Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Air conditioned character suits? in the News & Rumors forums; I apply in March. And I live about an hour and a half away from Kansas City. I wanna do the Fall Advantage program but I don't know if I'll ...
    karamie is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I apply in March. And I live about an hour and a half away from Kansas City. I wanna do the Fall Advantage program but I don't know if I'll be able to do that...plus I still haven't been accepted.

Do you know exactly what your position is yet?

Karamie

hillz232 is offline A-Ticket holder
    no. i am operations until my audition so i mean i suppose i could say i'm operations but i hope to be a character. I am pluto and princess height. but i really want to be pluto. I was my highschool mascot. i loved it! but what ever i mean i'll be happy with anything.
    a dream is a wish your heart makes...

*** hopeful 2006 fall program wdwcp character performer **

karamie is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Awesome, operations is what I want. I hope you get to be Pluto! Maybe we'll see each other down there!

Karamie

BryanFykes is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by hillz232
    I was accepted into the wdwcp fall 2006!!!! I audition for character performer on March 30 i'm so excited but i need some advice! thanks
    hillary
    Study Pantomime. I was asked to mime "teaching kids aerobics". im a very uncoordinated dancer, but because of my tall-ness and the fact that i did very well miming this ( i am normally modest, but i was really proud of myself) i was selected.

Remember to smile the whole time, dont complain, look every Audtioner in the eyes, keep your head up and back straight. I was told that they also look to see who does what during the breaks between action. I never sat down, I watched the "judges" intently and tried to practice what i was just shown, even though they told us that the next dance activity was going to be unique. I also made it quite well known that this was a dream of mine since I was in High School, and that I didnt look at it as a job, but as a once in a lifetime opportunity.
    Remember the most important Service guidline-

"Always preserve the Magic"

Kimpossible is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Basically, the audition consists of two parts: learning a short dance to perform and miming out a charade they give you.
    Now is the time. Now is the best time. Now is the best time of your life. Life is a prize. Live every minute. Open your eyes and watch how you win it. Yesterdays memories may sparkle and gleam. Tomorrow is still but a dream! Remember the past, but live for today. The whole world is watching and your in the parade. There's so much to cheer for, be glad you're here for it's the best time of your life!

Dblk2104 is offline A-Ticket holder
    They go out for 20 min at a time during summer and 30 during winter and if inside its 45

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Bryan,

Thanks for your suggestions. I aspire to be a cm in character and have had that hope since finding out that I'm in the height range for Mickey.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

king9671091 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Having donned many costumes at my work(Elvis, Clown, Santa Clause, Front Row Joe (our mascot at Cinemark Movies), Front Row Joe was one of the hardest. It consisted of heavy big feet with straps. Then you snap that on to the legs of the pants. Then I put on the torso padding, and slipped my arms through the upper part of the costume which was the fur torso, arms jacket et. and snapped that to the waist of the pants. Then I had to put on shoulder pads underneath to help support the head. Once the head was slipped on, forget about it. Vision was almost down to 0. Had to look through black mesh located in the mouth. Head was hard to keep straight because of the weight. And then I put the gloves on. 4 fingers only. Signing autographs were hard, because of vision and mobility. After 20 mins, it's hard to breath, it's stifling. Other than that it's a load of fun!

tennisbabi1409 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm pretty sure they do have AC.
    If you can dream it,
    you can do it!

stacybear23 is offline A-Ticket holder
    What you may be thinking of are costumes for certain stage productions, many of which are quasi-air-conditioned. I was part of the musical The Wiz at my school, and the actor who played the lion had to wear this monstrously heavy and hot costume for nearly three hours with few breaks, while both singing and dancing. His costume did actually have a type of "air-conditioning"...there were pockets built into the interior of the suit for ice packs so the actor in the costume would not overheat while performing. I was never a costumed cast member at WDW, so I don't know if even the costumes for the stage productions had built-in ice packs, et cetera, but I'm thinking it probably wouldn't be such a bad idea! My CM friends who were characters always hated their jobs in the summer, even if they did only do it for 15-20 minutes at a time!

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    Welcome Stacybear23!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

Turkey Leg is offline C-Ticket Holder
    A friend of mine who was chip at one time also told me some characters also use personal cooling units ( Those neck things with the tiny fan and water sponge ) to keep cool during real hot days!

Ex-Castmember, DVC Member, Animation Expert. . . 100% Disney Maniac!

Next trip : October 2006 / Beach Club Villas.

tkdlouie is offline A-Ticket holder
    yes i am positive that there is a type of air conditioning or cooling system inside the charactor costumes, because i saw a show called "How Its Made" on the discovery channel and on one of the episodes it explained and showed how charactor costumes were made and it went to the steps of how they make them and the different parts. and one of the parts was a mini fan/air conditioning unit that ran on bateries that was located inside the top of the head of the charactor suit.....below is a copy of the url to the "How Its Made" site were they have descriptions of each of the episodes and im sure that you could find the episodes that has the charactor costumes on it.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I think the best solution they have come up with for characters in the park is having the meet and greet areas INSIDE. It certainly doesn't make cms cool, but it has to make the job slightly more bareable. (one can hope)
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

disney1266 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I have read several books on WDW that there is no AC in any of the costumes. They go on to say that if you are too hot, you better NOT take off your costume head because you will spoil the "Disney magic". Get sick in the costume, but never take off the head. I've also heard a Dopey character fainted on one of the floats during a parade because of the heat. Disney doesn't pay enough money to anyone to wear a costume, especially in the summer heat. Someone needs to create an air conditioning suit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast