Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Spaceship Earth in the News & Rumors forums; Any news about Spaceship Earth. I heard rumors that the ride would be turned into another indoor roller coaster. This is just what Disney needs a duplicate of Space Mountain. ...
    Myron is offline B-Ticket Holder

Spaceship Earth

Any news about Spaceship Earth. I heard rumors that the ride would be turned into another indoor roller coaster. This is just what Disney needs a duplicate of Space Mountain. I hope this rumor is just that.

Contemporary05 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    You're talking about "Project Gemini". Something that Mike Eisner wanted to do in the early to mid 90s. Won't come true because the ride structure in Spaceship Earth is part of the essential support holding up the entire sphere. Spaceship Earth is safe from roller coaster treatment. There are quite a few topics on this subject.
    Facebook Me!

"Don't talk when I'm SHOUTING!'
    "Putting you in a chicken is cruelty to animals!"
    -General Knowledge

dbm20th is offline D-Ticket Holder
    They looked into doing this, and for one reason or another, decided it would be too much of an investment. The rumors was that it was to be called "Time Racers", or something like that.

SE is a weird situation. I believe it is still the most attended ride in all of WDW, but Disney recognizes that its space sould certainly be better served with a serious e-ticket. It's not going anywhere anytime soon. But I think the writing is on the wall for SE.
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."

Mouse Extra
    determined to feed the Disney Addiction
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

wow this is a old rumor
    Adrien

Your 14 year old disney expert!

If I go crazy, will you still call me superman?

sterm26 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Se

I love SE, it always the first thing I go on when I go to EPCOT....but my 7 YO daughter is always mumbling "boring!" halfway through!

They turned "World of Motion" into Test Track, and they demolished "Horizons" to build Mission Space. They jammed "Soarin" into the Land pavilion (love the attraction, don't see the connection with it's pavilion), brought Ellen into the "Universe of Energy", removed the Dreamfinder from "Imagination", and are making the Living Seas into Nemo-land. Who's to say that they won't turn SE into a thrill ride? The original idea of EPCOT is being erased by the reality of 21st century visitor's expectations. It's rapidly becoming just another theme-park, which is attached to a mini-World's Fair.

It's sad to see old favorites go, but, as they say, Progress must Pro-gress! As long as they leave the MK alone.....
    WDW offsite 1979, '83, '86, '87, '89,' 93

ASMo November 2003 (Love Bug)

Pop Century February 2005 (50's)

Pop Century February 2006 (60's)

Pop Century August 2006 (60's)

Coronado Springs February 2009

Disneyland August 1988 (L.A.)

Disneyland August 2005 (Anaheim Plaza)

"His name's Tron, fights for the Users..."

Hakuna Matata is offline Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!
    Wishing on a star for my prince to come...
    it would not be a good idea to drastically change spaceship earth, it is a classic attraction and many people would be upset.
    It's our problem-free philosophy Hakuna Matata!
    I've been to Disney World 22 times and can't wait to go back!

yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    sterm26 said
    They jammed "Soarin" into the Land pavilion
    uhh... they didn't "jam" it in, they built on to the The Land's building
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Mouse is offline I'm In Disney!!!
    I don't want to see spaceship earth disappear. IT would be cool though to have both SE and a roller coaster in that big ball. Imagine this- The roller coaster was an outdoor coaster like everest and they just put the loading and unloading docks in the big ball. I think it would be good for Epcot to see another good atraction.
    MOUSE