Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The WDW Radio Show Disney Podcast Discuss "Hard Ticket" events in the The WDW Radio Show forums; I'm posting this here because you recently discussed the Pirates and Princesses party on the podcast. Lou, you mentioned that some people don't like the "hard ticket" events such as ...
    tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

"Hard Ticket" events

I'm posting this here because you recently discussed the Pirates and Princesses party on the podcast.

Lou, you mentioned that some people don't like the "hard ticket" events such as P&P, and the various holiday events at MK, because it feels like Disney is "nickel and diming" them. You also mentioned that you didn't see it that way, and that you generally liked the events.

Speaking as an annual passholder, these events basically make me feel unwelcome. Disney is saying "yes, you've paid to be here already, but if you don't pay again you'll have to leave (or you can't come in)." This is especially true of P&P, which had not been announced when I renewed my passes.

I know why you like the events, and I understand why they require separate admission (and I don't think it's strictly for the money -- I think that limiting the number of people in the park during these events is probably important for the quality of the experience, and I suspect that is the primary motivation for the separate tickets). However, I think that the impact on passholders of holding too many of these events may not have been fully considered.

Though I wasn't thrilled about the holiday events at Christmas and Halloween (which I at least knew about when I bought my passes), I had learned to live with them. I'm frankly too busy to go to Disney after Thanksgiving anyway, and we just worked around the Halloween party. As it turned out, P&P did not even effect us this year because recent family events have precluded any Disney trips for the past few months anyway.

But we will now have to make other plans for my wife's birthday in August, since P&P will be taking place on the day we would have gone to MK. I am concerned that the addition of even more such events will further reduce the value of my passes (even as the price presumably continues to climb every year) to the point where it will become difficult to justify renewing them. For the first time ever, I'm starting to feel just a little taken for granted by Disney.

Perhaps we're not typical passholders, but our trips to Disney are usually late afternoon through the evening events, so for my purposes if MK closes at 7PM on any given day, it might as well not open at all.

Anyway, I just thought I'd get that off my chest, and maybe solicit opinions from others. Any comments? Any other passholders feel put out by these events? Anyone else feel like the addition of more hard ticket dates involving early closings could make them rethink the renewal of their passes? Anyone think I'm totally off base and just being a whiner? Thanks.

Tony

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    First I would like to add that I wish I could be an annual passholder! We live too far away from the Magic to be able to justify the cost. I think I love MNSSHP so much I would pay whatever it cost to get in. We go every year and I think it is so worth the money. I guess my opinion is that I know they put in a lot of extras for these parties I understand they have to offset the cost by charging extra. For example- there are extra characters out in the park that you never, ever get to see so that costs more money. Plus, the special parade and fabulous fireworks! I can't imagine if they just let everybody in you wouldn't be able to move- it would be too packed.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I'm in the middle on this one.... I've been to MVMCP three times and MNSSHP once, all in the last 2 years. Each time, I spent my time doing the things unique to the parties, rather than trying to go on attractions. I got to ride a few things each night, but mostly went to shows and activities set up for the parties. I was an Annual Passholder the first year.

Two years ago, MVMCP included a free photo; last year they switched to 50% off photopass 5x7's. Also two years ago, the Mickey's Night Before Christmas show featured live musicians; last year the music was recorded. And of course, the price for a ticket was higher.

If Disney truly keeps these special events 'special', then yes, they are worth the extra tickets. But if they are going to cut corners and start doing them "on the cheap," then you really do end up with the $50 cookie. If they just want to keep people in the parks later and charge them more for it, bring back e-ride nights.

I had a great time at every party I attended. The fireworks are outstanding, and the parades are a lot of fun. The park felt either packed or deserted, depending on whether you were at a timed event (like the parade or a show) or just wandering around going on attractions. Would I go back? Yes, unless the price went up too much or they cut out even more of the things that make the nights special.

As for whether these events should make passholders feel unwelcome.... I don't think so. You pay for regular admission to 4 theme parks, so you can still go to Epcot or MGM on the nights MK closes early. There are passholder discounts for certain nights of party tickets, so they aren't neglecting AP holders. There are other nights the parks close early for private events, too, that you wouldn't always know about in advance.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

seriouslydw is offline I need a vacation!
    I myself am also an annual passholder, and have no problem with these hard ticket events. I don't see how me having an annual pass is any different than people that have a normal ticket to get into the parks. I attended both MVMCP and MNSSHP in 2006 and absolutely loved both parties. I spent the entire time at the Halloween party doing special things only related to the party, and only went on one attraction. While I watched the parade at the Christmas party, I didn't see many other shows. Often times there's also an annual passholder discount for these events, so you can get your tickets for cheaper.

I understand being frustrated by having to change your plans, but since you're not attending the P&P party, and you'll be at another park - chances are that park will be less busy. I would think that actually works to your advantage. I definately love all the hard ticket events they have had, and I wish they would bring back e-ride nights!
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."
    Walt Disney

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    As long as the special events don't become so numerous that you seem to always be having to buy an extra ticket, then I'm ok with hard ticket special events. And as was stated before, there are at least 2 other parks that are available till late that you can visit should a special event be taking place in MK. Currently I only am in the Orlando area a few times a year. I have a bigger problem with blackout dates than I do with special events.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    I can definitely see where you are coming from. the Halloween and Christmas things you can accept, they are holidays and Disney is supposed to be extra special during holidays (and "extra" special means "extra" money after all). but to just add some thing in the middle of the year when nothing else is going on seems like an attempt to just grab more money (like they need it).

"hmmm, October through December we make extra money with these 'hard ticket' events, but then it's fairly lean between January and summertime. What can we do to boost our profits during this time?"

"raise ticket prices again?"

"nah, we've done that already."

"I know! We'll have another 'hard ticket' event, except since it's not a holiday, we can just throw in some princesses and some random thing that boys like!"

since when is Disney "Pirate Central"? I mean, they have the ride, and the recent hit movies, but when I think of Disney, pirates are about the last thing that come to mind. and before anyone jumps on me like, "don't bash Disney! Disney does no wrong! they are infallible! dole whips!" keep in mind that I am one of you. a huge fan of Disney, even when the chips are down and I have to defend Disney to my friends. My wife and I, along with my side of the family, will be making the trek down to WDW to enjoy the Very Merry hooplah. My dad is a total cheapskate (even though, let's face it, WDW is for middle-to-upper-economic class people, so no one who goes down there can truly be called a "cheapskate"). He has made the decision already that he is not going to pay extra to go to the Christmas Party and I (almost) agree with him (my remedy for this situation is that I'm just going to buy everyone's tickets and say it is part, or all, of their Christmas present). His logic is that he has paid all this money to get down there (they are driving, we are flying), a load of money for sustenance while there, and sixty-some-odd dollars to get in the park for that day and if the park is open on that day, then he should by-God be allowed inside.

so, long story short, I see my father's side, and your side.... but I'm still going to pony up my hard earned cash to get into the party (and Disney knows it).
    Last edited by the7thAve; 03-24-2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: early morning dyslexia

If we can dream it, we can do it

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve View Post
    "don't bash Disney! Disney does no wrong! they are infallible! dole whips!"

Great post, T.

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    Great post, T.

thanks!!!

If we can dream it, we can do it

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    i'm not happy about the extra money. but i dont get there that often and i'm going during the holiday so i totally wanna take advange of the party they have!!! i'm totally excited about!

i live near kings island but i dont even go there enough to justify a season pass.. i dont go anywhere ike that enough to justfy a pass. once a year is enough for me..
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    I am an AP holder. My wife and try to get to WDW twice a year (I even managed to get there while I was home for my mid-tour leave from Iraq). We really enjoy MNSSHP and often end up the with the "This is Halloween" theme run ning through our heads for days afterwards. We only got to so to MVMCP once and thought it was great.

I can see why people feel a little tired of the "extra cost" events, but overall i think they do not detract. It's just another layer of experience that WDW offers.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    As long as the special events don't become so numerous that you seem to always be having to buy an extra ticket, then I'm ok with hard ticket special events. And as was stated before, there are at least 2 other parks that are available till late that you can visit should a special event be taking place in MK. Currently I only am in the Orlando area a few times a year. I have a bigger problem with blackout dates than I do with special events.
    Yeah, that was kind of my point. I can live with Halloween and Christmas, though I don't really like it. The fact that there are three other parks also helps (although MK is our favorite park, at least 85% of our visits are there, and most of the other 15% we end up there before the night is over). I'm just getting alarmed at the addition of even more such events, with P&P happening not just once but twice this year. Given the popularity (and presumably the profitability) of these events, I worry that Disney will be unable to resist the temptation of adding even more.

Anyway, thanks all for the diversity of opinions here.

Tony

Very thoughtful and well written post, thanks for responding.

aeronautxearth is offline Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse!
    I have a question, related but unrelated. I'm an AP and CM, so I haven't had to pay for much for quite a while, and have never gotten a chance to do a hard ticket event. I want to try the PnP party this year with some friends who aren't passholders. If the event starts at 7, and they are just going to the party, do they still have to pay a one-day base price AND the $50 ticket?

And tizzo, I feel the same way. Most of the time that I do get to go on my free time is in the evening, so I get sad when the only time I can go are on these special event days. It feels like I'm not getting the full value of a pass sometimes.
    Tina

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronautxearth View Post
    I have a question, related but unrelated. I'm an AP and CM, so I haven't had to pay for much for quite a while, and have never gotten a chance to do a hard ticket event. I want to try the PnP party this year with some friends who aren't passholders. If the event starts at 7, and they are just going to the party, do they still have to pay a one-day base price AND the $50 ticket?
    We went to MVMCP on our first night this past December, we only had to show our ticket, didn't have to pay admission on top of that. Hope that answers your question!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronautxearth View Post
    If the event starts at 7, and they are just going to the party, do they still have to pay a one-day base price AND the $50 ticket?
    No, the ticket to the party is all they need to go to the party. Usually they start allowing guests with party tickets only into the park around 4 p.m. (no regular one-day admission ticket required). Of course if they want to go to the parks earlier that day, or a different park for the daytime, they would need a regular admission ticket for that.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast