Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss El Rio del Tiempo will be closed for refurbishment Jan 2, 2007 - April 1st, 2007 in the News & Rumors forums; monkeys? Nah you gotta make it more "authentic". More like bulls...yes the ones the Spanish bull fighters try to trick. They are the viscious ugly animals running past them....
    disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    monkeys? Nah you gotta make it more "authentic". More like bulls...yes the ones the Spanish bull fighters try to trick. They are the viscious ugly animals running past them.

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

aeronautxearth is offline Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse!
    Quote Originally Posted by disney fanatic View Post
    Yeah, but have you ever noticed, that if you ask children or the younger guests what their favorite park is, their answer will be MK as the majority?
    Exactly, which that majority will probably always continue, this could be Epcot's way of trying out a new way of livening up the learning experience...albeit a not-so-applauded one for the older set.
    Tina

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    I've seen a bullfight during my time in Europe, Bri (and will never watch one voluntarily again). "Tricking" is hardly the word for what's done to those critters, and I don't give the matadors much in the way of marks for courage. I honestly found myself cheering for the bull, even though he's a goner win, lose or draw (in order to get riled enough for the ring, a bull gets skewered repeatedly with long, nasty tassled hooks, and will probably wind up bleeding to death regardless. I'd probably be upset enough to try to use some matador's face for traction as well if I were in his place.......).

This is one thing I never understood the appeal for in the culture, given how compassionate the nation seemed in other aspects--as I've said before, if I ever break down and have children of my own, I'd want them raised in Spain. Ironically, the vast majority of the Spanish deem American boxing as "too violent" to watch. Go figure.
    Last edited by Conceited Ape; 11-28-2006 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Typos......why'd it HAVE to be typos?

Raidermatt is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disney fanatic View Post
    Yeah, but have you ever noticed, that if you ask children or the younger guests what their favorite park is, their answer will be MK as the majority? I mean i guess children like rides, but EPCOT is my favorite. However, it hasn't always been.
    Very true. So, what to do? Make every park like the Magic Kingdom, catering to the younger guests through character tie-ins?

Maybe.

But wait a minute... MK has always been the favorite of the kiddies (and most others as well), and until the last few years, the majority of the characters tie-ins were confined to Fantasyland. So are we saying we want all 4 parks to essentially be giant Fantasylands?

Or was a siginificant portion of DL/MK's popularity due to attractions like Pirates, The Haunted Mansion, The Jungle Cruise, the Tiki Room, Mission to Mars, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, The Subs, The Matterhorn, etc.?

If we really think Disney is still a top notch creative entity, why is it that we are willing to accept the premise that they no longer have the ability to effectively entertain families without character tie-ins?

True, Epcot never reached the popularity of the MK, but its done darn well, and has continued to outperform the parks created since. And that's with years of relative stagnation thrown in. Don't you think that one of the strengths of WDW is that it has so many different ways of providing family entertainment? I don't think that decreasing that variety in favor of synergistic character tie-ins is the optimal long term solution.

Update Rio del Tiempo. Add more rides to World Showcase. Update the Future World pavilions. PLEASE! But show me you can do something other than depend on synergistic character tie-ins to do it. Show me Disney can still be DISNEY when there isn't an already existing animated film to rely on.

aeronautxearth is offline Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse!
    Why do we necessarily fear this? Disney has never come out and said they are relying SOLEY on characters for this ride, I don't think that we will be riding through an episode of the three caballeros come April. Maybe it won't be as intrusive as we think!
    Tina

Quote Originally Posted by aeronautxearth View Post
    Why do we necessarily fear this? Disney has never come out and said they are relying SOLEY on characters for this ride, I don't think that we will be riding through an episode of the three caballeros come April. Maybe it won't be as intrusive as we think!
    Good point. We won't know until we know.

But the trend has been to use the characters much more liberally in virtually all parts of every park, and my comments are more directed at that general trend rather than any one specific place. That said, I think World Showcase is pretty much the last place where they aren't incorporated into attractions.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I totally agree. I don't have a *problem* with adding the three cablleros to the ride at all. I guess my points really tie into what some others have said and that is that Epcot was always sort of the anti-character park. It had it's own characters to bring to the party (i.e. Figment) and did really well with them. Yeah, there's the occasional character walking around but they are always themed for the area... like the space suited Mickey and Goofy I've got pictures with standing outside Mission Space (or the really old version I have from when the park opened and Mickey wore that dated looking suit outside SE). While I don't "fear" putting the characters onto El Rio, I do fear the idea of overdoing it and finding ways to toss the classic characters into every ride that needs a little oomph.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

disneyveteran is offline 24 trips to the World and counting
    I'm seeing it as if they do put the characters in there, it may make it better for the kids to take in the information. And isn't that the natural theme throughout Epcot, making everything fun and interesting so the kids don't realize they are learning on vacation. I took my kids on it last year and they don't remember a bit, but I bet if there were characters in there they would.
    TINA

2009 April Boardwalk & Beach Club Villas
    2008 July Polynesian Conceierge
    2008 March Beach Club Villas
    2007 July Contemporary Concierge
    2007 April Grand Floridian Concierge/Beach Club Villas
    2006 July The Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
    2006 April Polynesian Concierge
    2005 Contemporary/Grand Floridian Concierge
    2004 Grand Floridian Concierge
    2003 Polynesian Concierge
    2002 Beach Club Villas
    2001 Polynesian
    2000 Polynesian

Quote Originally Posted by disneyveteran View Post
    And isn't that the natural theme throughout Epcot, making everything fun and interesting so the kids don't realize they are learning on vacation.
    Yes, though I'd say that goal is not limited to kids. But the question is, is Disney still capable of doing that without resorting to using the already existing characters? If they are capable, as they certainly once were, then I'd like to see them come up with new ideas rather than relying on the safety of existing characters. The variety of types of family entertainment is one of the things that makes WDW so appealing as a vacation destination.

ChampDisney is offline E-Ticket Holder
    New information has been giving out to me saying that El Rio del Tiempo will have a brand new name change when it reopens. It is called Gran Fiesta Tour!

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    I am so mad this was closed when I was there. I will never have a chance to see the old ride and compare it to the new one.
    Is there a video of this ride anywhere out there?

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

ChampDisney is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Head over to YouTube & type in El Rio del Tiempo, that should give you the video of the entire attraction.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampDisney View Post
    New information has been giving out to me saying that El Rio del Tiempo will have a brand new name change when it reopens. It is called Gran Fiesta Tour!
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...ad.php?t=11090
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

HiddenMick is offline C-Ticket Holder
    i kinda like that ride, but not really. my dad absolutely loves it!
    Can't run away from Trouble, ain't no place that far.

MrsBleuSkye is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I love the ride, and the food at the restaurant. I can't wait to see it. I just booked our next trip for the end of this October and I am as excited as they come.
    ~Stacy~

Aug, 1981- First visit. Off Property
    Dec, 1997- Honeymoon! Off Property
    Oct, 2004- Return trip. 7 yrs was too long to go back. The BoardWalk
    Sep, 2006- Ladies only. PoP Century
    Oct, 2007- Early 10th Anniversary. The Yacht Club
    Feb, 2008- Neice's graduation gift. PoP Century

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast