Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HauntedGabe
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Lock'n Up the Disney Pools come November in the News & Rumors forums; I've put this under the rumor thread, it belongs here because I can't find any other confirmation and all the buzz seems to be coming from this Author/Blogger Kevin Yee. ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Lock'n Up the Disney Pools come November

I've put this under the rumor thread, it belongs here because I can't find any other confirmation and all the buzz seems to be coming from this Author/Blogger Kevin Yee. But considering how Disney built AoA and put a fence around the pool, AoA had the start of the touch to enter doors, this one could have legs....

from the Ultimate Orlando

Friday, September 20, 2013

Disney pools to be locked and inaccessible in the overnight hours, starting this November

In a move that is not yet widely announced even internally, we have heard that Walt Disney World will soon move to lock down access to the pools at their resort hotels, so that "off hours" swimming will become a thing of the past. Reportedly by some point in November, all Disney pools plan to be locked and inaccessible even to hotel guests in the overnight hours.

At present, some resort pools have no fences. Many of them are open odd hours (such as 11am or 10am variously) and close late, but guests can still venture into the pools even overnight, so long as they recognize there is no lifeguard on duty.

But once the change is made, all pools will be off-limits if there is no lifeguard on duty; the pools will be fenced off and keycards/bracelets will not work to open them during the overnight hours. Apparently they plan to fence in remaining pools (though I didn't hear when that would happen. By November? Some months later?)

Under the new policy, all resort pools will be closed from 11pm until 7am. Lifeguard services will start earlier than they do now, but it's not sure if they will start as early as 7am.

This is breaking information not yet announced by Disney (technically that makes it a "rumor"), and it's unclear if the lifeguards themselves have been told yet. We will update this post if more information becomes available.

---
    Kevin Yee is the author of numerous independent Disney books, including the popular Walt Disney World Earbook series and Walt Disney World Hidden History.

Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Lock'n Up the Disney Pools come November

I wonder if 'swim at your own risk' truly removes the liability issue from Disney should anyone drown. I can see locking things up in the winter months when the weather doesn't permit swimming. Guests might be annoyed if they couldn't swim at midnight when the temps are still warm/hot, but paying life guards past 10 or 11 might be more expensive than just shutting the pools.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I wonder if 'swim at your own risk' truly removes the liability issue from Disney should anyone drown. I can see locking things up in the winter months when the weather doesn't permit swimming. Guests might be annoyed if they couldn't swim at midnight when the temps are still warm/hot, but paying life guards past 10 or 11 might be more expensive than just shutting the pools.
    Lifeguards are expensive. These are Ellis certified. It takes a week to certify each CM, they have to have 4 hours of first aid, CPR and emergency training each month to keep their certification current. Each lifeguard needs to be routated every 20 minutes and then off stand each hour for 20 minutes. Ellis requires pool 'zone' certification of each and every pool and during different times of day for blindspots and glare. This is the very specific area a lifeguard scans the water. That is why they don't downsize the staff on duty, they must have all zones covered.

Then you have the guards offstand that run to any given whistle.
    I spy 4 guards in this section of the Poly. (likely a shift change for head guard/manager of crew, that two are walking) I know Ellis requires my DD waterpark to have a guard at top of slide and one posted on stand near bottom of slide when open.

poly frackle
    supernova likes this.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I was surprised to learn that Florida is one of the few states that requires its lifeguards to be certified. Would have thought it'd be a lot more, but apparently it's not required.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

I think the early reports were a little overboard.

I'm pretty sure I got an official email on it, but I can't find it now. But essentially the feature pools will now have lifeguards for the duration of posted hours, and then the pools will close.

"Quiet" pools will still be accessible 24 hours.

I'm a bit unclear if ALL pools are now getting fenced in, or just the feature pools that aren't currently.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I was surprised to learn that Florida is one of the few states that requires its lifeguards to be certified. Would have thought it'd be a lot more, but apparently it's not required.
    Yeah, having two adult children that are certified trainers of lifeguards I can't imagine guards not being certified, not a lot of point there. Then they may as well have general staff in the area like the Disney Ships do that do not have lifeguards stationed at their pools onboard.

My son over the years at Disney has held many CM roles and even when he piloted the rescue boat he had to be certified in emergency rescue procedures of lifesaving just like their lifeguards are.

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I think the early reports were a little overboard.

I'm pretty sure I got an official email on it, but I can't find it now. But essentially the feature pools will now have lifeguards for the duration of posted hours, and then the pools will close.

"Quiet" pools will still be accessible 24 hours.

I'm a bit unclear if ALL pools are now getting fenced in, or just the feature pools that aren't currently.
    Yeah, I was wondering what they would do with the quiet pools. But IF Disney is only going to fence off the Feature pools, at first blush, to me it appears it is more about keeping non-resort guests out of the feature pools and lifeguards to enforce, than it is to make the pools secure for life safety reasons.

The quiet pools have a greater chance 24/7 of a guest being in distress and nobody noticing than there is at a feature pool during non-guarded hours. Feature pools generally have guests or staff wandering about, the quiet pools are more tucked away and during off hours it could be a while before anyone happens by those pools.