Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss John Lasseter visits Epcot in the News & Rumors forums; And when was the last time any of those were updated? Also, when was the last attraction Disney put into the parks (stateside) that wasn't based on a pre-existing franchise? ...
    StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: John Lasseter visits Epcot

And when was the last time any of those were updated?

Also, when was the last attraction Disney put into the parks (stateside) that wasn't based on a pre-existing franchise? And what rumored attractions have you heard of that weren't as well?

Disney isn't in the mood to take a gamble on an unknown quantity these days. So faced with the option of bringing back a character that's been dead longer than the people who remember him children have been alive and the hottest property on the Disney Channel right now, which do you think the suits looking at the bottom line will favor?

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I was a very young adult with figment, didn't know of a Figment, embraced him. Figgy is a staple of my generation at Epcot.

You can bring in any popular Disney Channel kiddy character and the young will likely embrace and likely the middle/senior generations will bulk with the ousting of Figgy. It is a cra*-shoot. One thing that is constant intergenerationally is the pavilion is an embarrassing to Disney as it currently stands. Yet Disney by choice elects to leave it that way. Interesting.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Bringing in P&F is a far better than a cra*-shoot.
    It's the most transcendent original animated series they've ever had.
    It's got over 100 episodes in the can with no sign of stopping. Parents love it. Kids love it. Big kids. Little kids. Girls. Most importantly boys. And it sells boatloads of merchandise.

Disney has already taken Figment out once, and I don't think it hurt them too badly. I'm not sure they would completely remove him from the park again,seeing how he's Epcot's second highest selling plush behind Mickey. But I really can't see them passing up the opportunity to get more mainstream characters in there.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

And when was the last time any of those were updated?
    Mission: Space came in in 2003.

Spaceship Earth was refurbed in 2007.

Test Track in 2012.

Also, when was the last attraction Disney put into the parks (stateside) that wasn't based on a pre-existing franchise?
    Expedition Everest in 2006.

And what rumored attractions have you heard of that weren't as well?
    Outside of regular amusement parks, when do you ever see entirely fresh attractions come in?! It's a theme park operation that was originally built by Walt for the purpose OF promoting his brand!

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Mission: Space came in in 2003.

Spaceship Earth was refurbed in 2007.

Test Track in 2012.

Expedition Everest in 2006.

Outside of regular amusement parks, when do you ever see entirely fresh attractions come in?! It's a theme park operation that was originally built by Walt for the purpose OF promoting his brand!
    So the last time we had a major refurb of an attraction that didn't rebrand it to tie in to a franchise was 2007 (the most iconic ride in Epcot), the last original attraction was 2006. 6-7 years ago.

Because make no mistake about it, the test track refurb was given a Tron overlay. Everyone who rides it knows that. The only thing that stopped them from calling a duck a duck was GM threatening to not fund the pavilion if it didn't showcase their product (why should they). So the imagineers tossed in a "design element" to appease GM.

When Walt built Disneyland of course he had Fantasyland and the treehouse, but the most iconic attractions he did were original stories.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Which begs the question: so what?!

I'll have to take your backroom expertise on the Test Track deal as gospel.

But, tell me this. There are two major theme park companies in central Florida right now. Is the other building attractions not based upon their existing franchises?

You must have forgotten what we were originally talking about.

Let me remind you.

John Lasseter was in the Imagination Pavilion. People became excited. Someone was hoping to see another refurb of Journey bringing back the Dreamfinder.

I pointed out that based off of what I've heard, Disney would pull it all together to put in a Phineas and Ferb attraction because at this point in time the company is really only interested in using characters they know will work. Rather than taking a 4th swing at Figment and his creator the Dreamfinder.

I don't really care to argue with a wall about this anymore. So let's move on from here, and in the future whichever one of us is wrong can just slap ourselves in the head.
    i-neighborhood likes this.

If you're going to make a point in two different posts concerning attractions and established franchises, I don't understand why you can't finish out the train of thought.

But, since you can't, or wont, I'll go ahead and answer the question I posed to you: No, they're not. Matter of fact, they're all in on their biggest franchise.

As for Figment not working...I guess that's why they hastily threw a lot of money at imagineering all those years ago to bring him back two years after they removed him from the attraction. You're obviously too young to remember, but the furor over Journey Into Your Imagination was huge and heated. And this pre-dated the wealth of Disney message boards and blogs that you have now.

Right, I'm obviously too young.

They threw a tin of money to bring back Figment, and people hate the attraction worse than they did when they pulled the plug. And again, I'm not saying the problem is Figment. It's the attraction.

I won't answer your question because it has nothing to do with anything. They've never created a story for an attraction. It's a "movie park". And it's a loaded question.

No, it's not a loaded question. It just shows the ridiculous nature of your assertion.

And if you're saying that people hate the current Imagination more than the second, you're so far over the moon there's no hope in bringing you back.

Figment and Dreamfinder were incredibly popular characters. The reason Disney scraped together so much money two years after they spent a bundle to change the original ride was because the furor over the removal of Figment and Dreamfinder was ceaseless. Are people happy with the current version of it? Well, not when compared to the original. But compared to the second one? You'd better believe it. It's not even a fair fight.

You know what, you're right. Haha. It's kind of hard to remember how much everyone hated the second one when everyone is so discontent with the present version. I was pretty off base with that one.

However, if you can't see how there is a difference in Disney, a company that has created original attractions and Universal, a company that is solely in the business of creating attractions based off of movies then I don't have time to explain it to you.

You started your argument by saying Disney wasn't focusing on pre-existing franchises, and when that argument was dispelled it morphed into some cloudy mixture of "so what?" and "but, they're doing it too!" Stick to one argument, and if you lose stay down.

I didn't lose. I gave you several examples. You chose to dismiss them. So I started trying to kick the ball through the newly relocated goal posts.

I will say that integrating Phineas and Ferb into a new Imagination pavilion would likely work quite well. For all the reasons you gave earlier.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by StewbotTalborg View Post
    Bringing in P&F is a far better than a cra*-shoot.
    It's the most transcendent original animated series they've ever had.
    It's got over 100 episodes in the can with no sign of stopping. Parents love it. Kids love it. Big kids. Little kids. Girls. Most importantly boys. And it sells boatloads of merchandise.

Disney has already taken Figment out once, and I don't think it hurt them too badly. I'm not sure they would completely remove him from the park again,seeing how he's Epcot's second highest selling plush behind Mickey. But I really can't see them passing up the opportunity to get more mainstream characters in there.
    Figment was pure imagination and he's beloved by many. P&F would likely work in the pavilion, but IMO it would be more dumbing down of Future World and turning FW into a spin off of DHS. I liked Nemo but hate Nemo in the Seas.
    I don't dislike P&F but as an adult, can't say P&F pavilion would excite me, but if it is done well, any improvement is better than the malfunctioning and disfunctional attraction it is now, Disney has gutted the majority of the whole pavilion and is only a small snap shot of its former glory. That is why guests hate it and Disney has been comfy with leaving it that way. Go Figure.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Figment was pure imagination and he's beloved by many. P&F would likely work in the pavilion, but IMO it would be more dumbing down of Future World and turning FW into a spin off of DHS. I liked Nemo but hate Nemo in the Seas.
    I don't dislike P&F but as an adult, can't say P&F pavilion would excite me, but if it is done well, any improvement is better than the malfunctioning and disfunctional attraction it is now, Disney has gutted the majority of the whole pavilion and is only a small snap shot of its former glory. That is why guests hate it and Disney has been comfy with leaving it that way. Go Figure.
    I completely agree. I feel like Epcot shouldn't be tied into a bunch of franchises (save for three cabelleros), take all that stuff to DHS. Which is why I feel it's so unfortunate that Disney is always looking for someplace they can muscle in characters, whether its appropriate or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast