Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Alien part leaveing the Great Movie Ride! in the News & Rumors forums; "(come on an Alien moving less then 2 MPH coming from the ceiling is not scary)" Hey I watched some of those movies as a child! It'a traumatic! It's like ...
    hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder
    "(come on an Alien moving less then 2 MPH coming from the ceiling is not scary)"

Hey I watched some of those movies as a child! It'a traumatic! It's like seeing sharks and spiders on TV, you know they're not really there, but it still freaks me out!
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

mightymouse is offline A-Ticket holder
    I Never Thought The Alien Scene Really Fit Into The Ride. Every Other Scene Is From Old Classic Movies Or Very Famous Actors. But The Potc Movies Are Not Classics Yet. How Bout Something Else Like "gone With The Wind."

aeronautxearth is offline Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse!
    I would love a Gone With the Wind scene! I love that movie. However, I think alien fits because it's "unique"...it covers the horror/sci fi genres that would otherwise be left out (and those are huge genres to overlook) I think if GWTW was in there, people would also raise a stink about racism. Cest la vie.
    Tina

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    While I wouldn't be shocked to see a refurb of this attraction... I do not believe it will be to POTC. Why? Because nothing else in this ride is related to a "Disney" film but rather to other classics.

I do agree with the folks who have said the ride is in need... especially with the person who said the CMs involved are less than enthusiastic. I remember the first time I rode this when MGM had just opened. It was so much fun. Then the last three times I went it just wasn't the same. The biggest issue I had was with the fact that they were sending too many cars through at once... and had tied two together. I'm assuming they did this to make lines on busy days move faster but I'd much rather wait in line for 2 hours if it's going to be worth it than 1 if it's going to stink. I was in a wheelchair the last time and was put in the very back of the second car. I could barely see what was going on in the gangster scenes. Then we got to the Wizard of Oz theme. Instead of it just being our group we were joined up with the group in front of us. Their car(s) were closest to the action. All we could see were a few random munchkins popping out of flowers and windows. As if that wasn't bad enough, they had "tripped" whatever makes this scene begin before we completely arrived... so the Witch had already appeared and begun to speak, causing our group to miss a lot.

Still... I don't know that taking the Alien scene out is the answer... maybe make it a little more exciting than a slow moving creature dropping from the ceiling to drool on you. I suppose this is maybe a similar issue to why Alien Encounter was replaced with Stich? Is it just "too scary" for little ones? I dunno, there isn't much in MGM that is "little one friendly" (other than the small Playhouse Disney area) so why start now.

Ok sorry... done ranting. This just happens to be one of those things I'm passionate about. LOL!
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 11-13-2006 at 02:27 PM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    ^I always thought it was funny that the Wicked Witch was the one being advertised as being 'too scary for young children'
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJen View Post

Still... I don't know that taking the Alien scene out is the answer... maybe make it a little more exciting than a slow moving creature dropping from the ceiling to drool on you. I suppose this is maybe a similar issue to why Alien Encounter was replaced with Stich? Is it just "too scary" for little ones? I dunno, there isn't much in MGM that is "little one friendly" (other than the small Playhouse Disney area) so why start now.

Yeah, I think the whole point of only taking that one part out (if that's true) would be to make it less scary. I wouldn't think they would want to make it any scarier; it's not a thrill ride. I would love the whole family to be able to go on it, but I won't take my daughter on it if the alien stays. To be really honest, it used to be an MGM favorite of mine, but I didn't even bother going on it last time I was there and that says a lot.
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJen View Post
    While I wouldn't be shocked to see a refurb of this attraction... I do not believe it will be to POTC. Why? Because nothing else in this ride is related to a "Disney" film but rather to other classics.
    Except for that Mary Poppins bit.

I'd like to see this ride updated.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Optimus Stitch is offline Count down to Florida Vacation begins!!!!
    Is there a scene in there about Bed Knobs and Broomsticks?
    My dream is to play all day long at WDW!!!!

mrp4352 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Didn't Disney recently 'break up' with MGM? If so, I wonder if Disney retained the rights to use the images in the Great Movie Ride... Just wondering aloud here...

I also think that this ride is desperately in need of a major refurb. Changing the movies at the end was a start, but there is so much more that should be done. If it takes the Pirates tie-in to get a refurb on the ride, then I'll take it. Let's get this ride back to its original glory.

Oh, and I must admit - last time I rode it, we had fantastic cast members! Very into it, both the tour guide and our gangster.
    Please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic!

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    Except for that Mary Poppins bit.
    DOH! Man I forgot that!!

Quote Originally Posted by hgraber View Post
    Yeah, I think the whole point of only taking that one part out (if that's true) would be to make it less scary. I wouldn't think they would want to make it any scarier; it's not a thrill ride. I would love the whole family to be able to go on it, but I won't take my daughter on it if the alien stays.
    Oh gosh by no means did I mean doing something that would make it a thrill ride. I think I was being more sarcastic than anything, really implying that I didn't think the Alien scene by itself was the problem. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Heat View Post
    ^I always thought it was funny that the Wicked Witch was the one being advertised as being 'too scary for young children'
    Exactly where I was going with my point. I think with how benign (and slow) the Alien scene is, the Witch may even be more frightening. She's a lot more animated and obvious. I totally missed the Alien on my last trip... I was looking for it and it turns out it had dropped for the car in front of me (another angst with the whole tying of two cars together).

Ok, yes the Wizard of Oz is more a "children's movie" but there are tons of films represented on this ride that children have never seen or heard of for that matter (i.e. Casablanca etc.). I guess to me MGM has always been a little more aimed at adults than the other 3 parks... in my opinion. It's not like the Alien, or the Witch for that matter, have been scary enough to lower attendance on this ride. It still has one of the longest lines of any in the park when I go. I guess all I'm saying is, if we're going to remove the Alien to make this more "child friendly" then you might as well remove all the references to movies older than maybe 10 years... because I know very few, if any, children "get" the Casablanca reference or the John Wayne reference etc.
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 11-14-2006 at 01:32 PM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Stitch View Post
    Maybe an alien popping out of the CM's chest?
    Now THAT might freak me out.

dxer07002 is offline Fastpass Holder
    The alien will be replaced by Michael Eisner.. He will be jumping out yelling GIVE ME YOUR MONEY... LOL.. joking...

I have not heard anything about this, but, with Disney removing Alien Encounter cause it was too scary, you never know if this is going to go bye bye too...
    TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...
    BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Quote Originally Posted by dxer07002 View Post
    The alien will be replaced by Michael Eisner.. He will be jumping out yelling GIVE ME YOUR MONEY... LOL.. joking...

Optimus Stitch is offline Count down to Florida Vacation begins!!!!
    It's going to be replaced with a scene from the movie Scarface.
    My dream is to play all day long at WDW!!!!

Vegitabeta is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Stitch View Post
    It's going to be replaced with a scene from the movie Scarface.
    Oh lol can you imagine?!

I still think they should blast the Titanic scene in there where they are standing on the front of the ship...
    "The Immortal Captain Jack Sparrow." It has such a lovely ring to it...-Captain Jack Sparrow
    Disneyland Resort Paris trip report and photos: Here

MousePad and Magical Mountain Member

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast