Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss It's a Small World? in the News & Rumors forums; On the Disney website, I saw that It's a Small World will be closed in WDW from Spring 04 to Spring 05. I thought they were just renovating it to ...
    Princess Jas is offline Princess of Agrabah

It's a Small World?

On the Disney website, I saw that It's a Small World will be closed in WDW from Spring 04 to Spring 05. I thought they were just renovating it to improve the ride, but I read on a Forum on another site that someone had asked a CM there recently and they said that it was being changed into a restaurant. Has anyone else heard this and does anyone know what is really happening to It's a Small World?
    - Jas (Rebecca)

I got engaged at Epcot on June 17, 2007! We're going back to celebrate my graduation in May 2009!

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Princess,

First, let me say !!!

As for the rehab, they are updating the entire attraction, from sound to lights to scenery, etc. I have a photo of the construction in another thread here.

As for the rumors about it becoming a restaurant, I believe they are quite false. Pinocchio Village Haus already overlooks IASW, and I can't see them ever removing this attraction (unless all the wait staff dresses like a small child and sings "it's a small world" during your meal).
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Princess Jas is offline Princess of Agrabah
    I did not think that they would close It's a Small World considering that it is a classic ride. Glad to hear that from someone else I like your concept for the Small World Restaurant, though - it has potential!
    - Jas (Rebecca)

I got engaged at Epcot on June 17, 2007! We're going back to celebrate my graduation in May 2009!

iamdaisyduck is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I was really surprised when I saw that picture! I though they were just repainting it and upgrading speakers and stuff. I hope they keep the same nostalgic look and feel to it!

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Got more pics of it as well Lou. That hole in the window was still there.

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards

Hakuna Matata

Quote Originally Posted by iamdaisyduck
    I was really surprised when I saw that picture! I though they were just repainting it and upgrading speakers and stuff. I hope they keep the same nostalgic look and feel to it!
    No Worries Daisy, they ahd to remove all the sets for at least a couple of reasons, one since there will be fairly heavy equipment involved in this re hab, they need to move the sets to both protect the set pieces and to get them out of the way of the equipment being brought in. If no one has mentioned it yet some of t issues being addressed during this rehab are asbestos abatement (I don't think they havehad any issues with it but they want to keep it that way) and making the lighting in the building easier to replace. I think even those of you who did not notice the lighting was a bit lower than it should have been at times may well notice the difference when the show re-opens. I belive I rember hearing a rumor that as part of this rehab they may even reverse the order of the sets (which would mean making the boats float the opposite direction too presumably...I don't know about that... that may be a case of someone being confused when they found out that they are going to chage the queues (reverse them) to improve loading and crowd flow in that narrow part of Fantasyland, and applying that logic to the whole ride. the other more persistant rumor is that the load area will recieve a facelift giving it some of the elements of the other 3 Small worlds (Anaheim, Urayasu, and Marne le valle') more elegant facades...I hope that one is true!! either way expect to see the same classic show though perhaps with the improvements you will notice bits of it that were not as noticeable before!

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards