Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss A New Park May Be Coming Soon... in the News & Rumors forums; This is what I found on http://mickeynews.com . Walt Disney Co. is awaiting approval from China's central government to build a theme park in Shanghai, the China Daily reported on ...
    Soccergirl426 is offline Annual Passholder

A New Park May Be Coming Soon...

This is what I found on http://mickeynews.com.

Walt Disney Co. is awaiting approval from China's central government to build a theme park in Shanghai, the China Daily reported on Saturday. Shanghai's mayor in March said the city was eager to host Disney, after the $1.8 billion Disneyland Hong Kong opened in 2005, while China's capital city Beijing also wants one. Disney has been in discussions with Shanghai officials for a long time, group chairman George Mitchell told the China Daily, and talks are now under way between the Shanghai municipal government and the State Council, which has the final say. "Our discussions have been with Shanghai officials, and now they are engaging with the national officials," the paper cited Mitchell as saying. "We have an interest in proceeding and we hope that satisfactory terms can be worked out and we can proceed." He did not give a time-frame for a final deal or opening. "We try to proceed as quickly as possible after the execution of the contract, but until we execute a contract we don't get into when we are going to start," the paper cited Mitchell as saying. Disney and Shanghai are believed to want to open the park in time for Shanghai's World Expo in 2010. City government preparations for the Expo rival in scale and enthusiasm Beijing's preparations for the 2008 Olympics. A Disney park in Shanghai would be able to draw visitors from the populous and prosperous cities of the Yangtze Delta, while Beijing has few wealthy cities in its immediate vicinity. Shanghai's park could be located in the Chuansha area, the China Daily said -- midway between the city's international airport and the financial district in Pudong. Disney had been coy about its mainland plans in the run-up to its opening in Hong Kong in September. But Mitchell said there was a market for both attractions, and that a new park in Shanghai would not undermine the Hong Kong site, the China Daily said. "There has been very careful ****ysis from us and Chinese government officials," Mitchell said. "There are a very large number of people in the Shanghai area and we don't think that this (a new park) will have any more of a negative effect on Hong Kong than, say, having a park both in California and Orlando, Florida."
    So what do you guys think?

gonesouthin is offline Let me be.... YOUR HIGH FIBER
    No No No We Cant Keep Putting Parks Everywhere Cuz That Would Take The Magic Outa Going To One Of The Regular Parks Like Disneyland Cali, Paris, And Tokyo Or Disney World China Already Has A Park They Dont Need Another One
    Life isn't about the destination, everybody gets to that. It is about the journey.

Download my Disney Toolbar! It has links to tons of great disney sites like this one!!!

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I still say put more money back into the parks that already exist! They are going to (if they haven't already) spread themselves to thin. That usually ends up not being a good situation for anyone!!
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

FutureImagineer is offline Fastpass Holder
    I think East Asia already has enough Disney parks. Maybe they should think about Australia...or another place where a park has not yet been built.

Better yet, why not build another park in WDW?? The more the merrier...everyone always goes for a wk or more anyhow...

Ok, im being biased because i live in Miami. hehe
    The Goofy Princess

moulds is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I thing asia does have to many parks also. Why don't they put another one in the USA. or put another one in europe or something like that.
    Don't miss out on the fun....
    Join The WDW FANS CLUB!!!!
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/fo...9948#post259948

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    maybe because Asia's parks (at least one of them) doesn't have the capacity to hold all the visitors it recieves?

Furthermore (From what I know):
    -Tokyo Disneyland pretty much only speaks Japanese, which is pretty inconvenient for the majority of the Asian population.
    -Hong Kong Disneyland is very small, and therefore can't house the number of guests that go to visit, Tokyo Disneyland is inconvenient for most Asian tourists as HK Disneyland is closer, and have strict language requirements (Every CM is to speak conversational English, Cantonese and Mandarin, while more of the CMs do speak others somewhat fluently)

-in response to GoneSouthin' Hong Kong does belong to China now, but it is as much a part of China as Puerto Rico is part of America (just in case somebody doesn't know, Puerto Rico is an American commonwealth, hence it is owned in some part by America)

-how can people say that E. Asia has too many parks and then suggest that America build another? East Asia has 2 (3 if you include DisneySea) America has 6....

if Disney does end up building a park in Shanghai, it could only make things better for the CMs in HK Disneyland, and the guests from E. Asia who travel to Hong Kong who are denied entry.
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

dxer07002 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Remember, as long as the government puts up the money, Disney will build the park.. And when it comes time for expanding those parks, Disney barely shells out any money... So, it wouldn't pull too many resources off of the American parks....
    TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...
    BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

good point, and also, let's just be honest here....why be worried about the international Disney parks stealing California's and Orlando's thunder? How many people here really plan on visiting those parks in the future?

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    .no!!!!!!!
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

goofntink is offline B-Ticket Holder
    The project would be a solution for crowd capacity at Hong Kong And Toyko Disney. Would also be a matter of convienence and ease of travel and access to that part of Asia.

^exactly!

um, just for confirmation, I'm not meaning to diss any Disney Parks, (actually, I'm not fond of HK Disneyland at all, at least not yet) but I love all of them....the ones I've been to anyway

goofntink is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Don't like HKD either. Had friends from here that went to open the park,and they were not happy there,were glad to come home,and said they woukd not go back.