Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Re: Carousel of Progress in the News & Rumors forums; I was worried there for a minute! COP was closed last time I was at WDW and I am really looking forward to seeing it again this time. 2 weeks ...
    tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    I was worried there for a minute! COP was closed last time I was at WDW and I am really looking forward to seeing it again this time. 2 weeks tomorrow and I will be there!
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

Mouse is offline I'm In Disney!!!
    COP is open becuase I was just at Disney almost 2 weeks ago. Idk why its not listed on the map. Maybe they just didn't want to redo the map.
    MOUSE

swapilot is offline A-Ticket holder
    I really don't care for it, But my wife loves it! She gets mad when I fall asleep on it about halfway through.

bsbkmacgowan is offline A-Ticket holder
    We'll always hold CoP near and dear... on our very first trip to WDW 5 years ago now (it doesn't seem possible that it was that long ago, and even worse that we haven't been back in nearly 3 years!) one of the first rides we went on was the TTA. Our younger daughter (who was only 3 at the time) became absolutely terrified of the portion inside Space Mt - suffering from an unknown-until-that-very-moment fear of the dark, or as she cried out "deep deep dark!" (I've got a picture of her with the biggest, "scared-est" Bambi eyes you've ever seen!)

Well, as soon as we exited from the TTA, we decided the best thing to do was to head over to CoP. I had been on it at Disneyland (back when I was 8 during my family's one-day trip in 1969) so I knew it was a "safe" option for the wee one. Plus, we figured she'd have 20 to 30 minutes to calm down and relax in the AC.

Well, Kellie fell in love with that ride... she even got to the point that she was singing along and as we'd leave one "era" she'd call out to the father "we'll see you in a few years!" It was just too cute.

Every time I hear the rumors that the powers-that-be want to shutter it, I just want to cry.

Besides our personal experience... it's really the only thing on the entire WDW property that has that "Walt-ified" aspect to it, at least to the best of my knowledge. Personally, I'd like them to keep it operational if for no other reason than that.

Wonder how we could go about getting it declared a national historic place?

Sandy (yeah, I'm the sentimental one... I'll admit it... I cry whenever I walk out onto Main Street, USA...)
    Brian, Sandy, Bonnie & Kellie

Nov. 6, 2002... what a day!

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" W.E.D.

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    No trip to WDW and MK wouldn't be complete without a ride on CoP!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

Myron is offline B-Ticket Holder

Carousel of Progress Seasonally Opened

The Carousel of Progress is my favorite attraction, yet I hear that it is not always open. This was one of Walt's favorite attractions and he personally supervised all of its details. If alive, Walt would never let it get closed. It represents the America of the past, the time when Walt was growing up. I visited the Carousel before anybody else here on the forum. I rode it on April 22, 1964 at the New York World's Fair. It was the very first day and there were technical problems with the carousel's rotation. The Carousel only rotated after 2 performances, so I saw each segment 2 times. I was thrilled. I never saw audio-animatronics before so I thought they were actual people. I fell in love with the attraction and rode it over 100 times. I followed it to Disneyland and then to WDW where they changed the song to "The Best Years Of Your Life" since GE no longer sponsored it. Then, GE sponsored "Horizons", but ended that, too. Sadly, the original host of the Carousel Theatre, Rex Allen, was tragically killed in Arizona in a car accident. His unique voice stills appears as the current grandfather. The Carousel of Progress is as American as apple pie and must not be demolished!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I remember riding CoP for the first time in the early 80's. We loved it. Rode it again another time, and unfortunately there were some non-english speaking guests who talked through the whole thing and rather ruined it for us. My husband and I rode it again a year or so ago. It wasn't as unique as the earlier times through since some of the things of the "future" are almost the "here". It's still good entertainment and I ride it whenever I can talk family members into going on. It does remind me that no matter what is "new" now will one day be old fashioned.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Tink99 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Corny as the COP may be, it is still one of the WDW classics. I remember being on that when I was a kid in the 70's and whenever I visit the park, I have to go, just for old times sake! At least the lines aren't as long as they used to be!!!

Myron is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Yes, I agree. The "Carousel" is very corny and is outdated. I'm sure youngsters would be put to sleep but for those Disney buffs or those who remember the "good old days", it is a national treasure. The ride should be exhibited at the Smithsonian if it ever must be closed.

dougitmcnuggit is offline Cedar Point New Coaster '07!!
    Frontiertown, Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio, USA
    You know, If I worked there, and Disney closed CoP, I'd be begging them to sell it to the museum!!

nicks_ahoy is offline Jungle VIP
    Thank goodness I love the CoP!
    I found it out of what i refer to as my Medium Rare luck!
    There weren't enough FastPasses for my entire Family to go on Space Mountain when i was 10 i had already been on so i didnt mind. So me and my aunt went to go back over to frontierland. i dont know what but something caught my eye so we went in. I have hearted it ever since!

Sorry everyone for practically writing my life story on most of my posts but every memory has a story to be shared.

Sledge is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    The older I get the more it grows on me. The subject of what would Walt do if he were still alive is a touchy subject to a lot of people. Personally I think Walt wouldn't have kept CoP around forever just because it is a classic. Walt was a firm believer in "plussing" an attraction. He was always big in keeping the attractions exciting and new and wouldn't have wanted it to stay around forever. CoP won't always be drawing in crowds unless it changes.

Kari+Sam=Holly is offline A-Ticket holder

3 possiblities for CoP

1st As far as I know the ride has been on the map all the time for the past year. As of yesterday it is attraction #43.
    2nd Something needs to happen in there to upgrade it. These are my ideas.
    a) Retrovamp it, make it exactly like Walt Designed it only with upgraded technology. It would be nostalgic.
    b) Historize it, Make it historically accurate. It is supposed to be a chronicle of a families life through out the 20th century. As is, it depicts an innacurate projection of the way we were supposed to be in 1999. Change it to just be more real.
    c) Total revamp-- depict a century in the life of a 21st century family. Make it multi-cultural, rather than showing different seasons in the same families life, make it different familes.
    Anyway that's my idea.

Sledge is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari+Sam=Holly View Post
    c) Total revamp-- depict a century in the life of a 21st century family. Make it multi-cultural, rather than showing different seasons in the same families life, make it different familes.
    Anyway that's my idea.
    The point is to show how one family PROGRESSed. If you have different families it doesn't show how much changes as easily as seeing the same family in each scene. One would wonder how much is PROGRESS and how much is just cultural differences coming into play. You could see something that is a cultural thing and wonder if thats how it was during that time period for everybody, or if it was just for that particular ethnicity. By seeing the same family we see how the same background, lifestyle, beliefs, etc. have progressed over the years. I tried my best to explain the idea behind it. Hopefully that made sense.

Minnie_Mouse007 is offline "Laughter is America's most important export."-Walt Disney
    I just think they need to update the last scene beacause it's 2006. Maybe for WDW's upcomming 35th(correct me if i'm wrong) they'll update it.
    ~Elyse
    GO KNIGHTS!
    I'm a baby Knight! UCF '13

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast