Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Hand stamps are a sham? in the News & Rumors forums; My wife and I were told by a CM a few years ago the return hand stamps are a sham to scare people from cheating on the regular passes. I ...
    Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL

Hand stamps are a sham?

My wife and I were told by a CM a few years ago the return hand stamps are a sham to scare people from cheating on the regular passes. I have brought this topic up on other sites and have received conflicting answers from other CM's. Anyone know the truth?
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    JC,

Though they aren't fool proof. They are effective. 95% of the time you probably will not need them, but for the 5% of the time you do, it does help to have the stamp. There are people out there who still pass tix to family the same day to try to beat the system.

I know what you mean. I know people who use someone else's Park Hopper passes a year or two later, when it clearly says the passes are non-transferable. What is this world coming too?
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

And sadly many try to use them the same day, even brave enough to had their tix back to family in line. Saw it happen today. Those are the people you just want to slap upside the head a few times.

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    I know this is an old thread but here's my understanding (from a bunch of very reliable sources, IMHO).

The point of the handstamp is to prove that *you* are the person who used the ticket earlier in the day and prevent transference of the ticket. That's the truth, and that's not a sham. Not everybody needs a handstamp - if you use the biometric reader (annual passholders, for example), that system shows that it's the same person. So no handstamp necessary.

Checking handstamps is sporadic - not every time will the CM ask you to see your handstamp; but when they ask, you want to have it.

- Sometimes the computers that run the turnstiles go down (what, just because it's WDW, windows won't crash? ha!). With a handstamp, reentry can theoretically be granted without running the ticket through the turnstile.

- Sometimes there's a problem with your ticket (demagnetization, for example) and they will want to see your handstamp before replacing the ticket.

- Sometimes the park is very crowded and only readmissions are permitted. The ticket and handstamp requirement helps ensure that there is no illicit sales of tickets going on.

- Sometimes the computer will demand that the CM check your handstamp (in certain circumstances). You really want to have it then.

- Often the CM will see the handstamp as you walk by without you realizing it; the UV lamps, particularly the mounted ones like at the MK, and when it's dusk/dark, illuminate your hand as you reach for your ticket.

- Sometimes CMs just check - like they are in theory supposed to each time. Often they're too busy and don't pay full attention, but what can you do.

I have personally seen people "busted" for this, and it usually entails more than the missing handstamp, but of course, that's a big part. I think they just made them buy another ticket before giving back the partially used ticket.

Ditto what Sam said.

Sam I Am must have read my mind today as I was just mentioning to my DW that I did not see one CM check any handstamps during our recent visit. Perhaps that was due to so few CM's at the turnstiles. Anyway, over the course of 8 days we must have "collected" a dozen or so handstamps on both hands. How in the world can the CM's tell if a handstamp is current or days old, or worse yet, transferred from one hand to another? Just seems like a waste of time and money to buy all those stamps and pads if they are not being used.

*Off Property

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    We are fond of the hand stamp and here is why

on our very first trip to WDW a very cranky little 3 year old young man (now 19) did not want to leave Mickey behind or go home or not do anything ... a wonderful CM came over and stamped his hand and told him that He had a special gift from Mickey and he could carry it home with him, she gavehis hand the stamp and said that it had Mickey's magic in it... so now even to this day I love getting the stamp and i remember that little boy of mine who is now all grown up .... and I like having Mickey's magic with me as well

huskybear is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Over the past few years, and many visits to WDW, I can't recall a single CM checking my, or anyone elses in my party, hand stamp. Maybe I have an honest face (yeah, right!!) or maybe I'm just lucky (ticket never demagnetized), but my hand's not been scrutinized in a long time.
    George

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    We almost always use length of stay passes (UPH) and were told several years ago that we did not need a hand stamp and have never bothered to stop and get one since. We have never been asked upon reentry into a park or when hopping to another park to show our handstamp. This is contrary to all printed material I have read.

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    The handstamps are full of magic - I love sometimes seeing someone with stamps all over their arms and hands (and face) in a black light area in the parks. Asked the guy about it, turns out he works at the turnstiles LOL. I guess he was bored that day.

With an UPH/LOS pass, you are supposed to get a handstamp, since it does not use biometrics. Unfortunately, not everything we hear from CMs is accurate.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I mean, it's so infrequent that you really need it, and it IS WDW, so explaining you didn't know you needed it (or that you were told you didn't) would probably be sufficient. But why bother, it's fun to get your invisible handstamp and then try to figure out what in the World it says

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am
    it's fun to get your invisible handstamp and then try to figure out what in the World it says
    That is a bunch of fun.... lets go to RnR and read it!

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    It comes up on other rides as well - we spend time trying to figure just what they stamped on us- sometimes its tough to figure out what it is!!

fray101 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Can't comment on WDW but the CMs usually check for hand-stamps at Disneyland Paris (or at least make a vague effort of waving the light in your direction!) Although as Jiminey said, once you've got a few stamps on your hand who can tell what day they're from.

But as Sam mentioned, the stamps are also a source of entertainment - I remember the first time I was on a dark ride suddenly thinking "what's that?!" and then trying to work out what the picture was!

Dream our dreams forever...

http://disneypix.tripod.com

tigger248 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I've never had my stamps checked at WDW. But, the ink can be annoying sometimes. Last year, when I rode RNRC, My legs, hands, arms, everything glowed. This was a couple days into the trip, and I guess the ink smeared before it dried. That stuff is potent and doesn't wash off very easily and I could also see previous days stamps underneath the current one. I know that they make the ink that way so you can swim, shower, etc. and still have a valid stamp, but it was just weird to glow like that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast