Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Poll: Do you think Walt Disney World will do away with Evening Extra Magic Hours?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Are Evening Extra Magic Hours at WDW on their way out?!?!?! in the News & Rumors forums; First, they did away with Evening Extra Magic Hours at Disney's Animal Kingdom. There wasn't too much uproar from the Disney community on this "perk" being taken away from onsite ...
    TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

Exclamation Are Evening Extra Magic Hours at WDW on their way out?!?!?!

First, they did away with Evening Extra Magic Hours at Disney's Animal Kingdom. There wasn't too much uproar from the Disney community on this "perk" being taken away from onsite guests. But, my family really misses it. Sometimes, a highlight of my WDW trip would be sitting behind Flametree BBQ during EEMH "relaxing" and enjoying the ambiance of DAK with no guest noise. Also, the Tree of Life is so beautiful illuminated at night.

Now, I hear that we are losing one hour during Evening Extra Magic Hours at Walt Disney World starting next year. My first thought, "Here we go!" I had a sinking feeling that this is the first step in eliminating EEMH @ WDW. If you've been to Disneyland, you know that they only offer Morning Extra Magic Hour. They just recently extended it from only DL to DCA too. It seems to work there. But, they only have two parks and WDW has four theme parks plus two water parks.

If/when they do eliminate EEMH at WDW, I WILL miss it. My family loves to visit the parks late, late at night. It's truly magical walking down Main Street in the Magic Kingdom at 3 am with just your family and a security person slowly walking you to the exit.

What's your opinion?
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Are Evening Extra Magic Hours at WDW on their way out?!?!?!

There are so many mixed opinions on which way Disney is going here. I'm not sure Disney even has it all cast into stone yet. There are just too many variables to consider.

The first one put out there is the park hours are not really going to be cut more the park hours for everyone are to be extended by an hour. So ya, cutting EMH's by an hour but still the same length. What is going on now is Disney is extending every guests hours and then still have in place the additional 3 hours. By cutting the EMH they will still be closing around the same time that they use to. Disney is expecting at the MK to have longer hours for the opening of FLE late this year to accomodate guests.
    Holding off until January when parks are slower is likely the best time to give it a try.

The second theory I've seen is the XPass. By having the perk for Resort guests preplanning their entire trip before outside guests, the need to lure more guests to stay on property with EMH might not be necessary anymore. Lets face it, there are some nicer deluxe resorts for far less money offsight and the dining options off sight are better values. EMHs is a draw to the resorts. Yet if Disney replaces their FP with the XPass for resort guests what do they really need EMH's for? EMH's are rough on the CM's, those are long hours for their full time CM's and more often than not it is the Full timers that are extended except during the busiest of times.

I too have done AK during the night. It is pretty. Beyond that not much is open during those evening hours. There is a low number of attractions in AK to start with and to support night EMH's there it is like welcome to very little. Disney is currently experimenting with night vision wear to open up that end of the park at night. They need to figure out how disruptive this will be to the animals during the night hours so I understand the need to test this out before making a commitment on this.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

I don't see them eliminating EMH as much as cutting them back. Partly this is due to the fact, IMO, that crowd levels drop significantly after 11PM or so as many people just cant make it to a 1AM or 2AM closing. Plus less turnaround time to prep the park for the next day, as Gabe mentioned touch on the CM's as well. I think it's mainly based off crowd projections and an decision to reduce operating hours where crowds get light.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

During crowded times of days gone bye now, my family use to sleep in, just catch breakfast at the hotel, go back to room, swim and hit the parks anywhere between 12pm - 3pm. Then we would stay in the parks for EMH. Often I'd go back to the hotel with DD by 1pm and DH would close the park with DS and they'd still swim when they got back. Then we'd sleep the morning away again. It worked for us.

In Mid-April this year the EMHs were far less crowded than they were years ago. I don't think it is as much people can't stay awake, I just think except during the highest crowd weeks the resorts are just not as full up as they once were. I booked my trip a couple weeks out and all hotels had rooms in all categories.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

i-neighborhood Guest

I have noticed the evening extra magic hours have overlapped by one hour that included all park guests.

We were able to take advantage of this one night, but not because we were staying on property.

I personally think its great they offer this perk to guests staying on property, but you would think they would offer this for Annual Pass holders, at least once in a while, but I won't hold my breath on that, especially if there's chatter about eliminating them all together.

Those magic bands, of course, we'll be the last to take advantage of that or any app, if ever.

I can see how it would be stressful on CMs and I'm not surprised that full timers are scheduled if not strong armed, figuratively speaking, into working the long hours.