Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Al Lutz sneaks us some Miday Madness in the News & Rumors forums; Also from MiceAge. He's talking about the DCA version, but it seems they will be identical... The basic plotline to this attraction is that the Toy Story gang has created ...
    dbm20th is offline D-Ticket Holder

Al Lutz sneaks us some Miday Madness

Also from MiceAge. He's talking about the DCA version, but it seems they will be identical...

The basic plotline to this attraction is that the Toy Story gang has created a series of midway games for you to play, and they are all themed to their individual character. Riders will sit in rather traditional looking dark ride vehicles that have a cannon mounted on a rotating turret for each seat. The vehicles will travel through the show building and come to a stop in each show scene, where a different midway game is laid out for riders to play. The plan is to have a half dozen different midway games offered up to each car, with a bonus round at the end to determine the winner in each car.

After an animatronic Mr. Potato Head acting as a midway barker lures you in to play, you move from one game to the next during the 5 minute long ride. For instance, the vehicles would come upon Little Bo Peeps Balloon Pop where you play the famous water gun race found at most county fairs. That would be followed up by the Green Army Men Shooting Range with moving targets coming at you, or Barbie's Beach Ball Bash throwing balls into rings. A Frontierland-style shooting gallery and a Rex the Dinosaur Red Hot Dino Dash amongst lava flows and erupting volcanoes are also planned.

What has the designers most excited, and where the huge costs come into play, is the interactive elements and extremely sophisticated technology needed to pull all of this off. The riders would be wearing 3-D glasses, and the animatronics and some of the special effects would be controlled much like the Roz figure on the Monsters Inc. ride where specific lines and reactions are directed at specific riders. It all promises to be very impressive and WDI plans on offering up several "How Did They Do That?!" moments throughout the ride. Older folks may find it a bit too frantic, but much like Buzz Lightyear the kids will instantly take to it and likely outscore their parents on the first ride. With all of the randomization and individuality offered up by each show scene, it's also an attraction that is going to have immense repeatability.
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."

Mouse Extra
    determined to feed the Disney Addiction
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

dxer07002 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I don't know if I like the sound of this now....
    TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...
    BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

aeronautxearth is offline Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse!
    That seems so intense! But I really like how Disney is becoming a lot more interactive and personalized.
    Tina

Sledge is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    It's called Midway Mania and here are some more details...

Quote Originally Posted by Mice Chat
    With most of the news leaked about what exactly we can expect with Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Disneyland fans are now scrambling to figure out exactly what this rumored new Midway Mania attraction is all about. While it hasn't officially been announced yet, and Matt Ouimet wouldn't even mention it at his last big management update in the Hyperion Theater, it's no secret that the ride has received the green-light for installation in both California Adventure (DCA) and out at the MGM Studios theme park at Walt Disney World.

After the latest DCA Placemaking project was scrapped, the project originally scheduled to get underway this fall to try and help the much maligned entrance plaza at the theme park nobody loves, the folks both in Imagineering (WDI) and Team Disney Anaheim (TDA) who were assigned to the future projects team for DCA were instructed to clam up entirely about anything new coming to DCA. And that's not because there isn't anything new coming to this troubled park, but rather that with each passing month with John Lasseter on board the possibility of getting even grander things off the ground for Anaheim seems more and more likely.
    First out of the gate for DCA though will be Midway Mania, now slated for a Thanksgiving, 2008 opening since that timeframe worked so well for Monsters Inc. this past holiday season. The Midway Mania project will include a heavy dose of "Placemaking" for Paradise Pier to try and erase the failed contemporary setting done on the cheap back in '01 and replace it with a more period-specific Victorian-era theme for that section of DCA.

While the area surrounding the new ride will go back in time, the ride itself will be using very modern technology. Think of a souped-up, larger version of Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin and you have the basic idea of what the ride system itself will be like. But it's the effects that will make this shooting arcade game annihilate the assumption that this is just a little C-Ticket dark ride. With the money they are looking into pouring into the queue and overall facility, this ride might even surpass the D-Ticket status of Roger Rabbit or Buzz Lightyear and become the family friendly E-Ticket that DCA has never had.

The current Midway Mania plan has large vehicles seating eight people back to back spinning through the show building. Riders will be wearing 3-D glasses like the popular Spiderman ride out at Universal's Islands of Adventure park. But while this 3-D technology shares similarities with that attraction, it's the interactivity that will set it apart. Using flashlights themed to X-rays, riders will be able to use their "X-ray powers" to see through the walls of ride structures and behind the scenes of this arcade game as the Pixar Characters steal the show. Riders will be encouraged to aim their X-rays all over the place, as seemingly each shooting gallery show scene will have an endless array of behind-the-scenes antics and witty surprises going on.

The advanced technology is such that the hidden show elements won't activate their audio and special effects until they've been discovered by an X-ray wielding rider, and right there you've got a repeatability factor that will send this ride through the roof. That it's being shepherded through its design by both seasoned Imagineers and animators from Pixar has everyone expecting that it will be a huge hit. A lot of this same technology is also being used for the new Monsters Inc. attraction being built in Tokyo Disneyland's Tomorrowland, and the big-spending Oriental Land Company has footed the bill for a lot of the development costs.

John Lasseter has obviously taken a keen interest in this Midway Mania project as well, since it will feature his Pixar characters. The Imagineers are finally waking up to the realities of working for someone like Lasseter, as he is a definite change from all of the previous WDI head honchos they've reported to for over a decade. The first hint that Lasseter was a new breed of executive came this past winter and early spring as John and his animators were given tours and overviews of the Submarine Voyage project. John has personally added over a dozen major changes to the Submarine Voyage project, even after concrete was being poured and the final plans were thought to have been wrapped up months before.

John feels no guilt about adding to the expense of the Submarine Voyage project if it means a better show for the audience, and that's left several key Imagineers with their jaws on the floor after John leaves a meeting or walks through the construction site.
    Last edited by Sledge; 09-14-2006 at 06:04 PM.

dbm20th is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    It's called Midway Mania and here are some more details...
    My bad, ad Lutz's article even says that. I don't know where the heck I got Madness from???

Where is that info from?
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."

Mouse Extra
    determined to feed the Disney Addiction
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

Sledge is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    It's cool. Lots of people refer to it as Midway Madness. Not sure why though.

That particular piece of information came from MiceChat. I usually don't check out MiceChat but I ran a search on Midway Mania and stumbled upon it so I thought I'd share. I had heard things personally in the past about the X-ray thing happening so it sounds like that is pretty definite for MM.

nicks_ahoy is offline Jungle VIP
    What ever happened to the good old fashioned rides like splash mountain and pirates can't they live with a regular old thrill ride JK sounds like a kid ride though

The only thing I hate about these interactive rides is you have to hit a target in order to activate things. That means you have the potential to miss a lot of the ride. I'm not a big fan of these types of rides for that reason. The 3D thing sounds neat though.

dxer07002 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Sledge.. I agree with you.. Even though these rides are fun, you tend to miss alot...
    TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...
    BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

After reading through all this again I REALLY wish this was opening sooner. It isn't like EE where we can see the progress as it goes.