Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Adding to "Pirates of the Caribbean" in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by bigbrian-nc.com I cpould live with thewand on Spaceship Earth, maybe even like it, but I'm really not fond of the impact of Leave a Legacy on the ...
    GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbrian-nc.com
    I cpould live with thewand on Spaceship Earth, maybe even like it, but I'm really not fond of the impact of Leave a Legacy on the entry plaza, at Epcot.
    You know, I have to agree with ya on this one. I am not happy with walking through the graveyard to get to Epcot!

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    I can't really say anything badly about Leave a Legacy because every time I went to Epcot it was always there. I guess things looked better without it.

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    Legacy reminds me of scenes from the N64 game:

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    Legacy was my old last name (different spl'ing)... Leaving a Legacy was always a major joke on my family vacations.. "oh boy what Legacy are we leaving this time".... Even though I think it's really ugly.. I wouldn't want to see it go... too many goofy memories would be lost for me..

rhodisney is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Oh--GaRain I agree with you about walking through the graveyard when you enter Epcot. There's nothing fun or happy about those cold, austere granite or marble stone slabs!! I can't believe people paid good money to have their names etched on something that will be demolished one day when the execs. decide to redo the entryway to Epcot.
    Back to the topic though, I'd love to see a Johnny Depp looking AA in POTC. It would be even better if they had a snippet of Jack sparrow's voice saying "But whay is the rum gone?" Or "Pirate" I don't think I'd like an Orlando Bloom AA or an Elizabeth AA though. Maybe Captain Barbosa on board the ship shooting cannonballs as you float by.
    Planning our 11th trip!!!
    Week after Christmas 2007POP Century
    Loved the new Pirates movie!!

Walt's Shadow is offline A-Ticket holder
    wow, i've never triggered such a big thread. in all my other boards i belong to, nothing like this! haha
    Sincerely,
    The Man in Walt's Shadow

zcook9 is offline Not close enough to the magic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tampa
    I think that'd be a great idea as long as he/they look exactly like the real thing and not some president with a woman's wig.
    I know what you mean .
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    Walt Disney was a great innovator and a man who had the ability to look forward, I think POC and a lot of other rides that have remained unchanged for decades would be completely different or not even in existence if we could somehow get his opinion on things. Computer technology exists today that could create AA figures far beyond almost anything in the parks now (just look at Lucky the Dinosuar), I believe Walt would have embraced that technology with both arms long ago.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

disneygramma is offline B-Ticket Holder

Smile

I am a great believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Having said that, I know that there are some attractions that do need updating. This would be ok provided it didn't didn't take forever and it didn't change it totally. I resist change every chance I get but I am also a realist and know that it is impossible. I do think that had Mr. Disney lived, things would have changed anyway.
    Second star to the right....straight on till morning!!!:mickey:

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    I have always thought that POTC in WDW was lacking, and seemed very rushed. Well, how it came across to me is exactly what it was. After seeing just how long the original Californian incarnation is, I was surprised people still visit it.

There's nothing that really needs doing in the town sequence, bar new animatronics and weaponry (Just how tacky do those light-up guns look?). The portion that really needs changing is the cavern sequence. I would love to see that changed, but there is of course the issue with space and real estate. Personally, I wished Florida could have its own version of the Bayou, but it wouldn't tie in with the themeing at all. So, may I present my own fantasy version, made assuming that unlimited space is available:

You would begin your 'voyage of adventure' in a loading area designed to look like a dock inside the fort that you have just queued in. Just as you are ready to get underway, the CM at the load position pushes a button to activate two large, wooden double doors that separate you from the attraction. Once open, you float through, and out into the blueish tones of a caribbean night.

The sky indoors effect is patterned after the bayou effect in California, Paris and Tokyo, and using forced projection, the small body of water that you are currently sailing through has been made to look like the open ocean, with stars in the sky, and small tropical islands in the distance, and ships on the horizon.

It is not long before you see a jungle inlet, the dark trees offering you some kind of eerie cover. Inside, you see a small rock face, with an smaller opening, and an even smaller waterfall on both sides (Inevitable 20K reference). You enter, and suddenly the sounds that are classic to Pirates Of The Caribbean greet you. It is the sound of violent ocean surf, and seagulls.

Entering the dark feature, you pass through a curtain waterfall separating the caves entrance from the actual cave, with a narrow opening keeping you just inches from being drenched in the endless flow of water. Once inside, you pass several smaller waterfalls in the sides (Like in the current WDW version), with seagulls in the inlets, and nesting bats hanging from the roof. Several stalactites rise from the dark water that surrounds the boats, and slowly, you begin to hear the trademark phrase, 'dead men tell no tales'.

This gets louder and louder, as you turn right around a sharp cliff-face. You are then greeted with a beach, littered with the remains of a pirate expedition. One is lying spreadeagled on the beach, speared to the dark sand by a sword (Like in the current WDW version), with a series of crabs nearby. At the back wall of this first beach stands another skeleton, run-through with a sword, and with a seagull nesting in his hat (Like in the DL version). One or two deep holes are built into the coastal sand, with spades and other digging equipment still dug into the sand.

Turning to the left this time, around the beach, we see the final beach, almost three times the size of the first. It is littered with a series of ship debris, such as wooden boards, ropes and planks. An upturned rowing boat lies at the rear, with a hole in its stern. In the water beside us, but out of arms reach, stands one skeleton (Actually fixed into the ground), with left arm raised to the ceiling, and a look of terror embedded in his skull. Two skeletons lie in the shallows, arms outstreched on the beach, as if gasping for breath. One lies at the back, its head three or four feet from its body. In the middle sits an open treasure chest, long-since looted, with a skeletal guardian lying over it, sword and pistol in hand. As in the current WDW version, the skull and swords flag is outstreched below it on the sand, with another few crabs fighting over a starfish.

Turning right, and passing the beach just as we did with the previous one, we pick up another debris trail, with wooden boards floating in the water. To the left floats a sinking rowing boat, amonst the constant stalactites, with the menacing fins of reef sharks silently patrolling around it in circles.

Suddenly, in a flash of lightning, the next show scene is lit - The classic skeleton at the wheel. In this version however, there is more evidence of wind and rain, with the ship's tattered sails billowing in an invisible hurricane. It is at this point that we hear the saftey speil about the drop, and see the talking skull and crossbones, before plunging into the action...

Whaddaya think?
    Last edited by 20K; 07-31-2005 at 05:02 PM.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

EPCOT MG is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hey I talked with Imagineers in august 2005. I asked about the ride and how they are going to handle it because of the new movies coming out and kids who are expecting the ride to be just like the movie. All they could tell me is that there is going to be a refurb. coming soon!! (with a wink)

Just for information... Johnny Depp has been spotted at POTC and EPCOT since then and there have been talks of a new face character coming to WDW. COULD THAT BE?

flutter is offline Moderator
    I Love Johnny Depp

SecondStar is offline Why is the rum gone?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by flutter
    I Love Johnny Depp
    Ditto!
    : Stephanie:

this is what dreams are made of

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    posted this twice accidentally. sorry.

If we can dream it, we can do it

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    I'm usually a staunch traditionalist in everything, but I'm gonna go ahead and restate, basically, what everyone else has said:

I like it how it is, but maybe a little updating might not be bad, as long as they don't mess up the feel of the original.

that said, I might could get down with a Jack Sparrow AA. I have already informed my fiance (one of her fave movies is POTC) that, when we go, POTC the Ride and POTC the Movie are very different.

the main thing, to me, is that they keep the characters as AA, and not some other newfangled computer something-or-other (I don't know exactly what I mean by that, but you get the idea). the AA is what I love about Disney. I don't like those "virtual" or "simulator" type rides (like Back to the Future at Universal or Star Tours at MGM) and I think that the AA is what sets Disney apart, and a cut above. so yeah, as long as all the chars are still AAs, and there's not too many fancy "effects" to entice the A.D.D. Generation, it's fine with me.

If we can dream it, we can do it

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast