Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HauntedGabe
  • 1 Post By HauntedGabe
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Monorails? in the News & Rumors forums; I've been hearing lately that the monorail service in the evenings has not been operating or has been a bit iffy. Anyone have any info on this? I would hate ...
    Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder

Monorails?

I've been hearing lately that the monorail service in the evenings has not been operating or has been a bit iffy. Anyone have any info on this?

I would hate to think that this is true since we have a week at the Poly reserved for November and being on the monorail loop was the main reason we wanted to stay there.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Monorails?

They were running just fine in late December.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    They were running just fine in late December.
    Well, maybe whatever "issue" they were having has been resolved.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Yeah, they have been having problems this month, sometimes guests hanging up there for an hour or more in the evening while Disney does switching. Some are awarded a FP for their hour lost going into the MK though.

Take the ferry if possible from late afternoon to evening if possible.

Been a while, how have ya been?
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Have they actually been giving FPs out for getting stuck at WDW? Been stuck a number of times and lever gotten even an apology...

At DL recently one of the tires fell off, and I know everyone there got a FP.

It shouldn't take an hour for them to switch a trainset in/out in normal ops - however, if one of the trainsets becomes inoperable and they need to send out the rescue engine, they'd need to switch out the working trainsets until the engine could get to the disabled one and that takes time. The drawbacks of a rail system without easy and convenient switching/bypass.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Yeah, they have been having problems this month, sometimes guests hanging up there for an hour or more in the evening while Disney does switching. Some are awarded a FP for their hour lost going into the MK though.

Take the ferry if possible from late afternoon to evening if possible.

Been a while, how have ya been?
    I've been good. Thanks for asking.

Hopefully whatever is going on with the monorails isn't a permanent thing. Is it more towards closing time that you've noticed the big delays? Like after Wishes or something like that?

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I'd love to see documention of people being stuck on the monorail for an hour while they switched trains over. Not the fevered delusions of those who have no real sense of time.

I've been on the monorail several times when there was a switch, and it was never anything close to an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I'd love to see documention of people being stuck on the monorail for an hour while they switched trains over. Not the fevered delusions of those who have no real sense of time.

I've been on the monorail several times when there was a switch, and it was never anything close to an hour.
    Maybe they're having some type of budget cut for the monorail? Or maybe something else is going on? All I know is I wish I could find out for sure what's going on with the monorail service. It could sway my decision in changing our reservation to another resort and saving a few $$'s in the process if the service is not running up to par.

Well I just found this from a while back. Never realized the monorail system was in such bad shape.

The Monorails Must Roll | The Disney Blog

Well I just found this from a while back. Never realized the monorail system was in such bad shape.

The Monorails Must Roll | The Disney Blog

Our memeber here I-Neighborhood, somewhat a local, has gotten stuck on it twice now this year and the hour messed up his plans. Sometimes the monorail is OK and other times its like this on February 16th when they bused the guests:

The monorail and ferry to the Magic Kingdom are both down. Buses only. Joy...

i-neighborhood likes this.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Have they actually been giving FPs out for getting stuck at WDW? Been stuck a number of times and lever gotten even an apology...

At DL recently one of the tires fell off, and I know everyone there got a FP.

It shouldn't take an hour for them to switch a trainset in/out in normal ops - however, if one of the trainsets becomes inoperable and they need to send out the rescue engine, they'd need to switch out the working trainsets until the engine could get to the disabled one and that takes time. The drawbacks of a rail system without easy and convenient switching/bypass.
    It depends on your approach, if you follow it up or just go on your merry 'ole way. A few years back they did better than a FP when the guests were stuck up there for 3 hours and a guest called 911. If that happened more often maybe the PR would shame them into fixing the 'ole monorail.
    i-neighborhood likes this.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

We had a similar problem in Dec. 2010, so it's not uncommon. I had my father in law in an ECV, and there is no handicapped parking at the park itself. The rest of the family took the bus straight there. Foolishly, I had all the tickets...

It was too cold/windy to run the ferries. We were in line for the monorail, with only the resort line "running", halfway up the ramp. After a while, a monorail finally pulls up, then sits there a long time. Then it finally pulls away...slowly. And there isn't another one behind it. Then someone comes up the ramp, now full of people all the way down and out into the courtyard, and tells everyone to turn around and go over to the bus area as they monorail wasn't running.

Of course, with FiL in the ECV, a LOT of people ran around us to get into the bus lines. Fortunately, a manager pulled us out of line and put us in line for the second bus (there was an ECV ahead of us). Except - no buses. Well, really, there were two in the parking lot, with the drivers standing there chatting. But they weren't being directed to pick up the route. So we still waited.

In all, it was well over an hour before we got to the park, with the rest of the family waiting outside for me to arrive, missing EMH entirely. We got nothing.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

I think for Disney they don't voluntarily give out anything for guests waiting, but when people begin complaining to the right CMs they eve thusly get somewhere... Like what was said about calling 911... When PD shows up because someone was worried about safety on lines like that I bet Disney felt hey had to do something...

i-neighborhood Guest

I go every month to WDW and it has happened to us twice but more recently we've experienced smooth sailing, but that doesn't mean someone else hasn't been caught up.

Sometimes I wonder if its actually a switch or more a crowd control effort into the MK gates because it can get pretty crowded, plus I know they're doing the K9 checks at times on people coming off the line.

Someone said, I don't recall if it was on this site, that the line near the Floridian needed refurbished.

At closing things run flawless except one night no monorail service was leaving MK for either line period and we waited on the boat for close to 45 minutes, so what I figure was to pack every last straggler on to the boat.