Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss space mountain!? in the News & Rumors forums; oooooooooooo i found this article on another site: Space Mountain may be closing ... Author: Jumboshrmp :: Posted:09 May 2006 4:30 pm While still a rumor, it is very possible ...

space mountain!?

oooooooooooo i found this article on another site:

Space Mountain may be closing ...

Author: Jumboshrmp :: Posted:09 May 2006 4:30 pm

While still a rumor, it is very possible that Walt Disney World's Space Mountain will be going under a complete rehab, completely refurbished and rebuilt from scratch in 2007 or 2008.

While nothing has been officially announced by Disney, some Cast members are hinting that it will happen.

On CMI Radio Episode #3, host Mikey Silva interviewed WDW Cast Member "Ace", who works at Space Mountain, who said: "We're going to be going under refurbishment in 2007, in which they are actually going to rebuild the ride from scratch. They are going to put in a lot more futuristic elements, because this is an outdated roller coaster."

There are five Space Mountain's at various Disney Parks. Walt Disney World's Space Mountain was the first one, and is 31 years old. It is also the most dated. While a classic attraction, Space Mountain is rough, not very dark compared to the others, and quite behind in technology. Also, it is the only Space Mountain to not feature an on ride soundtrack. Recently, Disneyland's Space Mountain has been refurbished completely for the 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth. Disneyland Paris's Space Mountain: De la terre la lune, has also been updated with new effects and a new soundtrack, as well as a new name, Space Mountain: Mission 2. Because all of the other Space Mountains have such a technological advantage over the original, many fans have been predicting that Walt Disney World would be the next to recieve a refurbishment.

Based on the changes that WDI (Walt Disney Imagineering) has made to the other Space Mountains, the the rumored upcoming refurbishment may include things such as new track (and possibly a new layout), new (and possibly re-designed) trains, an original on-ride soundtrack, and new special effects using the technology we have in 2007. Walt Disney World's original track layout most likely will not be replaced with the same layout that is shared by the Space Mountains in Anaheim, Paris and Tokyo, because their layouts were designed to fit in a building with a 200 ft. diameter. However, in the Florida version, Imagineers will have 300 ft to work with, allowing more spacious layout, or two separate tracks, the way it stands currently.
    wow what do you guys think?
    Adrien

Your 14 year old disney expert!

If I go crazy, will you still call me superman?

Pooq45 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. But I'm sure some people will be upset. But I went on the one in Disneyland in Janruary, and it was very smooth and definatley more advanced from when I went on the one at Disney World. But then again, thats just my thoughts on it.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I could see them remodeling it. If you have ever seen Space Mountain with the lights on, you can see there is plenty of room to make it bigger.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    OH no, I hope it's open when we go. That's the 1st ride we always go on in MK
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

meanmice is offline A-Ticket holder
    I don't always ride space mountain when I visit the parks. Refresh my memory, is it steel or wooden? I seem to remember it having a wooden coaster type of feel to it. If they change it, I wouldn't be all that heart broken.

i think its steel btw have a great time posting!
    Adrien

Your 14 year old disney expert!

If I go crazy, will you still call me superman?

aeronautxearth is offline Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse!
    I'm actually excited for the update. I'll miss the old SM of course, but 30 years and change can't hurt it! I hope it's like Disneyland Paris's Mission 2, personally.
    Tina

JMSuperHeroTeam is offline Maura Colleen the Makeup Queen
    Space Mountain may be closing ...

First of all, to say that Space Mountain is closing is WAAAYYYY different than a refurb!! You scared me!!

I think it a rehab/refurb will be totally welcomed at the MK. MK hasn't had a new "thrill ride" since 1992, right? So if they started from scratch, it would be like a new thrill ride there. An update on an old classic.

I'm totally for it! But I guess we'll have to watch and see what happens...

KUNGALOOSH!!!

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    I heard they were going to replace Space Mountain with a Pooh themed kiddie roller coaster!!!!
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ToddBreakey
    I heard they were going to replace Space Mountain with a Pooh themed kiddie roller coaster!!!!
    I hope you're seriously kidding.
    Tina

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    Of course I'm kidding. That would be one the worst sins in the history of Disney if they did that!!!!!
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

I was about to scream, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!" So that everyone on here could hear me!!!!!

hahahaha
    Tina

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    OMG YAY!!

I can't wait to see it!!!
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddBreakey

And at the end they could have you run over Mr. Toad...

Actually, I could see how they might redo it so you have to walk through more of the store at the end. It has the quickest exit that I know of through the ending store...

Minnie_Mouse007 is offline "Laughter is America's most important export."-Walt Disney
    Oh! If the are refurbing it, I wonder what they will do with the TTA track! Maybe it'll be a sneak preview of what's going to be comming! That would be cool!
    ~Elyse
    GO KNIGHTS!
    I'm a baby Knight! UCF '13

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast