Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss space mountain!? in the News & Rumors forums; For what its worth, they didn't increae the thrill factor for the new DL version. In fact, the track layout is identical. The only reason they rebuilt it was because ...
    Raidermatt is offline B-Ticket Holder
    For what its worth, they didn't increae the thrill factor for the new DL version. In fact, the track layout is identical. The only reason they rebuilt it was because the track was deteriorating to the point of being unmaintainable. It had been scheduled to go down in Sept, 2003 for the re-build, but one morning in April of that year they found some damage that required them to shut down the ride for the day. They later decided that it wasn't wise to continue trying to do spot welds as needed and decided to start the rebuild immediately. Of course nobody was ready to actually start at that time, so there were some delays, but that was understandable.

They did also update some effects, themeing, etc. when they did the rebuild. Also, sometime next year they are supposedly going to introduce a new version of the ride, called Rockit Mountain. It will have different effects and a more rock oriented soundtrack. I believe they plan to run the regular version during the day and the Rockit version at night, but I'm not sure if they even know for sure about that.

I haven't read/seen anything about putting the MK version through a similar re-build. Again, for what its worth, word that DL's Space Mountain was going to go down for a re-build had leaked out long before April of that year, even though it wasn't scheduled to go down until September.
    Last edited by Raidermatt; 11-30-2006 at 04:52 AM.

monkeyrawr20 is offline A-Ticket holder
    ive been on the one in disneyland and the one in disney world both in the summer of 2005 and while ive always been on the WDW version and been on the DL version once since it was my first time there i actually liked it better than the WDW one. The WDW one needs alittle updating. It may be a classic but they need to refurb it before it becomes way beyond repairing like with what happened with 20,000 leagues under the sea.
    If there is a kid annoying you on this monorail please open the doors and throw him out. Just Kidding and as you look to the left you see a happy married couple. as we go by please open ur doors and throw food at them

ttubbie is offline A-Ticket holder
    I can only compare WDW's SM and the Paris version and I must say SM Mission 2 at Disneyland Paris is a great ride. Not only has it a terrific soundtrack, it is much more spectacular than the Florida ride. It has loopings and corkscrews, therefore one of the most sensational rides in the park.

disneyimagineer is offline You may notice that I'm not all here myself
    The Space Mountain in Paris may have inversions, but I still think that our Space Mountain is a better ride. As much as I love looping coasters, I would be happier to see ours without any inversions because more kids would be able to go on it. I'm just saying, if you want high-speed looping thrill rides, MGM is right down the road. Magic Kingdom is supposed to be a park when entire families should be able to go on rides together; and putting inversions on Space Mountain would ruin that ride for most families.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."-Walt Disney
    TTFN, Ta Ta For Now!
    Can you stand on your head?

BouncingStripes is offline A-Ticket holder
    I took my iPod with me on Matterhorn one time and played the Space Mountain music. The effect was amazing. It intensified the ride so much. After spending a year at DL, going on Space Mountain at WDW was somewhat of a let-down. A good refurb on the track, lighting, and music would really make this ride awesome again. (BTW, I got to see the inside of Space Mountain at DL one time when they stopped all of the cars on the track and turned the lights on. You could hear this collective "whoa!" as we all got to see the track and other systems. And, of course, they let us all go through again.)

Quote Originally Posted by BouncingStripes View Post
    I took my iPod with me on Matterhorn one time and played the Space Mountain music. The effect was amazing. It intensified the ride so much.
    Great idea! I'm gonna try that with Everest.
    TTFN, Ta Ta For Now!

NH Disney Drmr is offline B-Ticket Holder
    New Hampshire - too far away from the magic :(
    I'm afraid I am a fan of the classics. I would hate to see it change to the point where it would be a copy of something like the Rockin' Roller Coaster. I remember Space Mountain on my very first visit. I was afraid to ride, but my mother (a non roller coaster fan) took my sister on it. I remember my mom's expression when she came off. It was a little greenish.

Of course, that was back in the 70's when SM was new. I understand that it lacks the luster of today's thrill rides. I am not totally for or against the change. I just hope it is not too drastic.

I will have to be sure that my girls get on Space Mountain in case it changes. Neither one has been on it before. I want them to experience the original before it changes. They are young enough to enjoy the mild thrills it offers. It will give them great memories.
    NH Disney Drmr

October 5, 2013....Mother
    & Daughter trip. She's 16, I'm 40+...Who says Disney is just for kids.

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    I hope they dont change it into "rockin' space mountain". I dont have a problem with a refurb, the rock music doesnt make any sense to me though. We have RnRc, I dont see why SM would need rock music. Plus it doesnt fit with the theme whatsoever!
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I wouldn't want to see an increase in thrills. Half the reason I like Space Mountain is because it's not as "thrilling" as other coasters. It's a good "starter coaster." At least it was for me however, if done right, Rock and Roll can fit with ANY THEME!
    Last edited by Dragonrider1227; 08-11-2007 at 11:16 PM.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider1227 View Post
    I wouldn't want to see an increase in thrills. Half the reason I like Space Mountain is because it's not as "thrilling" as other coasters. It's a good "starter coaster." At least it was for me however, if done right, Rock and Roll can fit with ANY THEME!
    I agree. My wife hates roller coasters but I have gotten her talked into riding SM when we go back by watching youtube videos, especially the one that was recorded with the lights on. If they refurb it before we get back down there and she rides it I might be one dead dad.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

I really wish they would. The current Space Mountain is too slow and too predictable. They could also somehow muffle the brakes; that would make it seem like you're going faster.
    TTFN, Ta Ta For Now!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234