Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57
Like Tree18Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year? in the News & Rumors forums; There are some strong rumors going around about what imagineers have in store for DHS for a holiday celebration in come 2014 when the Osborne Lights are gone. If they ...
  1. #1
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,303

    Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year?

    There are some strong rumors going around about what imagineers have in store for DHS for a holiday celebration in come 2014 when the Osborne Lights are gone.

    If they are going to dump what is left of the backstage tour LMA and Catastrophe \Cannon along with the queue prop buildings that would be a chunk of land for a Pixar expansion.

    Removing Streets of America could make room for a Star Wars expansion given its location, possibly in lieu of Echo Lake, Drew and Idol buildings tossed around before. All the construction would be at the far end of the Studio's with the least amount of disruption to the park. It would give a major boost to DHS to have a Pixar and Star Wars expansion. Something for everyone.
    supernova likes this.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  2. #2
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,303

    Re: Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year?

    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 07-11-2013 at 01:41 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  3. #3
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year?

    Thread title reads: Is 2013 the final year?

    First paragraph ends with: 2014 when the Osborne Lights are gone.

    So, which is it?

  4. #4
    tiggerguy's Avatar
    tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    amongst the loonies
    Posts
    18,565

    Re: Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year?

    the way I read it, the lights finish in 2013. so the lights will be gone by the time 2014 comes around
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

  5. #5
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,388

    Re: Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year?

    While the lights are nice to look at, it's really the only draw to that part of the park. So if you're going to light it up for two months and then offer nothing but fake streets for the rest of the year, then it's time to tear it all down. Sure, families from Idaho who have never seen a real city will be drawn to the big city facades. But I'm all in favor of upgrading that park. Anything they can do to NOT make it a quarter day park would be appreciated.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

    Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  6. #6
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year?

    I'll kind of miss the lights, but completely agree, Mike. That's a huge chunk of park land essentially going to waste.

  7. #7
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year?

    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerguy View Post
    the way I read it, the lights finish in 2013. so the lights will be gone by the time 2014 comes around
    OK.

    The way she was wording everything was getting me a little confused.

  8. #8
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,303

    Re: Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year?

    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerguy View Post
    the way I read it, the lights finish in 2013. so the lights will be gone by the time 2014 comes around
    Yep, that is the rumor. We had a member here for several years that worked on Osborne and the Castle that returned to school to finish his degree in electrical engineering. When he spoke of the man hours of the more highly paid CM's I am surprised it lasted as long as it has. But I will miss them if they go. I liked the first version better than the second but I did enjoy them both, especially over our Christmas NewYears trips.


    Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    While the lights are nice to look at, it's really the only draw to that part of the park. So if you're going to light it up for two months and then offer nothing but fake streets for the rest of the year, then it's time to tear it all down. Sure, families from Idaho who have never seen a real city will be drawn to the big city facades. But I'm all in favor of upgrading that park. Anything they can do to NOT make it a quarter day park would be appreciated.
    My last trip I did Rock'n, Twilight, Muppets (I know), and StarTours and off to Epcot for Lunch, I'd say maybe a quarter of a day. I won't stand in line for an hour or two for Toy. I could do Sunset Blvd. actually and leave.

    That whole end of the park could go in a heartbeat, along with the wasted space of Drew Building and Idol theater. Beyond that the Mermaid can really go given what they have at new FLE and make use of the stunt building in the Back Lot Tour, the indoor demonstration building that originally followed the sinking ship, then they can flatten the working stage building while they are at it. Disney has their pick of prime spots to bring that park back without expanding the footprint.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  9. #9
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,388

    Re: Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I'll kind of miss the lights, but completely agree, Mike. That's a huge chunk of park land essentially going to waste.
    Remember... everyone was going to miss the Lights of Winter or whatever they called it over at Epcot. And now... eh.

    What do you call an area that is used for 1 1/2 months and then goes unvisited 10 1/2 months of the year? Wonders of Life.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

    Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  10. #10
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,388

    Re: Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year?

    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    My last trip I did Rock'n, Twilight, Muppets (I know), and StarTours and off to Epcot for Lunch, I'd say maybe a quarter of a day. I won't stand in line for an hour or two for Toy. I could do Sunset Blvd. actually and leave.

    That whole end of the park could go in a heartbeat, along with the wasted space of Drew Building and Idol theater. Beyond that the Mermaid can really go given what they have at new FLE and make use of the stunt building in the Back Lot Tour, the indoor demonstration building that originally followed the sinking ship, then they can flatten the working stage building while they are at it. Disney has their pick of prime spots to bring that park back without expanding the footprint.
    Since I don't do drops, I always skip RnR and Twilight. Until they upgrade Muppets, it'll remain a one-and-done for me. I visit Star Tours every time. I've NEVER done Idol (never watched a single episode... not into talent shows), and only did Sounds Dangerous once, and that was back (way back) when it first opened. I rode Toy Story Mania once, liked it, but not enough to wait it out. And since I always do four parks in one day and then spent the rest of my visit outside the parks, Fast Passes are gone by the time I get there. Do I care? Nope. So I stroll through the park, ride a ride or two, and leave. I've only sat through Beauty and the Beast once, and I'll do Mermaid once every four to five years. And I've never sat through Disney Jr. I do enjoy walking through what was once a really great animation area. Once every two years or so, I'll walk through the Walt Disney exhibit, and I finally sat through the video last year. But again now, one and done. I only did the animation drawing class once or twice. No big deal if I miss it. And the Jack Sparrow area has no appeal for me. I can't remember the last time I went on the Great Movie Ride (probably not since the 90s) and I might go on this year because my wife has never been and she likes the Wizard of Oz. Is it worth 30 minutes of my life for two scenes? Probably not, but with not much else left to do, eh, why not. I never got to see the Lights, Motors, Action stunt show, with or without McQueen, and I don't feel I've missed a thing. I rode the backstage tour when there was a Residential Street, and not again since. I did ride it in Disneyland Paris, just for nostalgia, and because it was narrated on video by Jeremy Irons. Indy was another one-and-done attraction.

    I hadn't been to Fantasmic in a while, so went two years ago when we took her two brothers to the parks. The four of us were nodding off. Way way WAY too long, slow, and repetative. And the nightmare bottleneck to get out of the theater, when for some reason they refuse to open up the other side exits out is enough to keep me FAR away from the show.

    So how can a park with so much to offer leave so little to do? The answer there is that what they have to offer isn't a big enough draw and the park has grown stale. Yes, they expanded to include Pixar Place. Which is a ride, a meet and greet, and what used to be a silly Luxo Lamp bouncing around, which I can't bring myself to call an audioanimatronic.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

    Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  11. #11
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year?

    And as bad as all that sounds, it still out draws both Universal parks.

    Got a great laugh the other day when I was reading DisBoards (still trying to figure out what makes that place so bad in some folks minds) and one of the members there claimed that WDW needed to do something to catch up with Universal.



    When the collectively agreed upon worst park on property is out drawing both Universal parks, I'm pretty sure the problem doesn't lie with WDW.
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 07-12-2013 at 09:30 AM.

  12. #12
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,388

    Re: Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year?

    Moving this updated post to the end.
    Last edited by supernova; 07-13-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

    Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  13. #13
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year?

    Streets of America might be interesting if they, you know, pretended that it was an operating studio. They don't even pretend any more.

    I think the Osbourne light might survive, but it depends on what they end up doing. If they don't skimp on Cars Land like rumored, it could be done in Radiator Springs I guess.

    If parking weren't already an issue (and Disney could somehow charge admission), I could see it on the Boardwalk.

    Hmm...Disney Springs?!?
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


  14. #14
    Prince Charming's Avatar
    Prince Charming is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    76

    Re: Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year?

    The Osborne Lights have been one of my favorite holiday traditions to visit each year and they do attract the crowds every night! If this rumor is true, I think Disney would want to keep this popular holiday event going. I am sure that they can carve out a spot for it in HS.

    Welcome to the Magic Kingdom!

  15. #15
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,303

    Re: Osborne Lights, Is 2013 the final year?

    Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Since I don't do drops, I always skip RnR and Twilight. Until they upgrade Muppets, it'll remain a one-and-done for me. I visit Star Tours every time. I've NEVER done Idol (never watched a single episode... not into talent shows), and only did Sounds Dangerous once, and that was back (way back) when it first opened. I rode Toy Story Mania once, liked it, but not enough to wait it out. And since I always do four parks in one day and then spent the rest of my visit outside the parks, Fast Passes are gone by the time I get there. Do I care? Nope. So I stroll through the park, ride a ride or two, and leave. I've only sat through Beauty and the Beast once, and I'll do Mermaid once every four to five years. And I've never sat through Disney Jr. I do enjoy walking through what was once a really great animation area. Once every two years or so, I'll walk through the Walt Disney exhibit, and I finally sat through the video last year. But again now, one and done. I only did the animation drawing class once or twice. No big deal if I miss it. And the Jack Sparrow area has no appeal for me. I can't remember the last time I went on the Great Movie Ride (probably not since the 90s) and I might go on this year because my wife has never been and she likes the Wizard of Oz. Is it worth 30 minutes of my life for two scenes? Probably not, but with not much else left to do, eh, why not. I never got to see the Lights, Motors, Action stunt show, with or without McQueen, and I don't feel I've missed a thing. I rode the backstage tour when there was a Residential Street, and not again since. I did ride it in Disneyland Paris, just for nostalgia, and because it was narrated on video by Jeremy Irons. Indy was another one-and-done attraction.

    I hadn't been to Fantasmic in a while, so went two years ago when we took her two brothers to the parks. The four of us were nodding off. Way way WAY too long, slow, and repetative. And the nightmare bottleneck to get out of the theater, when for some reason they refuse to open up the other side exits out is enough to keep me FAR away from the show.

    So how can a park with so much to offer leave so little to do? The answer there is that what they have to offer isn't a big enough draw and the park has grown stale. Yes, they expanded to include Pixar Place. Which is a ride, a meet and greet, and what used to be a silly Luxo Lamp bouncing around, which I can't bring myself to call an audioanimatronic.
    Stale sums it up nicely. WDW fans are a different breed. We on a whole accept and embrace, make excuses for WDW. DL/Cali fans are better consumers. When Disney built a new park that wasn't up to fans expectations fans simply refused to enter the park. The worse the parks get the more the Uber Fans try to find a way to defend the parks. But this year it seems Disney has taken notice. The Brazilian and Argentinian tour groups are splitting their tour groups between WDW and Universal Orlando Parks. Likely irreversible with what will come online at Universal Parks over the next year in addition to what has just come online. One Large Park Tour Group tour shirts now have both Walt Disney World and Universal slapped on them and they only highlight Universal major attractions. They wear these shirts at both Universal and Disney.

    Epcot is just living off its couple of festivals a year now and the candlelight draws big numbers too. It isn't the attractions that are the draw anymore it is food and booze and that is why Disney added food and booze to the Flower & Garden show this year. That is Epcot now. Epcot does that very well, those festivals draw huge numbers for the drunk fests.

    We already spend a few days at Universal, we use to spend several days in Future World per trip with my young kids, if I had to do it again with a young family given what Epcot has to offer families there would be more Universal, SeaWorld Days and likely a with young kids a day at LegoLand. No LegoLand won't beat the MK in attendance but Universal, SeaWorld and LegoLand are creeping into far more guests vacation itineraries than ever before and Disney seems to be taking notice, finally. What will matter is how well they bring online new attractions. Mediocrity can't clean up the present. Even with the Grand Opening/Ribbon Cutting of FLE attendance only went up 2% for that major investment. A year will be telling if Dwarf is the Mecca. We shall see if it draws as well as Cars expansion did for Cali. Mermaid is already a walk-on over on the West Coast. WDW and DL fans seem to have different tastes for attractions. Or we are desperate for anything new at WDW.
    supernova likes this.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pictures of Osborne Lights on Residential Street?
    By Maestr034 in forum I Remember... Lost Attractions of WDW & More
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 12:36 AM
  2. Osborne Lights date pushed up!
    By HauntedGabe in forum WDW Theme Parks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2009, 08:23 PM
  3. Osborne Christmas Lights at Hollywood Studios
    By Lightning 95 in forum Ask The Disney Experts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 11:18 PM
  4. Osborne Lights?
    By Jiminy Cricket in forum Ask The Disney Experts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 05:20 PM
  5. Osborne Lights return rumor
    By adambreakey in forum Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 07:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •