Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss 2 Ways to Ride "Mission Space"? in the News & Rumors forums; I read that the attraction "Mission Space" now has 2 ways to ride: the original way and a ride without the "G" force so guests don't get motion sickness. How ...
    Myron is offline B-Ticket Holder

2 Ways to Ride "Mission Space"?

I read that the attraction "Mission Space" now has 2 ways to ride: the original way and a ride without the "G" force so guests don't get motion sickness. How can this be? How can the same attraction offer 2 ways to ride? Is this possible? If true, why doesn't Disney offer this alternative at other attractions (Space Mountain, Expedition Everest). ?

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    They can offer two ways to ride Mission:Space because of the way the ride is designed. There are 4 "launch bays" - each of which has its own centrifuge (the ride cars are all attached to a central hub, like spokes of a wheel. There are 4 of these set-ups). To create the g-forces on the ride, the cars are spun around the hub, like rotating a wheel very fast. The cars also have effects build into them - shaking, tilt, etc. On the 'lite' version of M:S, they don't spin around the hub, but you still get the movie and the in-car effects. Since there are 4 centrifuges, they can turn off the spinning on one or two as demand dictates, and leave the others spinning for those who can stomach the full version.

Star Tours and Body Wars were also able to offer a 'stationary' version on request, if the lines weren't too long, because they had multiple simulators and could turn off the motion on one simulator for the length of a ride.

You can't have a stationary or 'lite' version of a roller coaster - the physics of motion require the cars to move at a certain speed or else they can't make the hills. That's why they have chicken exits - so you can enjoy all the theming they put into the queues of these attractions, but not ride the actual coaster.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    2 simulators spin and 2 don't
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

swapilot is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm looking forward to the "Non-Spin" ride. That way I can enjoy it without having a heart attack

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    I still don't want to step foot on that even with the new version. I was miserable from start to finish on the ride and don't ever want to get back on. I had the worst headache for days.
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

OK, there are 2 versions of "Mission:Space. Are there any other WDW attractions which offer 2 versions or is this one unique? I was also thinking what could happen if guests accidentally went on the wrong line, if there are 2 separate lines. If guests have medical conditions and get into the version with the spinning centrifuge; this could lead to plenty of lawsuits for Disney. Maybe 2 versions is not such a good idea.

aeronautxearth is offline Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse!
    The two lines are separated and there is no way you can get "messed up" in line, because they give you separate, color-coded cards for each version (respectively). The cards state very clear which version you are about to board. At the front of the line a Cast Member checks the cards to make sure you are where you are supposed to be.
    Tina

I probably wouldn't ride "Mission:Space" anyway. Frankly, I don't trust them. The attendants could get distracted and put me on the wrong line. By skipping this attraction, it would be my way to protest the destruction of the "Horizons" pavilion.

CM_Roo is offline A-Ticket holder
    It is 99% impossible for you to be "put" in the wrong line. As stated, you are asked upon entering which version you would like to ride, and handed a color-coded "launch ticket." This ticket is checked, re-checked, and re-re-checked as you proceed through the queue to Team Dispatch where your ticket is collected and you are placed into the appropriate Ready Room. Everything in the building is color coded, and as I mentioned, it is nearly impossible to end up on the wrong version.

You are also given the opportunity to switch from the intense version to the less intense version several times before being assigned a team.

The only way I can see you ending up on the wrong one is if you ask for the intense (spinning) version rather than the less intense version.

Valawen9 is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    I'll be riding the downgraded version lol. I'm very very very motion sicknessy.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    I'd be curious just to compare the two versions, although I LOVE the attraction in its original format.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    I think I will stick to the "Please dont throw me around in circles at like a million miles an hour till I puke" rule when riding rides. Tame version for me

Late nite Lou?

Sledge is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    The Intense Training bothered me a little bit for about twenty minutes and made my sister sick for the rest of the night. We saved it for the very last ride of the evening, which I think is good advice for anybody wanting to give it a try and not wanting to risk ruining their entire day at Epcot. Would I ride it twice in a day? Heck no. Twice in a trip? Probably not. I think the Intense Training is a very cool ride that needs to be tried at least once in a lifetime. I'll see what the Green Team (less intense training) is like next month, but to me it sounds pretty lame.

nicks_ahoy is offline Jungle VIP

Unhappy Sad Story

I give the original version . But do feel good about the less intense one ( wouldn't ride it), because i was there when someone died on it. I was waiting to go in the room when they shut it down. They sent me and my cousin to the other one but i overheard a cast member talking to another while on there way to the crisis r.i.p
    Only Bad Disney Memory ever to befall me!
    Last edited by nicks_ahoy; 09-09-2006 at 01:58 AM. Reason: addition

CM_Roo is offline A-Ticket holder
    There haven't been any major accidents at Mission: SPACE since they started the two versions of the ride, and definitely have not been any accidents on the less-intense side of the building.

Am I just reading your post wrong, nicks_ahoy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast