Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss New Segway program in Epcot? in the News & Rumors forums; Fom my source, known as "Disney Deep Throat" (you know... like the Watergate secret source?) Did you know that there is a construction sign up in Innovention area near the ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

New Segway program in Epcot?

Fom my source, known as "Disney Deep Throat" (you know... like the Watergate secret source?)

Did you know that there is a construction sign up in Innovention area near the Segway exhibit. It seems that Disney is going to build a training area so the guest can see the cast members training on the Segway before the cast member use them in the parks. Disney still refuses to allow guests to ride their own/personal Segways in the parks but they still allow wheelchairs, motorized wheelchairs, carriages and strollers in the parks to run into and injury walking guests...Aaaaaaaah!

Also Disney is exploring the possibility of setting up another Segway Program like the one they have in Epcot befor the park opens so guests can ride Segways around World Showcase as part of a paid tour.

What's the new program all about you ask? Well there is a new Segway called Segway® Cross-Terrain Transporter (XT)!
    http://www.segway.com/segway/model_xt.html

It is a modified Segway with balloon tires for going over rough terran. And they want to do the program in the woods at Fort Wilderness! Sounds like a hoot and a lot of people will sign up for it...as there already a long waiting list for the Epcot program.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    Segways are cool, we had one at school for computing services, and I've ridden it around quite a bit. I really think letting Guests use them throughout the parks is asking for it (as cool as it would be to use them).

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Oh, great, a Segway SUV.

I agree with Sam, letting the general guest population loose on Segways in the parks would be a mess. They are easy to learn but hard to master (CM's who use them have to go through several hours of training and I believe they also have to take refresher classes on a regular basis), they also are not all that lightweight. I took the Around the World on a Segway tour, and even after 2 hours I still was going right when I wanted to go left or over-correcting a turn. Plus your 'body-space' is different - the wheels make you 4" wider on each side, so clipping curbs, doorways, or people is all too easy to do. In the class before mine, somebody lost control while scooting around Italy. They let go of the handles & jumped off, and it fell forward and smashed one of the large planters. I think they're fun for a ride, but not in a crowd during the summer.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

magickingdom67 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Could you imagine the Segway races when the parks first open to the various attractions?

Contemporary05 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Whatever happened to good old fashioned walking?

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Fun fact--Segways can actually exceed speeds of 100 mph, if tied to a truck and sufficient tow rope, anyway.
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    Many people have difficulty walking or standing for long periods of time; ECVs can really make the difference between a painful, no-fun trip and a fun WDW vacation.

I'd hate for someone to not be able to enjoy WDW just because they can't walk all day.

Contemporary05 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I can totally understand the need for in park transportation for some people. It just seems to me that more and more scooters are showing up in the park. In some of the walkways, it's really hard to try and manuever without worry of being hit by a runaway scooter. Just my .02 cents.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am
    Many people have difficulty walking or standing for long periods of time; ECVs can really make the difference between a painful, no-fun trip and a fun WDW vacation.

I'd hate for someone to not be able to enjoy WDW just because they can't walk all day.

That's where the difference between using a Segway and using an ECV lies: you stand the whole time on a Segway, and actually use a lot of leg muscles to maintain your balance and speed. After two hours, some of the people on the Segway tour were complaining of their legs being tired. It's harder to justify using a Segway for medical reasons.

As our population ages, there will be more and more of the ECV's in use.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Much as I hate to say it, the fact that we're all getting older isn't nearly as much of an issue as other disturbing trends in our society. By the time Disney is preparing for the 100th anniversary, guests may well be able to roll faster than they can walk, anyway.
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    Sounds interesting

rxpeje63 is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Cool a Segway SUV. I would love to have one of these.
    "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." W.D.
    DH DS(17) DD (14)DD(10) Chewbacca(4)
    Han Solo(3)
    DW 8/1/62 - 9/4/10

GoofysMommy is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I dunno If I get this. So alot of CMs are gonna be taught to drive them? Sounds cool but like a bad idea. I mean thats ALOT of those things... and traffic ****s in Orlando. LOL!
    Chellie the Pirate Princess

Goofy Paul Anka Lunt

My Billy loves to eat !

http://www.myspace.com/goofysmommy

tkdlouie is offline A-Ticket holder
    well i went to WDW about a month ago and visited epcot and MK and at epcot they had a thing that you could go to inside that if you are 16yrs+ than they have a little test track type thing that you could ride around in with the help of a CM beside you...but no, you cannot ride segways around the park by yourself as a guest...only cast member and security member are permited to ride segways about the park

Soarin Kim is offline A-Ticket holder
    Actually, you are able to take a 2 hour training/tour in Epcot. If I remember, the cost is $80, but you can use a AAA or Annual Passholder discount. I have taken the tour twice, the last time, a week ago this past Sunday. FANTASTIC.

Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast