Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss New Imagination sponsor: Colorvision? in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by Mo Noyz I guess I'm not seeing where the "nonsense" is. If Walt had lived another 10 years, I strongly believe we'd have an actual city. Scaled ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: New Imagination sponsor: Colorvision?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I guess I'm not seeing where the "nonsense" is.

If Walt had lived another 10 years, I strongly believe we'd have an actual city. Scaled down, or otherwise. You don't go through all the trouble he went through to acquire 40 square miles of prime central Florida land, sweet talk your way into being able to annex said land thereby being able to govern yourself, and apply for a permit to build a nuclear plant just to build a clone of your theme park from California. It simply wouldn't be worth the investment.
    Not even sure possibly scaled down. Absolutely scaled down. There was no way we'd ever get a city out of it. They were wise to buy up all the land they could back then. Lots of room to expand. There is still tons of undeveloped land there, but I don't mind driving along tree-lined roads. Better than than I4. Leave the over-developed community to Anaheim.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by supe
    There was no way we'd ever get a city out of it.
    Of course not.

If he'd said back in the 60's he was going to build four theme parks, all of them bigger than Disneyland (one four times the size), 23 themed resort hotels, with a shopping and entertainment district, full-sized sports complex, race car track, several golf courses, and employing nearly 55,000 central Florida residents your reaction would have been the exact same thing.

And for the most part they did all of that without Walt.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

And likely because they didn't have Walt. While Walt was able to pull off the acquisition and permits for building in that area and the Government certainly had foresight about dollars it would bring in, I sincerely doubt Walt could over-come certain laws of our land with his day dream city.

Shy of turning the city into a dictatorship/communistic society we just have to many regulations on schools, park districts, libraries etc. Add in all the local governments have elections and referendums when money is borrowed. Even if he got it off the ground initially it likely would not have withstood any test of time. As Walt was dreaming in the 60's the Country changed so much. Likely he was just ignoring the times of the 60's and believing it would just fade away and just kept up the day dreams.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Hahahaha..."communist", That old meme never grows old.

They would have done just fine. It's not like they would have been their own country.

It was a community, people. Does anybody even understand the meaning of that word?

It actually wouldn't have been terribly dissimilar from the way RCID is right now. It just would have had more permanent residents.

Exactly. Communist nation is a bit extreme. Disney managed to get their own fire department on property, without relying on Kissimmee. Not sure about how Disney cops and Mickey jail rank as far as true law enforcement. Sure, they're able to give tickets for speeding, but so did the campus police at my college.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Right, it wouldn't have been completely self contained. I'm sure Walt was perfectly grounded in reality as far as that was concerned.

I would have basically been a huge tourist destination just as it is now, where people from around the world would come to see this prototypical city.

Pretty much like any other city in the world with heavy tourism.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Extreme on purpose. In order to keep it a Disney Community it would need to be that type of leadership.
    Disney is a controlled because nobody lives there. There are not any residents.

When Disney borrows money it is corporate. A community there are residents and then residents all get a vote on if money is borrowed. If Disney wants to build a 4 story bowling alley on their property and if permits fly, Disney gets it. A community the residents get to go before the elected governing body and have their own independent opinions. The elected governing body would be ever changing. Disney would then be just a large corporation within a residential community restricted by all laws.

If Disney didn't give their residents control over their community and the right to vote it would not be a democracy. Disney tried with Celebrations and the promise of superior schools. That failed miserably and they did not get their own school district and was not controlled by Celebration. For the most part Disney had to walk away for the most part from Celebration.

Disney also does not house their college programs on property either. Resident housing brings in the need for legal procedures for both domestic and criminal activities. When something happens on Disney World Property sometimes it can be handled strictly by their "security." If it goes beyond that the County Sheriff is called to Disney Property as Disney can only detain a guest for a very limited time without calling in real law enforcement. Ya, a Disney Community could have their own sworn officers too but they would need to be controlled by the local government a community is governed very differently than University. A university has the ability to toss you off the property, a community does not.

And if the community doesn't have residents it isn't a community, it is just another tourist attraction.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 03-30-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Disney could have owned it all and leased homes/apartments to residents.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Disney could have owned it all and leased homes/apartments to residents.
    That doesn't solve the issue of residency and representation. Walt's plan WAS that everyone would rent.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Renters don't vote. Owners do.

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

If this is true, too bad Disney never tried to get a sponsor for Wonders of Life to bring it back. Seems if they could get one for Imag. they could have for WoL, as well.

I don't know if a company like Colorvision could help foot the bill for anything major, could they?
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

Renters vote if they meet the requirements of residency. Ownership is not required.

It's one of the reasons why DVC has various restrictions on the number of points one can own and the length of a reservation, etc.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
    If this is true, too bad Disney never tried to get a sponsor for Wonders of Life to bring it back. Seems if they could get one for Imag. they could have for WoL, as well.

I don't know if a company like Colorvision could help foot the bill for anything major, could they?
    What I'm hearing now is that they are not likely to be a full pavilion sponsor, but basically just a vendor taking over the Imageworks area.
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Renters vote if they meet the requirements of residency. Ownership is not required. It's one of the reasons why DVC has various restrictions on the number of points one can own and the length of a reservation, etc.
    My grandmother rents her condo. She is still eligible to vote on the community board. Likewise, she can vote on Staten Island, having moved from Mulberry Street in Manhattan to this borough three years ago. Which vote are we talking about in this instance? Maybe I didn't scroll up far enough.

HG made a point earlier that if Disney were to borrow money the residents would have a vote as to whether they did or not.

Renters do not have a say in what the owner does. If the owner wants to borrow money for improvements/renovations/expansions/whathaveyou, the owner makes that decision.

There is no vote.

Not unless an arrangement is previously agreed upon.
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 03-31-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast