together? Sure, that's a bit more reasonable for us to construct.

I'm not arguing what COULD have been. I'm stating what the developers chose to do after Walt's death. Not even close.
    OK, I get what you're saying now. I thought you were initially saying Walt himself would have never built it.

What was boneheaded about his original EPCOT scheme?

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

I also think that Walt's original vision was over-idealized as well, and probably would be scaled back. Celebration was developed with some of the ideas, but obviously not nearly to the grand scale that Walt wanted. Speaking of futuristic, retro or otherwise - if EPCOT did get built, it probably still would be an example of a futuristic city and not likely duplicated anywhere at this point.
    Couldn't agree more with any of this.

Well said.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Instead of EPCOT, we got Celebration. Nowhere near the same.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    OK, I get what you're saying now. I thought you were initially saying Walt himself would have never built it.

What was boneheaded about his original EPCOT scheme?
    Walt was a dreamer, who teetered on the line between brilliant and bafoon.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

I'd love to hear you explain that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Sadly, the acronym has become a word or amusement park name. And nothing about the amusement park (especially today) fits the acronym in any way. To keep Walt's vision, they just tacked the name onto the park. But it is in no way even remotely close to what "EPCOT" was to be.

I'm not talking about the park. I'm talking about the city.

This conversation is getting a bit confusing.

That's what I meant. Walt's original vision for EPCOT was a city, the whole experimental prototype nonsense. Instead, after his death, they took the acronym, used it as the name of a park, and all we have left of Walt's city idea is the model inside the TTA.

The park we have today in no way warrants the EPCOT acronym, and has more become a name, which I guess is why the Disney company finally dropped EPCOT in favor of Epcot. Although the whole Experimental and Tomorrow bits are what covinced the Imagineers to go with "Future World" which, as we've already discussed, enabled them to shoot themselves in the foot going forward. Future World is no longer anything to do with future.
    Last edited by supernova; 03-28-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Don't forget...the park was called "EPCOT Center", and wasn't really EPCOT itself. EPCOT, in terms of the land and projects, is what is today called Walt Disney World, and more formally, the Reedy Creek Improvement District. EPCOT Center was roughly at the geographical center of the property, and approximately where they "city" would have been built.

EPCOT Center basically just took the original project acronym and location, and became a "showcase" park for various things. It was actually two different competing concepts, that they literally "pushed together" into one (really, they pushed the two development models together). Eventually, they dropped "Center" and made EPCOT an actual word, since the acronym really didn't apply to anything that was actually built.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

Exactly. Which is why they eventually stopped capitalizing the letters and went with Epcot. To the best of my recollection (unless it just wasn't as blatant and in our faces), the script on the want was the first place they showcased the lowe case lettering?

I don't remember what was the first case of using the lower case letters, but I think it was much earlier than the wand...mid- to late-90s I think.

Didn't they for a time fool around with the name and having the year after it, trying to model it more like the World's Fair?
    Doc

The name or the logo?

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I don't remember what was the first case of using the lower case letters, but I think it was much earlier than the wand...mid- to late-90s I think.

Didn't they for a time fool around with the name and having the year after it, trying to model it more like the World's Fair?
    I think

EPCOT Center- opening
    EPCOT-'94
    Epcot-'96
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    That's what I meant. Walt's original vision for EPCOT was a city, the whole experimental prototype nonsense. .
    I guess I'm not seeing where the "nonsense" is.

If Walt had lived another 10 years, I strongly believe we'd have an actual city. Scaled down, or otherwise. You don't go through all the trouble he went through to acquire 40 square miles of prime central Florida land, sweet talk your way into being able to annex said land thereby being able to govern yourself, and apply for a permit to build a nuclear plant just to build a clone of your theme park from California. It simply wouldn't be worth the investment.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast