Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Avatarland DOA? in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad When you are Empress of the World would you make me an avatar with Mickey's ears on a Cleveland Browns helmet?. Sure I will. But you ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Avatarland DOA?

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    When you are Empress of the World would you make me an avatar with Mickey's ears on a Cleveland Browns helmet?.
    Sure I will. But you have to realize it would be with a paint brush not a computer lol however I'll make sure there is some
    Empress-ette around with skills

I figure that's easier then asking for you to help them make it to the playoffs, there's somethings beyond the reach of mortal man or woman.
    True, Ohio has had its share of problems in the sports department in the last few years. My niece (Clev. gal) still has issues with the defector from BB Ohio to Miami. Can't let it go. But I do share your pain, as this Empress-In-Waiting is a Bears fan and moreover a Chicago Cubs fan. I have the patience of Job.

Future World is in DIRE need of work but so is Tomorrowland.

I really like the idea of adding Australia. Include a little area for Tazmania and New Zealand as well.
    Funny how those two areas are eerily similar. Wonder if they had some of the same designers. Both are pretty lack luster, boring right now, with a run-down cherry atop.

I saw a quote yesterday that said: The only way I'd be on-board for Avatar is if they used the Leave A Legacy Monuments for Avatars foundation. I'd add the Hat blocking my view of the Great Movie Ride into the mixer for the foundation.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 09-07-2012 at 11:55 PM.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

they need to make a decision regarding Future World soon... what happens to WoL pavillion... are Future World and Tomorrowland going to be the same exact concept, or is there a plan to make Future World different because as of now Tomorrowland is a throwback to the 1950's future, and Future World is a throwback to the 1980's...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    they need to make a decision regarding Future World soon... what happens to WoL pavillion... are Future World and Tomorrowland going to be the same exact concept, or is there a plan to make Future World different because as of now Tomorrowland is a throwback to the 1950's future, and Future World is a throwback to the 1980's...
    Well stated.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

I think i read on Stitch Kingdom or his twitter that there was a permit for partial demolition of the WoL pavillon
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcb View Post
    I think i read on Stitch Kingdom or his twitter that there was a permit for partial demolition of the WoL pavillon
    The permit was very vague. They could be reworking the whole pavilion, they could be moving one wall, or knocking down the leaking, rotting window entrance. Anyone's guess until more info is leaked or announced.

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-...olition-22070/

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

1950's?

I disagree, I think it used to be a throwback to the "future" of the 50's/60's. With all the sharp lines and sleek white features. And, of course, all those cool "retro-future" signs.

These days it's more in the Jules Vern/borderline steampunk vein.

That said, I miss the old Tomorrowland. Especially the huge water jets at the entrance from the hub.

As for Future World...I wouldn't even call that a throwback to the 80's. What it really is, IMO, is a mess. Mission:Space, Test Track, and to a certain extent, "The Seas", aren't really 80's at all. Spaceship Earth is timeless, no matter how you slice it. The Land (outside of Soarin'), and Universe of Energy are in stasis, and Journey is a sad, sad shell of what it once was.

While some of that may indeed be a throwback to the 80's, it almost seems as if it would be better off if the whole thing were.

Seems odd to say, but if capacity and money weren't an issue, it could be reasonably argued that completely closing Epcot and rebooting isn't that bad of an idea. Not realistic, I understand. But, it could be argued.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    1950's?

I disagree, I think it used to be a throwback to the "future" of the 50's/60's. With all the sharp lines and sleek white features. And, of course, all those cool "retro-future" signs.

These days it's more in the Jules Vern/borderline steampunk vein.

That said, I miss the old Tomorrowland. Especially the huge water jets at the entrance from the hub.

As for Future World...I wouldn't even call that a throwback to the 80's. What it really is, IMO, is a mess. Mission:Space, Test Track, and to a certain extent, "The Seas", aren't really 80's at all. Spaceship Earth is timeless, no matter how you slice it. The Land (outside of Soarin'), and Universe of Energy are in stasis, and Journey is a sad, sad shell of what it once was.

While some of that may indeed be a throwback to the 80's, it almost seems as if it would be better off if the whole thing were.

Seems odd to say, but if capacity and money weren't an issue, it could be reasonably argued that completely closing Epcot and rebooting isn't that bad of an idea. Not realistic, I understand. But, it could be argued.

Yeh... That's what I meant... Tomorrowland is like a Buck Rogers throwback to the 1950's vision of the future... I think the 80's version ofthe future was true at one point with Food Rocks and the Seas coupled with the Universe of Energy and Horizons... But your pointed certainly true that there is no true direction for Future World... What they need to do is stop trying to just refurbish pavilions, but actually connect them to some certain canon that Future World is... There is no story anymore... If there ever really was a tangible one to start with...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

That's a good point. I'm not sure there ever really was a cohesive story. There was a basic narrative of history and future. Where we've been and where we're going. That kind of thing. With Imagination being the one true outlier.

Unfortunately, "where we've been and where we're going" has been turned into "what happened?! And how did we get here?!"

Watching what was once a glorious and cutting edge park (for many reasons) end up in what could only be referred to as a death spiral is saddening.

I don't know that the original EPCOT Center would still be a viable draw today, but whenever I think that I end up asking myself the same question: how much would folks who visit Disneyland like to see the WEDway People Mover back?

Mess with classic attractions at your own peril. No matter how popular.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

I don't know if it was here or somewhere else that I heard a good idea and selling point for returning to the original pavilion logos. In today's iPhone-ridden world, they look like app icons. There could be some extreme levels of interactivity explored there.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Ah, now see, you're the perfect person to ask.

WEDway People Mover, Rocket Rods, or what you've got now?

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Zipadeedooda View Post
    Honestly, I don't understand why Disney even wants this land. I don't see it attracting any new visitors. I mean I know this movie made the most money ever, but that's mainly because of inflation and IMAX/3D prices. It was not a very good film, and already many people have forgotten about it. It's not going to be a long lasting franchise like Marvel, Star Wars, or Harry Potter.
    Not only was the film not very good, but it was too preachy. OK, we get it. You hate George Bush.

I've always said that, if they were going to take an outside franchise and incorporate it into their parks, then it belongs as a single attraction over at DHS.

Yes, there are fans out there. And yes, if you enjoyed the movie you can probably watch it again and again. But honestly... don't tell me you wouldn't get those uncomfortable chills if you ran into someone at a Halloween party dressed in an Avatar costume this year. It's already dated and would be out of place. Too late to be current, too soon to be nostalgic. It would be just... weird.
    MartianCrab likes this.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I've always said that, if they were going to take an outside franchise and incorporate it into their parks, then it belongs as a single attraction over at DHS.
    I disagree with that. I think Star Wars land would be great. So would an Oz or even an Middle Earth

I just think the choice here, Pandora, is the wrong one
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

I think if I were the right project... It could sustain as a land... But though Star Wars was and is a huge franchise... Sustaining multiple E-ticket attractions would be difficult... Star Tours and maybe a restaurant could be successful... Lord of the Rings...? Maybe... It is popular enough... But Disney had the opportunity to be the distributors and producers of the films and blew it off... Don't see Peter Jackson all of a sudden begging Disney for a land...
    Last edited by JNota0005DakMC; 09-22-2012 at 05:50 PM.
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

begging no

cashing thier checks, you bet
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

heres something we posted on avatar and pandas

Bwana Blog!
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM