Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Illuminations leaving.....??? in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by Mo Noyz I'm not so sure that's a fair comparison. Although, look what happened... Seen Spectro lately? I don't know if I prefer one over the other. ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Illuminations leaving.....???

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I'm not so sure that's a fair comparison.

Although, look what happened...

Seen Spectro lately?
    I don't know if I prefer one over the other. But there are two Disney camps, where some people do prefer one over the other. Both have a distinctive soundtrack, and MSEP's is more iconic. But they took a show that everyone knew and loved and replaced it with something similar, but set to a whole new musical score.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    There was a thought of it being replaced a few years, usually every time the actors union begins negotiating new contracts... I dont think they would replace it just yet... I agree they can make changes right after refurbs, but in many cases those are done because of a backlash over the update (JiI anyone...?) or a decrease in popularity... In this case, because of the tour guides suggestions about lining up 2 hours early, and the increase to every night a few years back I would think that Fantasmic is just as popular now as when it opened, if not a bit more...
    They had a pretty long rehab the last time but a good chunk of the stuff was still broken. This year they have had so many problems launching the beginning of the show that sometimes it is cancelled just before they let those 2 hour waiting guests into the theater area. It doesn't necessarily need to go but it certainly needs a major rehab. It is still wildly popular but I'm not sure if it is because it is that good or the fact there is so little to do at DHS now, by night, you've done all there is to do. I could say the same things about Indiana, wildly popular or you've gotta do something and likely it isn't going to be Idol.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I don't know if I prefer one over the other. But there are two Disney camps, where some people do prefer one over the other. Both have a distinctive soundtrack, and MSEP's is more iconic. But they took a show that everyone knew and loved and replaced it with something similar, but set to a whole new musical score.
    And again, when was the last time you heard from Spectromagic?

Either way, comparing MSEP to Illuminations isn't even close, IMO.

Depends on which park Spectromagic is running. For a while, MSEP was making the rounds and we were stuck with Spectro. They can only run one night time parade at a time.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Spectro isn't running in any park. Nor has it for nearly three years.

rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak

as for viewing areas for Illuminations... maybe if all of the best spots were not reserved for special parties, there would be more public viewing spots.

i mean... it's great that you can reserve a spot for an illuminations dessert party... but ALL of the best spots are roped off every single time i am there. if they could just cut half of the spots they reserve.... but... they won't do that because people pay a lot of extra money for that stuff. i almost did one for my wedding there.
    Disney Trips
    May 1994- WDW (off property)
    May 1997- WDW (off property)
    March 2001- WDW (off property)
    May 2006- Disneyland (off property)
    September 2010- WDW (POFQ)
    October 2012 - Wedding and Honeymoon! - WDW (POR)

The best spots are around the Canada and UK pavilions. And those are never roped off.

That little riverwalk down the path from the fish and chips place is the closest you can get to the action.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

FYI, remember the area between Canada and UK that that lyes between the two tree clumps is the current roped off area for guests with disabilities. Depending on the time of the year, generally CMs allow a total party of 6 into the roped off area including the special needs guest.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Spectro isn't running in any park. Nor has it for nearly three years.
    I meant which park around the world. They didn't put MSEP into mothballs. They moved it to the other coast, and then half way across the world.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    FYI, remember the area between Canada and UK that that lyes between the two tree clumps is the current roped off area for guests with disabilities. Depending on the time of the year, generally CMs allow a total party of 6 into the roped off area including the special needs guest.
    Wasn't when we were there last year.

Watched the show from that exact spot the first time. Then down that small riverwalk the second time.

FYI...

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I meant which park around the world. They didn't put MSEP into mothballs. They moved it to the other coast, and then half way across the world.
    Right.

My point being look what happened when they tried to replace something as iconic as the MSEP. Something that, IMO, isn't anywhere near as iconic as Illuminations.

Illuminations and Wishes are two shows we will likely never see full-blown replacements for.
    Donny likes this.

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder

The best spots are around the Canada and UK pavilions. And those are never roped off.

That little riverwalk down the path from the fish and chips place is the closest you can get to the action.
    Funny you say that. The past two times I've taken my dance team that's exactly where we have our viewing party.
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

It's simply an amazing spot, isn't it?

Right.

My point being look what happened when they tried to replace something as iconic as the MSEP. Something that, IMO, isn't anywhere near as iconic as Illuminations.

Illuminations and Wishes are two shows we will likely never see full-blown replacements for.
    Wishes can have a replacement. It's just a matter of a catchy song. Otherwise, it's a standard fireworks show.

As for Spectromagic, I listened to part of the soundtrack yesterday when it played on Live365. The fake Genie voice talking about music, plus Goofy... I had to turn the d@mn thing off. Horrible. Probably my least favorite float in that parade.

Other than the globe, Illuminations could also be considered as a standard fireworks show with a catchy tune.

I was never a fan of Spectro, though. Not sure if I just missed the parade I grew up with (not to mention the only parade I've ever liked), or if it just wasn't that good. The fact that it's been in mothballs for nearly three years pushes me towards the latter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast