Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss WDW Space Mountain Rumor in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by nrose101 Sure did. Also the ride vehicles only had two seats, basically up to four people could ride in the rocket, with one person sitting on the ...
    20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Quote Originally Posted by nrose101
    Sure did. Also the ride vehicles only had two seats, basically up to four people could ride in the rocket, with one person sitting on the other persons lap.
    So, basically just a step above the Matterhorn vehicles painted in a different colour?

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

rae! is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I don't care what they do to space mountain as long as they don't get rid of it.
    Last edited by rae!; 10-12-2005 at 08:40 PM.

ksa1314 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by rae!
    I don't care what they do to space mountain as long as they don't get rid of it.
    they never will... they would have to be high or something to totally get rid of space mountain.

but... updating seems like a good idea

jadezuki is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Space Mountain has always been one of my favorites, but the past few times I've gone to MK I've chosen not to ride it. The reason? The last few times I have ridden it, it's given me terrible headaches. It's simply a more jerky and rickety ride than it used to be, and the restraints do nothing for your head. Also, the last time I rode the People Mover, Space Mountain was closed and the lights were on, which I'd seen before, but this time I noticed just how aged the ride has become. I'm a fan of the original, but I wouldn't be opposed to an alteration, not at all. And let's face it - in light of the new rides in Tomorrowland, Space Mountain is really beginning to look dated.

sterm26 is offline C-Ticket Holder

DL Space Mountain is great!

The new DL Space Mountain is light-years ahead of the WDW version. New track, different soundtracks depending on time of day, and EXTREMELY dark! No glimpsing of the track at DL. I understand that it took 2+ years for the DL rehab, but everyone out there said it was worth the wait.
    Last edited by sterm26; 10-17-2005 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Grammar correction
    WDW offsite 1979, '83, '86, '87, '89,' 93

ASMo November 2003 (Love Bug)

Pop Century February 2005 (50's)

Pop Century February 2006 (60's)

Pop Century August 2006 (60's)

Coronado Springs February 2009

Disneyland August 1988 (L.A.)

Disneyland August 2005 (Anaheim Plaza)

"His name's Tron, fights for the Users..."

Koda is offline C-Ticket Holder

No Need For Space Race

I have been on DL and WDW space mountain and I think that DL has a much cooler space mountain. I think WDW could stand for the kind of update DL has, but nothing else.

What is up with everyone wanting to change all of these rides. I am traditionalist and space mountain is just as great as it was 20 years ago. I never felt increasing back pain or anything else.

No Need For Space Race!!
    Koda

If we can dream it, we can do it! ~ Walt Disney

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Koda - I agree completely!

I am the same way really. I love so many of the older attractions simply because of the way they are unique, even in a sort of antique way. I hate that there is so much talk about changing them or needing updates or that they aren't up to par with other parks. That's what I love about WDW. I know I can go to the MK and hop a ride in a pirate ship and soar over London and Neverland. I know I can ride a mining car through Snow White's scary adventures. I love those kinds of rides. i don't care that Islands of Adventure has high tech roller coasters... if you tried to remove my Peter Pan's Flight and replace it with a newer, high-tech ride, or give it a modern day facelift, you bet I'm gonna protest! If you want coasters and high tech thrills, go to IOA, go to Six Flags, go to Bush Gardens. If you want timeless, quality family fun with an all-encompassing theme, that's when you go to WDW and ride the rides you remember from days past. If you are young enough to have not grown up with these rides, don't hate them for being old fashioned... instead, look at them for being unique. Look at them for being historical. Look at them for what the theme or story is trying to tell you.

Space Mountain isn't exactly high tech by modern standards. it doesn't go fast, doesn't go upside down or backwards, and doesn't go a bazillion feet in the air. But it WAS the first roller coaster designed with computers (thank Lou, for that fact). If you change the current track, doesn't that remove that uniqueness about it? The new track will no longer be the first designed by this method. Also, tomorrowland in itself is a 1960s view of the future. This is reflected by how much "space" stuff is featured there (we were in the middle of the space race in the 60s). If you start updating stuff, it takes away from the original theme and in effect begins to re-theme the entire area, or at least that one attraction. I love Space Mountain the way it is. I'm still getting over the loss of some of my other beloved childhood attractions (Mr. Toad is still the hardest to swallow). I couldn't deal with a re-make of another one of my favorites.

I can't say I'm totally against a fixer-upper for Space... make it darker, update the safety restraints, whatever... but please please please don't let anybody change the ride itself. Leave the theming alone, and don't touch the track. That ride has historic and nostalgic value.
    Last edited by MainStreet, USA; 10-20-2005 at 04:59 PM.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak
    I wouldn't mind a small rehab to the ride vehicles.... but to change the actual ride? I don't want that.
    It the only one that I can go on and feel the same as I did when I was there the first time in fourth grade. It's like... everything has changed and it's stayed the same.
    I like that it's the same.
    Disney Trips
    May 1994- WDW (off property)
    May 1997- WDW (off property)
    March 2001- WDW (off property)
    May 2006- Disneyland (off property)
    September 2010- WDW (POFQ)
    October 2012 - Wedding and Honeymoon! - WDW (POR)

Koda is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I couldnt agree with you more on every aspect you said MainStreet. I keep going back to Disney to see the classic rides I grew up with. IOA and Busch gardens do have fun thrill rides, but I would rather go to Disney any day of the week, any time of the year because of the classic rides. Those other parks cant compare and bring about the good feeling I get at Disney.

I miss Mr. Toad too!!
    Koda

If we can dream it, we can do it! ~ Walt Disney

Relax!

I'm not talking about tearing down Main St, re-imagineering the Haunted Mansion, or replacing Peter Pan with Stich. Those themes are timeless. Tomorowland has always been about change...it's really the only Land that constantly changes attractions. The new Space Mountain at Disneyland is a worthy and welcome improvement over the original (at DL, at least)

I would hate to see the current SM at WDW go, but if they put in something like DL's version, I wouldn't miss the old one too much.

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreet, USA
    Koda - I agree completely!

I am the same way really. I love so many of the older attractions simply because of the way they are unique, even in a sort of antique way. I hate that there is so much talk about changing them or needing updates or that they aren't up to par with other parks. That's what I love about WDW. I know I can go to the MK and hop a ride in a pirate ship and soar over London and Neverland. I know I can ride a mining car through Snow White's scary adventures. I love those kinds of rides. i don't care that Islands of Adventure has high tech roller coasters... if you tried to remove my Peter Pan's Flight and replace it with a newer, high-tech ride, or give it a modern day facelift, you bet I'm gonna protest! If you want coasters and high tech thrills, go to IOA, go to Six Flags, go to Bush Gardens. If you want timeless, quality family fun with an all-encompassing theme, that's when you go to WDW and ride the rides you remember from days past. If you are young enough to have not grown up with these rides, don't hate them for being old fashioned... instead, look at them for being unique. Look at them for being historical. Look at them for what the theme or story is trying to tell you.

Space Mountain isn't exactly high tech by modern standards. it doesn't go fast, doesn't go upside down or backwards, and doesn't go a bazillion feet in the air. But it WAS the first roller coaster designed with computers (thank Lou, for that fact). If you change the current track, doesn't that remove that uniqueness about it? The new track will no longer be the first designed by this method. Also, tomorrowland in itself is a 1960s view of the future. This is reflected by how much "space" stuff is featured there (we were in the middle of the space race in the 60s). If you start updating stuff, it takes away from the original theme and in effect begins to re-theme the entire area, or at least that one attraction. I love Space Mountain the way it is. I'm still getting over the loss of some of my other beloved childhood attractions (Mr. Toad is still the hardest to swallow). I couldn't deal with a re-make of another one of my favorites.

I can't say I'm totally against a fixer-upper for Space... make it darker, update the safety restraints, whatever... but please please please don't let anybody change the ride itself. Leave the theming alone, and don't touch the track. That ride has historic and nostalgic value.

Great points but also keep in mind when Tomorrowland was built it was built for change. I agree leave SM the way it is but I can tell you from a person who has ridden it when it was only 6 years old it has change quite a bit over the years. I remember when you were able to fit two in the seats. Now your legs are all up in your chest.I love SM but they need to kind of rehab it a bit not change it but just touch it up. I would also be very disappointed if they made it really modern but once again keep in mind Tomorrowland was built to change and to be about the furture and if you think about it tomorrowland is like in the pastland now.That's beacuse just about most of the attractions were built in the late 60's to early 70's and the furture from that time. Just think about it they thought we would hav flying cars by now But don't worry I don't think they will change this ride to the point that it so different it would upset die hard guest like us.

Oh I agree I thought someone was off their meds when they took Mr.Toad out. I remember riding that back when I first went to Disney in 1977 wow that was a long time ago.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

Benjo is offline Cranium Commando
    Would there be enough room inside the structure to take down one side of Space Mountain to add in a new version, but keep an old track as well? It would be fun and interesting to see who would ride the new ride and who would ride the old one. One thing that I would question about this possibility is that the integrity of both current tracks probably depends on them be up against each other.

You see the hat? I am Mrs. Nesbitt!

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjo
    Would there be enough room inside the structure to take down one side of Space Mountain to add in a new version, but keep an old track as well? It would be fun and interesting to see who would ride the new ride and who would ride the old one. One thing that I would question about this possibility is that the integrity of both current tracks probably depends on them be up against each other.

I would try both. But I think a lot of people would be opposed to something like this because that mean it not the old version anymore even if you left part of the old track.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

iwantobeaCM is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Main St and Koda..I think we have the same brains

never change SM NEvvvahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Michelle

Mousefest 2006!! For my 18th birthday!!!!

Interesting fact..

Apparently, from what I've read, WDW's Space Mountain came first, and is much larger than the DL version simply because of available space.

DL, as you know, is much smaller than WDW, and they only had room to build a SM dome that could hold one track. So perhaps, like the Matterhorn in DL, the WDW SM is an original classic, and should be left alone (except for the usual rehab).

But, should Disney decide to give the original SM a 21st century facelift....c'est la vie!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast