Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss And now a Facelift for DTD is the latest rumor in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad I hope Morimoto's is better than Wolfgang Puck's. I know Wolfgang's is a popular place but I wasn't impressed. I hope Morimoto's is better than Puck's ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: And now a Facelift for DTD is the latest rumor

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    I hope Morimoto's is better than Wolfgang Puck's. I know Wolfgang's is a popular place but I wasn't impressed.
    I hope Morimoto's is better than Puck's also, not a fan of his creations on Disney Property nor Cat Cora's, her menu is just a little to trendy for my tastes anyhow. Morimoto has been more about creating very favorful food instead interesting concoctions so I can dream anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I still don't get the need to update DTD, unless they're still trying to figure out how to compete with City Walk. Church Street used to be the place for locals and City Walk was for tourists. Now it seems that locals are going to City Walk and Church Street is a thing of the past. Pleasure Island had it's time, but it was more for a younger crowd. Me, I never liked Pleasure Island. So I always viewed DTD as a place to shop, not hang out. Even today, I rarely find myself walking up to, much less through Pleasure Island to the very end. Nothing to do down there, especially since Virgin is gone, and the "Disney" themeing stops before the bridge to Fulton's. Actually, most times I don't walk past the Lego Store. At least now the displays are Disney-based and not random depictions.

Overall, whenever I'm there, DTD is fairly packed, and often the lots are closed due to capacity. If you're going to try to bring in MORE people, they'll need to fix the parking problem.
    I remember Church Street, days gone bye. I think you hit the nail. Disney has never even settled on a name let alone what DTD is suppose to be. The plans I've seen have 2 parking garages and one of those with a fly over ramp, can't wait to see what that actually looks like IF they go through with the latest development, with Disney that is always a big IF. My son in a heartbeat will go to City Walk over DTD for an evening and he will go to their version of Halloween over Disney's. Young people have very different tastes.

You are right, there really isn't lots to do in DTD especially since Disney went with the Disney Parks generic merchandise.Ice cream cone, browsing, something to get you out of your room when the parks are closed. DTD is crowded in the evenings and on Weekend/Holidays but most of the year if you go during the day it is pretty darn empty and starts to fill as the parks near closing especially in shorter park hour times. At best it is packed a few hours in the evening till the stores close, then it resembles Epcot after Illumination, mass exit.

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    Disney can never really challenge CityWalk because the of the image... I know that Pleasure Island was their version of it but as it became a problem Disney dealt with it (maybe in not the right way... Closing it didn't seem to solve a problem but more like move a problem elsewhere) I think if Disney were really catering to their crowd I think the opening of Spiltsville was actually a start... Family friendly nighttime entertainment
    Disney did just shift the problem. CityWalk is successful largely because of its location, sitting so close to the Parks, unlike DTD, they have high guest count both during the day, night making restaurants crowded both day and night, it is a good set up for maximum profits. Superior Planning on their part, no need claim car or use additional transportation. CityWalk always knew what direction it wanted to go and what it wanted to be, Universal had a vision, unlike Disney for DTD, they keep trying to reinvent it and rename it.

DTD is hard to reach from many of the resorts, parking inadequate for decades on the shopping side. While DTD is crowded for a few hours a large percentage of guests help Disney roll up the carpet at 11-11:30 most days of the year. If guests are coming after the parks close, by the time they use 2 types of transportation to get to DTD, the peak hours are very short and few will leave the parks during the day, eat at a DTD restaurant and go back to the park like what happens at CityWalk. This leaves a great deal of pressure on the Boardwalk for Disney Guests who are night owls. Boardwalk too has its issues and parking is difficult at best and most guests using Disney transportation need to transfer to a second bus to reach Boardwalk from their resorts. Going back to our resort at night we often take a Taxi because waiting for 2 sets of buses is a pain late at night.

Splitsville is a venue that could start the change both by day and evening appeal. Originally DisneyQuest did that but quickly lost interest of guests though it is a big hit with Brazilian Tour Groups.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    The main restaurant, or Express?

Express is one of the hidden gems of all of WDW, IMO. We try to eat there at least once every trip.
    It was Wolfgang Puck Cafe. I had the Chinese spare ribs and they were horrible. I think they were supposed to have been braised but they had the consistency of being boiled. The Asian slaw wasn't very good either and I like sweet and sour slaws. My wife had the pizza and it was good. I'm willing to give Express a shot.
    Last edited by ohiodisneydad; 03-04-2013 at 04:36 PM.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

The only time we ever ate at the main restaurant we had pizza, which was very good. Our company had other entree's that they weren't that impressed with.

I've yet to have anything at Express that wasn't top notch. I definitely encourage you to give it a try. When we went down there in December, that's the place we ate at shortly after checking into our hotel. By design. Best eats at DD by far, IMO. And just off the top of my head I'd say top three in counter service locations on property. Though, I'd really have to consider where it finally lands in said top three.
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 03-04-2013 at 04:53 PM.

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'm not much of a DTD enthusiast, but seriously...

What about the disgrace known as Future World and all of the other issues in the parks? Why have more expansion/re-theming when there is so much work needed on current attractions? Disney's priorities are insanely out of whack.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Unfortunately, the sponsors of the Future World pavilions are the ones who have the most say in their attraction getting refurbed. It's not really Disney's decision to make unless they take over the pavilion as they did The Living Seas many years ago.

Disney has full control over DD.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Agreed, Mo. Unfortunately for us WDW fans, in today's economy most companies don't see the importance of throwing money into refurbing sponsored attractions. Maybe it's time Disney finds new sponsors.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Exactly.

Another wrinkle also being that with Future World being in the shape it is, it might be much harder to sell a prospective sponsor into buying in.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Unfortunately, the sponsors of the Future World pavilions are the ones who have the most say in their attraction getting refurbed. It's not really Disney's decision to make unless they take over the pavilion as they did The Living Seas many years ago.

Disney has full control over DD.
    I feel like if Disney did retake control over a pavilion and re-theme it and add new attraction (WoL anyone?) this might make the Future World land more marketable to new sponsors coming in... I think sponsors avoid it because they do not see the return... Maybe of the land shows spikes in attendance, then it would pique interest again...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

I feel like if Disney did retake control over a pavilion and re-theme it and add new attraction (WoL anyone?) this might make the Future World land more marketable to new sponsors coming in... I think sponsors avoid it because they do not see the return... Maybe of the land shows spikes in attendance, then it would pique interest again...
    Disney's indifference to the state of Future World Pavilions demonstrates the New Disney's lack Pride on their part. Disney is comfortable with just collecting admission and doing little to nothing to bring Future World into the 21st Century. Opening pavilions just for Wine or a Flower Shop, Soarin with failing picture quality, Imagination in disrepair.

The era of Sponsors being the main source of funding is gone and Disney is unwilling to accept that or take responsibility for their own Theme Park. The days of ever evolving and changing has been gone from FW for a long time. TT is a start, that attraction at least had good bones to work with. Disney needs to address the other pavilions, no sponsor obviously is knocking down Disney's doors to invest large dollar amounts. If Disney isn't concerned with Future World why would a sponsor? Disney has nobody to blame but themselves.

It is beyond the time frame for Disney to step up to the plate, take ownership of their own Theme Park and bring Future World into the 21st Century. Still Disney hasn't woken up and realized the dollars have dried up from sponsors and they need to commit large dollar amounts back into Epcot, concept lost on Disney.

Disney's version of 21st century FW, WoL Pavilion:

Ohhh Ahhh
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 03-06-2013 at 01:05 PM.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Possibly. But, if The Seas is any indication, I wouldn't bank on it. They've done alright in certain regards there, but the abysmal shape they've allowed the tank to get into simply isn't good show.

If we are to wonder why there is such indecision in DTD or the state of FW, Epcot, this gem that came out of Iger's mouth should clarify the total lack of leadership from the top.

Over the years one of the biggest criticisms Disney has heard is poor coffee in the parks. Starbucks is their answer to fix it!

Yeah, NesCafe is sucidoodles, but poor coffee in the parks is one of the biggest problems in the parks? Time for him to go.

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Gabe said it best:

The era of Sponsors being the main source of funding is gone and Disney is unwilling to accept that or take responsibility for their own Theme Park. The days of ever evolving and changing has been gone from FW for a long time. TT is a start, that attraction at least had good bones to work with. Disney needs to address the other pavilions, no sponsor obviously is knocking down Disney's doors to invest large dollar amounts. If Disney isn't concerned with Future World why would a sponsor? Disney has nobody to blame but themselves.
    I think the era of sponsorships is definitely ending, or becoming less common. We've seen The Land, Imagination, and Universe of Energy all lose sponsors in recent years, and they've never signed any new ones up. I expect HP will bail on M:S when their contract is up; look at the shape HP is in and that the attraction doesn't get that much traffic.

Imagination and UoE both need work, and the ball is in Disney's court on those. No sponsors. The attractions with sponsors (Siemens for SSE, Chevrolet for TT) stay pretty up to date and do well.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

Disney is set to make a formal announcement today, March 12, 2013 with details about its make-over plans of the entire DownTown Disney District.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Disney is set to make a formal announcement today, March 12, 2013 with details about its make-over plans of the entire DownTown Disney District.

And now this Announcement is in Limbo for today reportedly because of weather in Florida so we shall see.
    It is also being said that the Announcement will still be released today to Disney Cast.

The media event that was scheduled for today was canceled today however Disney did speak privately with Cast Members.
    The media event rescheduled date is not immediately known. The cast members are saying DTD will be named Disney Springs, themed like Florida of yesteryear. Disney will be adding water ways, water features and plenty of shade like the original Downtown District once had before it was removed.

It was confirmed that two new parking garages will come to Disney Springs one one the West Side and one in the now shopping area of DTD and for the most part the existing parking will morph into expanding the Disney Springs footprint.

There are many new stores and restaurants planned for this area however no brand names were shared, just the establishments will mostly be new to this area of Florida. Disney did confirm the rumor that Captain Jacks is not part of the Disney Springs plans and will close however they will reassign the CM's to other establishments.

Disney plans on building a bridge/walkway from approximately the Rainforest to TRex. And last but not least,
    The mega World of Disney Box Store will be expanded.

Up next this afternoon Iger speaking on CNBC.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast