Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year? in the News & Rumors forums; Building a fascade along the walkway over to World Showcase is exactly what popped into my mind the first time. Remove some of the little carts and the DVC stand ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year?

Building a fascade along the walkway over to World Showcase is exactly what popped into my mind the first time. Remove some of the little carts and the DVC stand and create something to look at. Plus, it'll cap off nicely with the tree on the lagoon side.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I wonder if Disney has made a firm decision yet. I heard another rumor that a section of AK is/was considered as Disney has been trying to develop a night time draw with night vision for the Safari. Many of buildings would lend themselves nicely to Christmas decorations and pump some more traffic through AK. Likely the music would need to be altered. If I am remembering correctly Osborne music was a little more tame when the lights were set up on the residential street parcel.

That is the only trip my DH carried the clunky video recorder, I should find it and look at it.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Adding evening-based attractions to AK would increase Disney's operating costs. That park closes at dusk, primarily due in part to animal activity. However, that majority of the attractions are not based on live animals. Just the ones over in Africa (plus that silly monkey exhibit). Otherwise, maybe it's too dark in its current state to keep the park open safely?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Their excuse has always been that nighttime activity disrupts the animals during their typical sleep times, although most people believe it is really just that they can't justify having the park open that late given lack of traffic, considering one of the two biggest draws doesn't operate after dusk (Safari).

Yet, despite their excuse, they did bring back night EMH for a time.

So putting Osborne there would increase their costs by forcing them to increase the hours (would need at least 2-3 post-dark hours). But it could potentially increase traffic to the park tremendously for the holidays. Especially if they could add other holiday-related items other than just adding decorations to the parade...

They've got a little over a year to figure it out...
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Prince Charming is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Yeah they could, and yes it is my favorite part of Disney Christmas by far. But it is expensive, it takes months to install and it needs an area that will hold a huge amount of guests. Sunset is already too congested and they need something to decorate. What else is there left that is conducive to Christmas Osborne Lighting? Hollywood Blvd is the last place left if that area goes. I can't imagine Hollywood Blvd being packed with electricians hanging the electrical props from late September until November.
    The size and layout of Streets of America really fits that display well. I think if you moved the lights only to a larger area of the park, or even another park, that it would lose that "walking through the neighborhood" feel that the Imagineers/Osborne have created since its inception. For this to work, I think you need to keep or recreate similar residential type structures. I agree with the time and expense aspect, but the guests love it so I think they find a way to keep it around.

Welcome to the Magic Kingdom!

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

I think if they were to remove Osborne from DHS they could add multiple holiday celebrations to that park that would only take a fraction of the time to set up as Osborne and all it's intricacies.

Add a legit Halloween experience like Nightmare Before Christmas that could carry over to an easy set up for a Christmas celebration.

Even if you didn't want to do that, there are plenty of good options for that park with all the great holiday themed films. I feel like they're leaving a lot on the table.
    cindymouse6 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Their excuse has always been that nighttime activity disrupts the animals during their typical sleep times, although most people believe it is really just that they can't justify having the park open that late given lack of traffic, considering one of the two biggest draws doesn't operate after dusk (Safari).

Yet, despite their excuse, they did bring back night EMH for a time.

So putting Osborne there would increase their costs by forcing them to increase the hours (would need at least 2-3 post-dark hours). But it could potentially increase traffic to the park tremendously for the holidays. Especially if they could add other holiday-related items other than just adding decorations to the parade...

They've got a little over a year to figure it out...

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Adding evening-based attractions to AK would increase Disney's operating costs. That park closes at dusk, primarily due in part to animal activity. However, that majority of the attractions are not based on live animals. Just the ones over in Africa (plus that silly monkey exhibit). Otherwise, maybe it's too dark in its current state to keep the park open safely?
    Me, I don't buy into the animals being disturbed. Heck many of them are nocturnal anyhow and that is why Disney was exploring a completely different safari experience for the night time, they wouldn't have to build a new attraction and guests could ride from open to close.

At both of Chicagoland Zoo's they have big holiday events for the season. Both Zoo's hold evening events with bands for wedding receptions and the critters are fine. My opinion is I could see AK being easier to decorate with the current lights for Osborne over Epcot. But Disney could piecemeal Osborne lights the same way they now piecemeal the Flower and Garden show. It use to be mainly in Future World, now it is all over the place, so they could do that to Osborne but I think is would loose it's impact as a show that way or even a solid draw.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Charming View Post
    The size and layout of Streets of America really fits that display well. I think if you moved the lights only to a larger area of the park, or even another park, that it would lose that "walking through the neighborhood" feel that the Imagineers/Osborne have created since its inception. For this to work, I think you need to keep or recreate similar residential type structures. I agree with the time and expense aspect, but the guests love it so I think they find a way to keep it around.
    Some guests really liked SpectroMagic Parade too and it is in a dumpster, so I'd never say they would keep anything because the guests liked it. Osborne is an eye sore of sorts when they are building it up. They start months in advance. Streets of America worked because the foot traffic there was small, more of a cut through area to get to attractions. Since they sliced and diced the Backlot Tour that whole area lacked continuity so prep for Osborne in the Fall really didn't interrupt anything else.

Osborne being my favorite part of Christmas at Disney, I hope they find a way to save it. I would hope they don't chop it up and have pieces here and there. I like the idea of AK as it has many buildings in clumps that could keep some of continuity for a show presentation. Think it would be a special event for AK and a novelty of night time hours there. I've been fortunate enough to go to EMHs at AK a couple of times and Everest is fun at night with its special effect lighting. The paths have that low ambiance lighting similar to late hours of Epcot WS.
    Epcot already has a couple of Christmas draws.

I wonder if WDW would have two Christmas parties though, Nightmare is a great idea for DHS but I don't know if it would work to have two hard ticket parties during the same time period, plus Candlelight at Epcot. I think two parties would raise their expenses and lower the profits of both parties.

As I said earlier, when I first heard about this possibly being the last year for Osborne at DHS, they appeared to be putting on there imagineering hats and thinking up something different for DHS in the future. But if all this construction is going to happen at the studios, I wouldn't blame Disney for putting off a Holiday anything until the park comes back together or doing something on a smaller scale.

My Christmas wish is that with all the construction that may happen and Osborne possibly departing, the Dang Hat just goes away.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

All Florida theme parks featuring animals close at dusk or shortly afterwards. Always have.

I'm not sure if there is some kind of state regulation mandating it, but it's not as though AK is breaking some kind of new ground people.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Me, I don't buy into the animals being disturbed. Heck many of them are nocturnal anyhow and that is why Disney was exploring a completely different safari experience for the night time, they wouldn't have to build a new attraction and guests could ride from open to close.

At both of Chicagoland Zoo's they have big holiday events for the season. Both Zoo's hold evening events with bands for wedding receptions and the critters are fine. My opinion is I could see AK being easier to decorate with the current lights for Osborne over Epcot. But Disney could piecemeal Osborne lights the same way they now piecemeal the Flower and Garden show. It use to be mainly in Future World, now it is all over the place, so they could do that to Osborne but I think is would loose it's impact as a show that way or even a solid draw.
    I'm not sure if there's enough of a main drag at AK to cohesively include the Osborne Lights. I'd think more along the DHS's Main Street light might serve better. But then, the buildings are only two stories tall. The fascades built along the back area of DHS can accomodate the massive displays easier, especially without actual windows or working entry ways.

Either way, I'm not in favor of NOT gutting an area that stands otherwise un-used for the better part of a year simply for the sake of puttin up Christmas lights for two months.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I'm not sure if there's enough of a main drag at AK to cohesively include the Osborne Lights. I'd think more along the DHS's Main Street light might serve better. But then, the buildings are only two stories tall. The fascades built along the back area of DHS can accomodate the massive displays easier, especially without actual windows or working entry ways.

Either way, I'm not in favor of NOT gutting an area that stands otherwise un-used for the better part of a year simply for the sake of puttin up Christmas lights for two months.
    I'd gut that whole end of DHS even if it does sacrifice my favorite part of Christmas at Disney. There are 3 areas of AK that have building clumps that I can think of off hand that would work well enough but it is going to be expensive no matter where they move it too, just setting it up for guests not to come in contact with it and a boatload of electricians. AK guests don't hang around on a whole for more than a few hours at that park so it would be the least disruptive.

Considering Disney has done EMH at AK at night, multiple times there doesn't appear to be any roadblocks in their way to try and draw guests there. But for all we know Osborne, with all of its expenses tied to it could share dumpter space with SpectroMagic. That would not surprise me either.

I usually only visit WDW in December, but there are times when I will go for Halloween instead, or if I can sneak in a random trip throughout the year (business, etc), then I will certainly take advantage. On my last trip over MLK weekend, I decided to walk back there to get a picture with Lightning McQueen and Mater because I knew my nephew would get a kick out of it. Otherwise, there is no reason to be there. Once you've seen Lights, Motors, Action, there is no reason to go back. The playground area is wasted space. I don't even know if they're still doing the backlot tour and if they are, they need to stop it. Now. That whole thing has fallen apart. Once you walk back there, you realize you're in the middle of no where and it's basically become a cut through between Star Tours and Toy Story.

And when the backlot opened that was one long tour, the walking tour then the tram tour, it took up a chunk of time, actually most of our time in the early years. We were there the year it opened and we were out in 4 hours.
    I did enjoy the backlot area and the working studio portion of the tour. Fond memories of the first time my preschooler DS was exposed to the blast of fire at Catastrophe Cannon and scrambling to not get wet. Fun times.

Now not the same, not even close.

Cardinals314 is offline A-Ticket holder

2014 looks like it will be the final year with the upcoming DHS construction

Yep, I will miss them. Yet am OK with it if they will fix DHS.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast