Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Do they pump in heat and humidity in Animal Kingdom? in the News & Rumors forums; I'm convinced that they pump in heat and humidity in AK. We just spent 6 days in WDW and the most uncomfortable day was in AK. We even went to ...
    SaintRob is offline A-Ticket holder

Do they pump in heat and humidity in Animal Kingdom?

I'm convinced that they pump in heat and humidity in AK. We just spent 6 days in WDW and the most uncomfortable day was in AK. We even went to Epcot on the same day as AK and it was MUCH cooler at Epcot. Highs were in the mid 70's with partly cloudy skies, but it felt like high 80's / low 90's in AK.

Any truth to this 'rumor'?

PS... I've got some GREAT pics of Expedition Everest!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Well, if it's true, they forgot to turn on the heat in Dec 2004. It was freezing in AK that day. I have a picture of my family with leather jackets, scarves, gloves and hats. I think the tourist bureau in FL would pay a lot of money for us never to show anyone how cold it can get in FL. Maybe the jungle feel and African theme made you BELIEVE it was warmer. (Those imagineers are good!)
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    Actually, they do. It is a special invention known as "Florida weather." That's weather in Florida here all the time.
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

SaintRob is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks for the info, DF91. I read here that they pump humidity in for the Jungle Cruise. I was wondering if they did the same for AK. I live in New Orleans, I get the whole 'southern' weather thing. It was markedly warmer at AK than Epcot, maybe it's because there's a lake at the center of Epcot... I don't know. I don't think it's beyond the realm of Disney to make it seem warmer in AK.

Thanks for the sarcasm.

The main reason you feel it more in AK compared to the other parks is due to the narrower pathways and all of the vegetation. They use more trees, brush, plants and bushes to obtain the "jungle" type atmosphere.

flutter is offline Moderator
    Epcot to me always seems colder....I go in Dec. I think it is because it is so open and has the lake in the middle.....just my opinion

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    I believe they do have "misters" to create a haze around/over the park - this probably adds to humidity...

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    Yeah, sorry but hey, let's be serious. Florida weather is brutal. Don't take it so seriously. What happened to senses of humor? But yeah, I agree with sam i am and disneydreamer. The jungle type atmosphere does add to the humidity of things.

Now, as we all know, for every different continent represented, there is different foliage native to each. In order to keep them all alive, Disney placed special humidifiers and environmental control devices to keep each continent at different humidities, temperatures, etc. in order to keep them all alive.
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I know they have special plant heaters in the orchid garden next to Mexico in Epcot - when the temperatures get too cool for those delicate plants, they have heaters to warm up the area. They pointed them out on the Gardens of the World tour. I wouldn't be surprised if they were installed elsewhere on property, too, including in Animal Kingdom. But they would only be operating in the colder weather.
    I've noticed at AK that in many areas, because of all the dense plantings, it's nearly impossible to feel any sort of breeze and the air is very heavy and still. In August, the only time we felt wind was immediately before a thunderstorm soaked us.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

wheelerwg is offline A-Ticket holder
    As a biology major, I'll throw in my explanation. The tree's not only make the Ak feel more humid, they actually make it more humid. We are all aware of the process of evaporation of water from lakes, oceans, etc. but by far, most of the water in the atmosphere is a result of transpiration for trees, water that is ****ed out of the leaves of trees. More trees, more leaves, more transpiration, thus more humidity.

tkdlouie is offline A-Ticket holder
    i think maybe they might pump in humidity and heat to the animal kindom for some of the plants and animals but i dont think that they would be purpously pumping heat and humidity out in guest areas.

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Ak feels warmer to me because I don't like it. My daughter likes the Safari ride but after that she is ready to leave. I just don't like AK and feel like I am wasting Disney hours on something I loathe, it's kind of like ironing clothes, has to be done but not happily. I liked the transpiration explanation though, so thank you wheelerwg.

KJM762 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I agree, the AK feels so much hotter & stickier than the other parks. Makes it much less enjoyable than the others just to be in. I can be there for a week & try not to go there just because of the heat & humidity.

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    The pavement alone is what I think is the hottest. The pavement at MK and MGM even seems way cooler. Could be the color I guess.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder

Lightbulb

I think the reason it feels hotter in AK is that most of the attractions are outdoors. Guests have very little opportunities to go inside a building to cool off. Also, the plants and the misters probably don't help either.

Also I think many people don't do AK right away. The MK and Epcot are probably the parks that people hit first. By the time guests see AK, they are probably tired, getting cranky and adjusting to Fla. heat.

As far as "pumping in heat and humidity" I'd say that's more wishful thinking than fact.
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast